Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008
    I noticed this alot at Fry's Electronics ... Employees are promoted or are giving special treatment because they like the person and not how long they have worked at the company. Some of the benfits of being liked or kissing ass are : promotion, good schedules, never getting in trouble or written up, not ever doing returns. I can name alot of employees that have this special treatment but thats not my point my point is why does it happen in the first place? I think this is so stupid!

Poll

Do you think employees should have special treament because they are liked or kiss ass?

No - Why should they this is stupid!4
    22%
    Yes - Fry's is fucked up like this!8
    44%
    Fry's should have senority rules6
    33%

Total Votes: 18

Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008
    Jeremey Jach  
    Paul Macias  
    Mohamed Mohamed  
    Khalid Mohamed  
    Alberto Soliz  

All these employees get some sort of special treatment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorknowitall
    Everyone here in the cashier department knows Paul kisses ass to get what he wants after all thats how he got promoted from being in his rat cage in eCage to Sales in the first place. Paul don't even own a computer I heard let alone know shit about computers WTF!
  1.  permalink
    All workplaces to some degree have this issue of whether people are promoted for nepotism, seniority, or some type of objective or subjective merit. Ideally promotions would be purely based upon merit, but we realize for a myriad of reasons that rarely occurs even in industries where it theoretically could be very close to a theoretically possible.  

Being a former Fry's employee I can say that one of the big reasons that I did leave Fry's was because I felt that managers took nepotism far too much into consideration above other more pertinent factors. I know a number of people that ought to have been fired that were held on the payroll reducing the number of hours and by extension commission opportunities for people who were more valuable employees by almost any classification. I even felt that some on the young women that the company employed were overlooked for promotion because they weren't pretty enough or just that the supervisors were at least slightly sexist.  

I think tenure should have some role, but tenure by itself beyond a few months shouldn't factor too heavily in any promotion decisions. After about 3-4 months I pretty much knew how to do almost all of the common tasks one would do on the floor. After about nine months our sup 1 was asking me when I would be an MT. After about 9 months most people should be able to be a MT if they really have been paying attention to what the supervisors are doing (making sure customers are being helped, downstocking/upstocking is happening, ad changes happen, etc). I knew people that had been there years that weren't in sales because they didn't have the desire to sell and I knew people that management moved into sales after a month or two that really had the gumption to chase after sales and more importantly close sales. I knew people who were hired straight into sales and then were MT in less than six months and supervisor in nine months. While I have seen some people whose promotions appeared nepotistic some people get promoted over more tenured employees because they simply have higher aptitude for the job and or greater interest in learning the business.  

I don't think anybody should be promoted into management in less than three months only in that I think one should at least some experience in doing the job on the people that you are managing, but beyond that I think that mastery of your current job title and demonstrated ability to succeed at your a higher level job should be a far bigger factor than tenure with the company. I knew at least one employee that was a supervisor that was a former manager with a different chain, so it wasn't like he had no management experience. He just had to learn Fry's policies and a few differences here and there and he became one of the best supervisors in my opinion even though other supervisors that had years more experience.  

I don't think anybody should be given a promotion because they haven't been stupid enough to get fired for x years. That doesn't obligate the company to give you the next open management job. Any company that works like that I wouldn't stay with for very long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxyvermax
    he doesn't even have a car. I saw him walking under a sunny weather.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    xyvermax:he doesn't even have a car. I saw him walking under a sunny weather.

I saw his ass on the city bus.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Why were YOU on the bus?
    •  
      CommentAuthorknowitall
    How will he pick up his many gf's and the girl he got pregnant and take her to the doctor without a car?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    It happens EVERYWHERE else.  

Get over it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    There is going to be some drama soon with the new positions opening up in computers can't wait to see what happens the Management Trainees are getting pretty upset they been skipped so much...serioulsy this will be fun to see what happensFry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  2.  permalink
    i dont think the promotion will be in the department i think there going to transfer in for the spoti love it when they call me big papa