Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008 edited
    Free Image Hosting at <a href='www.ImageShack.uswww.ImageShack.us" />  
    I thought it would be funny if it had the caption "and stay out." lol  

Best Buy Calls Cops On You For Telling Fellow Customer Jawbone Headset Is Overpriced, Sucks  
    http://consumerist.com/372959/best-buy-calls-cops-on-you-for-telling-fellow-customer-jawbone-headset-is-overpriced-sucks  

A store manager said it was policy to call the police if a customer gave negative feedback on products. Best Buy Corporate said "It's NOT Best Buy's policy to call the cops whenever a customer shares her experiences with another customer, unless it's "disruptive.""  

Best Buy is ruthless. The want to profit anyway they can. So please stop "disrupting" Best Buys right to make money.

Poll

Is it right to call the cops on customers for disrupting your sale?

Yes2
    29%
    No3
    43%
    Undecided2
    29%

Total Votes: 7

1.  permalink
    I think it depends upon how you are "disrupting" a sale. If you just see random customers talking amongst themselves, I think it definitely in bad taste to call the cops on the customer. If they are truly losing their cool and screaming out loud and cursing at you I think it is reasonable to ask them to leave.  

Generally speaking back when I worked for Fry's I would simply point them to conflicting information and if they want to hold on their beliefs that's fine. For most of the smaller items it doesn't really matter too much which one they buy (the margins will be fat on any of them) just as long as they didn't bring it back.  

Strangely in the two years that I worked for Fry's I only remember someone calling the cops on a guy once and it was because he wouldn't wait for the store manager outside of an employees only area. He may have had legit bone to pick with the store manager, but he wasn't willing to wait for the store manager to come back from lunch.  

What I never understand is how Best Buy manages to survive in areas where there are Fry's stores. They are the only store I know that sells stuff above MSRP consistently. It isn't an accident in the computer, because it seems to consistent. It is certainly deliberate so that they can exaggerate how much you save on the sale items. Unless the item is on sale, Fry's usually is equal or cheaper than BB day in and day out. Unless BB is significantly closer shopping at Fry's would make more sense. I will admit that Fry's sucks at some things, but if Fry's doesn't carry it, BB almost certainly won't carry it.  

Other from better financing offers and a shorter returns lines I can't come up with almost any areas where Fry's could learn from Best Buy, but I could name quite a few areas where Best Buy could learn from Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008
    "What I never understand is how Best Buy manages to survive in areas where there are Fry's stores."  

In areas like Houston we simply don't advertise with exception to newspapers. If all of Houston knew we existed, we simply wouldn't be able to handle the traffic.
  2.  permalink
    Sasquatch:"What I never understand is how Best Buy manages to survive in areas where there are Fry's stores."  

In areas like Houston we simply don't advertise with exception to newspapers. If all of Houston knew we existed, we simply wouldn't be able to handle the traffic.

I can't speak for Houston, but at least in all of the markets that I have visited that have a Fry's(Socal and Vegas) the newspaper ads seem pretty effective at filling the parking lots. In the SF Bay area they have run television ads I recall from visiting the Bay area years ago, but I am not sure that Fry's has ever found TV ads very effective. Maybe it is just the lower ROI, maybe it is just that their TV ads could have been better. Furthermore, BB doesn't run that many television ads. I am not a habitual television watcher, but except during the holidays I can't say I almost ever see ads for Best Buy at all except in the Sunday newspaper. Fry's on the other hand has ads every day except Thursday and Tuesday in most markets. For some newspapers Fry's is probably one of their top advertisers if not the biggest ad buyer. In the OC Register they buy 8 full size pages every Friday plus single page ads in the most of the remaining days to remind you to go to Fry's to pick up something else. Honestly it is harder to miss the Fry's ad. The Fry's ads are usually on the back of one of the major sections of the paper or in an independent insert in between the A section and the B section. The BB or the CC ad is usually hidden within almost an inch of advertising inserts in the Sunday paper. Unless I actively look for it, it is usually easier to just toss it out with the remainder of the ads that I normally don't read. Their ads are FAR easier to miss.  

I am sure Fry's would build another location in one the nearby suburbs or just on the edge of town if they couldn't handle the customer demand. With the current economy somehow I doubt that Fry's is going to be adding additional locations that are near other Fry's locations. Even if Best Buy magically closed every location where a Fry's store was located I think Fry's could handle the extra traffic. CompUSA closing barely caused a blip in traffic at the store I worked at. Consumer spending especially on luxuries(large televisions, high end computers, PS3s, high end AV equipment, etc.) is down. A lot of the items that Fry's makes big bucks off of have seen huge sales declines not just at Fry's, but in across the country. People are just spending less on these items because they are paranoid about their jobs and rising costs make people hoard any disposable income until they feel more secure about their finances. Right now, I think most Fry's employees would prefer more customer rather than less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Best Buy sucks. Even with dozens of locations around the Houston area, they still manage to fill their stores during peak hours. Fry's has only three Houston locations. If 5 million people in the surrounding area knew of us and our superiority over other retailers, we would probably explode. We're under the radar as it is, but still manage to be packed during weekends and rush hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    Seriously Best Buy seems like a racist store all you see is white people WTF hire some middle easterners to liven things up man!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  3.  permalink
    Sasquatch:Best Buy sucks. Even with dozens of locations around the Houston area, they still manage to fill their stores during peak hours.

While I hate certain aspects of Fry's I hate BB still more. That being said a lot of the things that I hate about BB(weak selection, terrible prices on non-ad items, even dumber employees than Fry's, poor return policy) don't seem to bother some people. Either that or as you said they don't have name recognition for Fry's or other retailers that are better places to shop. Every once in a blue moon you meet someone who just discovered Fry's and they aren't new to the region, but I don't think that is very common for long time residents who live near a Fry's.  

Another possibility is that they have been to Fry's, but they simply found it too big and overwhelming. I remember when I worked at Fry's a number of people visited Fry's from states where Fry's has no locations were blown away by the size and selection of the store. For geeks, it is heaven, but for a lot of average people it is overwhelming and you have to tell them where common items are because they don't dare waste their time looking for something in a store bigger than a football field. Because of the specialization of the employees towards only things within their department even some employees who have worked for the store for months don't know exactly where xyz is located.  

Fry's has only three Houston locations. If 5 million people in the surrounding area knew of us and our superiority over other retailers, we would probably explode. We're under the radar as it is, but still manage to be packed during weekends and rush hours.

Out of curiosity, how much advertising does Fry's buy in that market? If it is anything like the LA/OC area I doubt almost anyone who subscribes to any local paper in Houston hasn't heard of Fry's. How many pages a weeks does Fry's advertise in local papers and how prominent are the ads?  

That being said Fry's should still consider investing in some non-newspaper advertising since newspapers are declining in popularity. Radio would be a good choice because relative to tv it tends to have a low cost and plenty of people listen to going to and from work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch:Best Buy sucks. Even with dozens of locations around the Houston area, they still manage to fill their stores during peak hours. Fry's has only three Houston locations. If 5 million people in the surrounding area knew of us and our superiority over other retailers, we would probably explode. We're under the radar as it is, but still manage to be packed during weekends and rush hours.

I gotta agree, half the people I talk to say "Ill get that from Best Buy" and I say "NO! Fry's has sales on weekends, I will buy it then!"  
    So many people have not heard of the great majesty that is Fry's. We should count ourselves lucky if we have. Kind of like Ikea in 2003. No one knew...Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Lol, I'm actually planning to go blow a couple grand at Ikea in a week or two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch:Lol, I'm actually planning to go blow a couple grand at Ikea in a week or two.

I feckin love that place.Superhero!
  4.  permalink
    I can't believe anyone even has to have a discussion about this. Short of a customer assaulting someone, calling the police is way out of line.
  5.  permalink
    Former_Frys_geek:
    Sasquatch:Best Buy sucks. Even with dozens of locations around the Houston area, they still manage to fill their stores during peak hours.

While I hate certain aspects of Fry's I hate BB still more. That being said a lot of the things that I hate about BB(weak selection, terrible prices on non-ad items, even dumber employees than Fry's, poor return policy) don't seem to bother some people. Either that or as you said they don't have name recognition for Fry's or other retailers that are better places to shop. Every once in a blue moon you meet someone who just discovered Fry's and they aren't new to the region, but I don't think that is very common for long time residents who live near a Fry's.  

Another possibility is that they have been to Fry's, but they simply found it too big and overwhelming. I remember when I worked at Fry's a number of people visited Fry's from states where Fry's has no locations were blown away by the size and selection of the store. For geeks, it is heaven, but for a lot of average people it is overwhelming and you have to tell them where common items are because they don't dare waste their time looking for something in a store bigger than a football field. Because of the specialization of the employees towards only things within their department even some employees who have worked for the store for months don't know exactly where xyz is located.  

Fry's has only three Houston locations. If 5 million people in the surrounding area knew of us and our superiority over other retailers, we would probably explode. We're under the radar as it is, but still manage to be packed during weekends and rush hours.

Out of curiosity, how much advertising does Fry's buy in that market? If it is anything like the LA/OC area I doubt almost anyone who subscribes to any local paper in Houston hasn't heard of Fry's. How many pages a weeks does Fry's advertise in local papers and how prominent are the ads?  

That being said Fry's should still consider investing in some non-newspaper advertising since newspapers are declining in popularity. Radio would be a good choice because relative to tv it tends to have a low cost and plenty of people listen to going to and from work.

I believe in Georgia, Fry's pays $40,000 to put their ad in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.  

flea: Seriously Best Buy seems like a racist store all you see is white people WTF hire some middle easterners to liven things up man!

Heh, the Duluth location is FILLED with people of Asian or Indian decent.  

In any case, the whole Best Buy thing. I believe their sales last quarter were down 77%. That is a REDICULOUSLY high number. And everything I hear about Best Buy is terrible coming from Customers. Our largest competitor pricewise is Brands Mart USA, but the layout of that store is dizzying.Why is there an S in Lisp?
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    That Guy in Duluth:
    Former_Frys_geek:

I believe in Georgia, Fry's pays $40,000 to put their ad in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.  

flea: Seriously Best Buy seems like a racist store all you see is white people WTF hire some middle easterners to liven things up man!

In any case, the whole Best Buy thing. I believe their sales last quarter were down 77%. That is a REDICULOUSLY high number. And everything I hear about Best Buy is terrible coming from Customers. Our largest competitor pricewise is Brands Mart USA, but the layout of that store is dizzying.

That Guy in Duluth:
    Former_Frys_geek:

In any case, the whole Best Buy thing. I believe their sales last quarter were down 77%. That is a REDICULOUSLY high number. And everything I hear about Best Buy is terrible coming from Customers. Our largest competitor pricewise is Brands Mart USA, but the layout of that store is dizzying.

Seriously there is like maybe 12 white people in the whole store (Duluth). ALMOST no white females...although with Courtney in computers that is enough :face-smile: