Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWorker
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013
    I mean most of the time I get to just stand around and wait for a customer to look at something that pays then you just jump into a conversation, build a pseudo-friendship and then get some credit. Sure some customers are a pain, sure some managers suck. Honestly though it's not bad working on full commission. I mean what does best buy pay maybe 9-10 an hour for sales? We make more money during the holidays, (well if you are sales, sorry about you cashiers and merchandisers)
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Who honestly thinks you can mak a carrier out of working at Fry's?
    I really hate working at Fry's
    Is it that bad working as a Computer Service Tech in Fry's?
    What do you think Fry's future will be in this recession?
    With the economy down how secure do you think your job is at Fry's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013
    I pretty much pulled $1000+ every single week throughout December so far. It's not bad at all, money wise... but true a lot of customers, and I mean A LOT of them are assholes and a total pain to deal with. My solution is just dumping those customers and going to those who are going to make you $$ instead of waste your time. Half of my managers are assholes and half of them are cool as cucumbers. I don't interact with or listen to the managers I hate, and chill with the managers who are cool. As I've said before, people have done MUCH WORSE and still haven't gotten fired yet because they make sales and make the company money. No worries here. I have a way around just about everything.  

Last time I checked Best Buy salespeople make around $12 an hour. I've been pulling $20+ an hour for more than a month now, and regularly average 17-18.
    •  
      CommentAuthorqwertyguy
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    You could be doing worse... Also you could def be doing a lot better.  

For me it has a lot to do with the environment, Its loud ringing in my ear noise. General: toxic products from china, over dressed code, whom are they kidding? and there's just something not right. Yuk
  2.  permalink
    Fry's certainly wasn't the best of places to work, but I personally got a lot out of my time there as a salesman. Yes, commission-only sales is a tough environment, and Fry's policies certainly don't make things easy, but I would highly recommend this type of job to a young 18 to 20-something who is in need of good real world experience.

Now with that being said, I highly encourage young Fry's employees to seek better career options in the meantime since Fry's is no place for a career. The last thing you want from Fry's is to be stuck in a shitty middle-management position for years getting paid jack shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
    I personally know several HIGH INCOME customers who walk into my store all the time to pickup expensive shit from me. One of them literally comes in every single week and picks up $3K+ worth of stuff... all from me. Last items I sold him were TWO ASUS G750 gaming laptops and 10 ASUS PA248Q monitors. He puts the PSCs on them just because it helps me, not that he ever would need it. It's good to have nice relationships with rich people if you work in a commission based environment. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    BTW he was the same guy who bought all 6 of our GTX Titans from me back awhile ago when we had them in stock.
  3.  permalink
    ... Or... You know... You could quit Fry's and get a real career. Become the rich one coming into Fry's all the time to buy expensive stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    Guest: ... Or... You know... You could quit Fry's and get a real career. Become the rich one coming into Fry's all the time to buy expensive stuff.

Workin on it honey
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    Getting a "real career"? You say that like it's the easy thing to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    Guest: Getting a "real career"? You say that like it's the easy thing to do.

It might not be "easy", but it's the wiser thing to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4446
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014
    Here at Store 29 it was dead the whole week. I barely made it out of the draw but seriously most of the sales people were just scrapping for anything that paid.
  4.  permalink
    Even though my employment at Fry's was recently terminated I do not regret working there and I would still recommend it to friends & family. My recent transfer to the San Diego location has been an absolute disaster... that is an issue I will deal with internally and by legal means.

What is really important to remember, at Fry's, is recognize that it IS a big store with a lot of entry-level opportunities. If you are seeking a "real" career but do not have the experience in that field then there is a way to achieve this at Fry's. For example, If you need technical skills then it is not difficult to transfer to the Service department. There are also a lot of management opportunities and several of them are part-time such as Customer Service Supervisor and Service Technician - Management Trainee.

It may be difficult to understand so I will give an analogous example: When people think of McDonalds they normally think of "unhealthy"; however, a teacher decided to experiment with this eating at McDonalds everyday BUT eating the proper diet and nutrients recommended... He LOST ~ 40 lbs and his health improved. unReliable Source: http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-nearly-40-lbs-eating-only-mcdonalds-2D11863528

So the same goes for Fry's. When some people think of Fry's as "bad", "bad customer service", "uneducated", etc. (anything negative) then they believe that they will not be able to achieve much afterwards. Fry's even has a policy that does not allow employment references by your supervisors to preserve their "confidentiality" so you can't even get a decent or personal reference that suggests you were a "good" worker; all references go through the Benefits Department at Home Office and they give the same reference for each person whether you were a "superstar" or a shitty (sorry) employee who got terminated... so there is no motivation to be the best

... BUT... it's just like going to school: Merely getting an A in course doesn't mean that you learned anything (going to Fry's and getting a pay check doesn't mean anything). Make sure you learn it, work it, and do the best that you can so that when it is time for a "career" you can use those skills in an interview and your new work setting.

I hope some of you found this helpful.
  5.  permalink
    Has anyone here worked as merchandiser or customer service associate before? I heard it's $8 flat for merchandiser while $8 + commission for every $1,000 for customer service associate. Is customer service associate a better job position than merchandiser? As merchandiser it seems they work part time as cashier while also doing the inventory stocking. So that seems like a lot of hard physical labor for $8 flat. Customer service associate, the cashier, just seems better somehow...

I want insights from Fry's employees though.

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
    People who quit Fry's (as in not getting fired, but rather shove a VQ in their manager's face) feel much more happier afterwards, so that should answer your question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 644
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
    Both jobs suck. They are not the kind of job that you can live off of. Why anybody going into these jobs thinks otherwise is beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    Go figure, the ones who keep their mechandiser position for $8 with hard physical labor + cashier runs are the ones who are "special"... in nicer words. Or I could just say mild retardation. At least it's this way at our store. It's not their fault though... $8 an hour for hard labor is better than $0 an hour sitting on your ass at home. At least they have a job despite their disadvantage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    ...and I'll bet they're extremely grateful that Fry's hired them, and work extremely hard to do a good job there - right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    ObiWan: ...and I'll bet they're extremely grateful that Fry's hired them, and work extremely hard to do a good job there - right?

Pretty much sums it up
  6.  permalink
    I work as a CSA other than it being able to pay for my books and gas money to go to school it is a shit job, so is Merch. With CSA you have to ring people up, do returns, plus be a janitor, and a cart pusher.

Merch they have to organize the shelves, clean up their department, be a cashier, do stupid cashier drills at least once a day and then if they are unlucky they have to stay a while.

Unless you are in school, and need a part time job find a better one. That is what I am actively seeking.
  7.  permalink
    Even though I started as a Customer Service Associate and was quickly moved to Customer Service Supervisor, I recommend the Merchandiser position if you believe that will be at Fry's - full time - longer than 6 months.

That commission amount is so tiny that it's almost negligible. It is better to prepare for other positions ie. sales or sales management positions which Merchandisers will work more closely with. This is better for promotions within in Fry's.

If you believe you will be there for a short time I believe that the "skills" of a Customer Service Associate can be tailored towards other cashiering/administrative jobs where Merchandisers might be viewed more as a "cleaner" sort of position (even though they are the same as CSA, the outside perception is different). If you are part-time, there are part-time Customer Service Supervisor positions which are possible to obtain; $11/hr part-time with management experience is helpful for future career goals... even if it's at Fry's... the positions are extremely easy and because they try to cut hours/labour in Customer Service all the time it is easier to gain a flexible schedule.

Of course all of this varies from store to store but this is the trend that I have noticed.
  8.  permalink
    Is there anyone here who worked in loss prevention? $9 per hr standing there just seems easy. I'd like some comments on this position.
  9.  permalink
    I worked at Fry's for 7.5 years, 5.5 of which, I was a supervisor. In that time, it had its ups and downs. But the last 2 years, as a Supervisor was pure hell. With the cut in pay from going from % of each advocacy and department, to having a starting line to the absolute bullshit of making the supervisors sale and be in direct competition with the associates we were supposed to be in charge of. The amount of petty bull crap from sales people (some of them, we had a few that were very good, and did what they could to help out the supervisors), the bull crap from home office (oh you sold all those items that were very high in profit and made lots of commission? Lets cut the commission and keep it same GP so we can make more money), to the bullshit politics in the store. I would not recommend working for them. I greatly enjoyed the first 5.5 years. It was an awesome place to work, awesome people to work with, and the policies overall seemed to help the employee succeed. Its been about 1.5 years since I quit, and I walked in on Black Friday of 2013, and the parking lot was half full. Shelves empty, I saw a supervisor ripping an employee a new one ON THE FLOOR with customers standing around watching. I am very glad I dont work there anymore.
  10.  permalink
    I recently jumped ship and I'm honestly loving it. :) I was a part-time Service Tech for 1.5 years and am happy to be out of that frustrating and dysfunctional work environment with crappy pay and now on to bigger and better things.

With that said, I still don't consider my time at Fry's a waste. One learns a great deal about how to work with other people (occasionally ones you don't like), react to different situations in a clear and resourceful manner, get jobs done with little direction/supervision, and most importantly work efficiently when under pressure. These situations are certainly not unique to Fry's and if you can do these things well you'll be a more viable job candidate almost anywhere. I also made friends with several really cool, talented, and smart individuals of which we could all commiserate together.

However, one of the things that bothered me most about Fry's is the shady and Draconian company culture that's pretty much in the air in every store, and even more so in Home Office. There is lying, breaking policies for personal gain, and employee favoritism happing right and left. It's almost like you're in a mini 3rd world country. There is also so much red tape and restrictions everywhere that prevent common sense solutions to problems that shouldn't even be a big deal.

The foundation of the Service Department is heavily flawed and it's design is bloated, inefficient, and rotten to the core. As a Service Technician you are responsible for performing repairs, checking in repairs over the counter, issuing loaners, taking phone calls, testing returned computers, and repairing store units. All while filling out massive amounts of paperwork for all those things using extremely slow, unstable CRM and Point-of-Sale software that don't interface together at all. Many of my days I felt more like a secretary than a technician.
    A typical day is to constantly be interrupted from working on repairs every 5-10 minutes by phone calls or other customers coming to the counter. Often I would get interrupted from repairs so often that simple easy repairs like a hard disk replacement would take me 10 hours to do instead of 10 minutes. In addition, because you have no protection while working on repairs, newly checked-in units will pile up fast. Then customers become frustrated that their repairs aren't finished in a timely manner and you're left with nothing to do except make up some excuse at the last minute as to why it's not done because you can't exactly tell them the real reason. Also, equipment provided to us for repairs was difficult to find and didn't work properly 80% of the time. It was really ghetto and unprofessional working conditions.

People who come to the Counter:
    Essentially, 90% of customers who come to the counter are there to waste your time.

40% People brining merchandise from other departments to the counter to ask for buying advice instead of asking the sales associates
    30% People who want to ask for free technical information to avoid having to pay for service
    20% People demanding free tech support for products they don't know how to use
    10% Real customers who actually have a computer that requires service

What's worse is that most of these non-service-related customers were being sent to us by associates from other departments. 80% of all associates in my store were morons that like to avoid doing their jobs and dump as much on the Service Department as possible. Associates from other departments would tell customers crazy things like that we do free tech support, we'll pair their bluetooth headset for free, that we repair rice steamers, or that we give free buying advice.

I could write a book about it but that's most of it in a nutshell xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014
    Guest: I recently jumped ship and I'm honestly loving it. :) I was a part-time Service Tech for 1.5 years and am happy to be out of that frustrating and dysfunctional work environment with crappy pay and now on to bigger and better things.  

With that said, I still don't consider my time at Fry's a waste. One learns a great deal about how to work with other people (occasionally ones you don't like), react to different situations in a clear and resourceful manner, get jobs done with little direction/supervision, and most importantly work efficiently when under pressure. These situations are certainly not unique to Fry's and if you can do these things well you'll be a more viable job candidate almost anywhere. I also made friends with several really cool, talented, and smart individuals of which we could all commiserate together.  

However, one of the things that bothered me most about Fry's is the shady and Draconian company culture that's pretty much in the air in every store, and even more so in Home Office. There is lying, breaking policies for personal gain, and employee favoritism happing right and left. It's almost like you're in a mini 3rd world country. There is also so much red tape and restrictions everywhere that prevent common sense solutions to problems that shouldn't even be a big deal.  

The foundation of the Service Department is heavily flawed and it's design is bloated, inefficient, and rotten to the core. As a Service Technician you are responsible for performing repairs, checking in repairs over the counter, issuing loaners, taking phone calls, testing returned computers, and repairing store units. All while filling out massive amounts of paperwork for all those things using extremely slow, unstable CRM and Point-of-Sale software that don't interface together at all. Many of my days I felt more like a secretary than a technician.  
    A typical day is to constantly be interrupted from working on repairs every 5-10 minutes by phone calls or other customers coming to the counter. Often I would get interrupted from repairs so often that simple easy repairs like a hard disk replacement would take me 10 hours to do instead of 10 minutes. In addition, because you have no protection while working on repairs, newly checked-in units will pile up fast. Then customers become frustrated that their repairs aren't finished in a timely manner and you're left with nothing to do except make up some excuse at the last minute as to why it's not done because you can't exactly tell them the real reason. Also, equipment provided to us for repairs was difficult to find and didn't work properly 80% of the time. It was really ghetto and unprofessional working conditions.  

People who come to the Counter:  
    Essentially, 90% of customers who come to the counter are there to waste your time.  

40% People brining merchandise from other departments to the counter to ask for buying advice instead of asking the sales associates  
    30% People who want to ask for free technical information to avoid having to pay for service  
    20% People demanding free tech support for products they don't know how to use  
    10% Real customers who actually have a computer that requires service  

What's worse is that most of these non-service-related customers were being sent to us by associates from other departments. 80% of all associates in my store were morons that like to avoid doing their jobs and dump as much on the Service Department as possible. Associates from other departments would tell customers crazy things like that we do free tech support, we'll pair their bluetooth headset for free, that we repair rice steamers, or that we give free buying advice.  

I could write a book about it but that's most of it in a nutshell xD

About that part where us sales associates send stupid customers to service for "free tech support"... yes, makes a lot of sense because you get paid to do it. WE DON'T.  

As computer sales, I make money STRICTLY OFF SALES, don't forget that! I don't have time for some ignorant customer walking up to me and asking me how to setup his home computer to communicate with his office computer. I don't get paid for it... even if I know the answers I won't bother wasting my time to help that customer who won't make me jack shit by not buying anything. To service department it is!
  11.  permalink
    r3j3ct, I am perfectly aware that you guys are pure commission only. However, where you mentioned that we are paid to do free tech support, that is only HALF TRUE and just like you I didn't like having my time wasted by some idiot who isn't going to buy any service and is just trying to steal my knowledge!

In Service Department, knowledge and expertise is the product we sell, so free tech support is essentially theft.

Yes, Service technicians are hourly ($8/hour or less outside CA) + commission . We make green dollar ONLY if the department sells enough service to match the company's weekly projection. (which most of the time is unrealistically high) If we don't, then we get paid shit (hourly + a few cents). Also, if any techs are slacking off giving away free tech support and not selling as much service as other techs, then they make everyone else's pay go down! Which that was the case in my store's dept for the last 3-5 months. Also time being wasted keeping those ignorant time vampires at bay I could be using to be a technician and finish a repair so then I could call the customer, have them pick up their unit, and pay me for any subsequent owed labor charges.

To make a long story short, I was going to be at the counter for more than 5 minutes there better be a diagnostic or some other labor charge being sold! Otherwise me and my coworkers were losing money!

Refer those people to the manufacturer of the product for tech support. It's not your job and it's not ours either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014
    I'll keep that in mind. Good info there Mr. Guest 29416.  

At least I stopped transferring calls of either stupid customers or GOD FORSAKEN CALL CENTER to you guys, like I used to do awhile ago.  

Nowadays I see a call from the call center, it's a simple answer and hang up. If I receive a call from a random customer asking for tech support over the phone, I straight up tell them we don't do tech support and hang up. The only calls I answer are from within the store (sometimes making me money).  

But definitely good call. I'll just tell those dumbass illiterate customers to refer to manufacturer.
  12.  permalink
    Lol!! Call Center is a joke. They just hire people off the street and the only requirement they is that the person has a pulse.
  13.  permalink
    My first job was at frys, I was a sales associate and I didn't like the fact that we are commision based only. Other than that, I was doing merchandise only, not making any money at all. Which got me into a $358 draw. I signed my first notice, and my second notice after a week, asking if I have another week to make it out. Assistant store manager replied with yes. So me, all happy about it made myself work my ass of and made it out of the draw when three days later the store manager calls me and gives me a suspension for making it out "too late."

I don't think it's fair but the policies they have is just and excuse my language 'bullshit'
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Guest: My first job was at frys, I was a sales associate and I didn't like the fact that we are commision based only. Other than that, I was doing merchandise only, not making any money at all. Which got me into a $358 draw. I signed my first notice, and my second notice after a week, asking if I have another week to make it out. Assistant store manager replied with yes. So me, all happy about it made myself work my ass of and made it out of the draw when three days later the store manager calls me and gives me a suspension for making it out "too late."  

I don't think it's fair but the policies they have is just and excuse my language 'bullshit'

Obviously you didn't try for shit. It actually takes effort to fall into draw. Sit around and do nothing and that's one way. Your own fault for merchandising only. I never do the merchandising, always selling. Why do something that doesn't pay you? SELL SELL SELL. If a manager tells you to merchandise you tell him/her to fuck off and KEEP SELLING. You do realize they can't fire you for NOT MERCHANDISING right? They'll fire you for draw instead.  

In case you didn't realize, they probably want you gone and therefore told you to merchandise so you can't make sales, then fall into draw. Come on you gotta be smarter than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    r3j3ct:
    Guest: My first job was at frys, I was a sales associate and I didn't like the fact that we are commision based only. Other than that, I was doing merchandise only, not making any money at all. Which got me into a $358 draw. I signed my first notice, and my second notice after a week, asking if I have another week to make it out. Assistant store manager replied with yes. So me, all happy about it made myself work my ass of and made it out of the draw when three days later the store manager calls me and gives me a suspension for making it out "too late."  

Obviously you didn't try for shit. It actually takes effort to fall into draw. Sit around and do nothing and that's one way. Your own fault for merchandising only. I never do the merchandising, always selling. Why do something that doesn't pay you? SELL SELL SELL. If a manager tells you to merchandise you tell him/her to fuck off and KEEP SELLING. You do realize they can't fire you for NOT MERCHANDISING right? They'll fire you for draw instead.  

In case you didn't realize, they probably want you gone and therefore told you to merchandise so you can't make sales, then fall into draw. Come on you gotta be smarter than that.

Ah, the shady shit management will make you do in sales. :face-devil-grin:
  14.  permalink
    Walking out of Fry's was a great promotion! Making more money and not dealing with the crap!
  15.  permalink
    r3j3ct, not everyone works in a big store like City of Industry or the Texas locations, there are some very small fry's locations where it is very easy to go into the draw for a bit. A few of the smaller stores are ghost towns half the time and there is way too many sales associates on the floor at the same time