Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    After having gotten fired a few months back I finally have started receiving unemployment on Fry's dime. Needless to say California's unemployment system takes forever to process claims. Fry's is not very good at defending themselves against unemployment claims fortunately.  

For all the people whining about getting fired by Fry's, I would say that you should file for unemployment ASAP only in that in least in CA it will likely take them a good month or more to get the first check. With the economy the way it is right I don't think unemployment filing are going to be going down anytime soon. Provided you don't cash the first check you can always reopen your case later, but if finding a job takes a few more weeks than you expected you could burn through several months of living expenses easily. There is work to be found, but the opening are more competitive than they have been in a few years.  

Good luck.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's doesn't like people collecting unemployment
    My Fry's Electronics Inc Unemployment Claim was DENIED
    Fry's and Unemployment in the State of Texas
    Hours cut? File an unemployment claim and Fry's will pay you to chill.
    Please make my last post on unemployment a stick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohnW
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    Don't you have to prove that you are still seeking a new job? That is how it is where I work. You have to notify them of each time you send out a resume and you are expected to send out so many per month.  

Congrats on teh won money!
  3.  permalink
    JohnW:Don't you have to prove that you are still seeking a new job? That is how it is where I work. You have to notify them of each time you send out a resume and you are expected to send out so many per month.  

Congrats on teh won money!

Of course you have to be able to work and searching for work. If you are on disability, then obviously you aren't supposed to double dip into the unemployment pool, because that is what the disability and worker compensation funds are intended. By definition of the federal labor department if you aren't willing and able to work then you aren't part of the employment pool and hence not eligible for unemployment, which is why from time to time the unemployment rate will go down despite thousand of people losing their jobs.  

You don't have to notify them every time you send out a resume in CA, but they the state does periodically audit you and request that send them a list of employers whom you have contacted. With the resumes that you email the employer you usually will have some type of response indicating that they received your resume. Technically, employers are required by federal law IIRC to hold onto all these resumes so that state government can verify that someone on unemployment actually contacted perspective employers.  

Since, unemployment is capped unless Congress extends unemployment benefits it really isn't in your interests to sit around and then magically start looking for a job right before unemployment runs out. Especially in an economy where finding a job might get harder not easier. Furthermore, unemployment isn't a princely sum. Even if you unemployment were like AFDC back before welfare reform where you collect for years I still think most people would want to find another job. Every dollar that you earn only reduces your check by about 50c so there is some impetus to work because you can collect a reduced employment check will you work even if it is only a temp position.  

Since I have found at least some temporary work, the unemployment benefits are reduced, but I can still get some money. Unless you are working under the table I think it would be pretty hard to defraud your former employer and secretly be working full time and collect full unemployment checks. I think the fraud division of unemployment would get suspect if you didn't at least do some temp work after two or three months, but what do I know.