Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormyelbow4
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    My main reason for wanting this job is to improve my people skills. I have always had poor conversational skills. Do you find that a sales job at Fry's has helped you improve your social skills a lot? I am a freshman in college getting a CS degree and this will be my first job. I only plan to work for 2-3 months during the summer. The Fry's near me is 25 minutes from my house but I have a best buy less than 10 minutes from my house. I would be more motivated to work at Fry's because of the commission and I think that would help my people skills more than a Best Buy job where I would just walk around pretending like I am doing something.  

I would like to have a computer sales position. Is it hard to get that position?
  1.  permalink
    If you plan on working at Fry's for 2-3 months, don't tell them that this is your plan. They won't hire you. Also, after you quit, there is no chance of you getting hired back next summer period. I would go for employment at a different company. Once in which you can up front and honest about your intentions and possibly return at a later date if you desire. None of this is possible with Fry's.
  2.  permalink
    Wow, I really butchered that 2nd to last sentence. Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthormyelbow4
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Guest: If you plan on working at Fry's for 2-3 months, don't tell them that this is your plan. They won't hire you. Also, after you quit, there is no chance of you getting hired back next summer period. I would go for employment at a different company. Once in which you can up front and honest about your intentions and possibly return at a later date if you desire. None of this is possible with Fry's.

I figured most places don't want to hire people for 2-3 months so I don't plan to tell them. I don't plan to work for them later because I will be getting internships the following summers.
  3.  permalink
    myelbow4: My main reason for wanting this job is to improve my people skills. I have always had poor conversational skills. Do you find that a sales job at Fry's has helped you improve your social skills a lot? I am a freshman in college getting a CS degree and this will be my first job. I only plan to work for 2-3 months during the summer. The Fry's near me is 25 minutes from my house but I have a best buy less than 10 minutes from my house. I would be more motivated to work at Fry's because of the commission and I think that would help my people skills more than a Best Buy job where I would just walk around pretending like I am doing something.  

I would like to have a computer sales position. Is it hard to get that position?

If I were you, I'd honestly just be a cashier somewhere if you want to learn how to make idle chitchat. Fry's sales is a sink-or-swim environment. They give you a name badge and throw you in the shark tank. If you know computers and you're not sociable, you will be the guy who gets to answer all the tech questions and never make any money. If you must work for Fry's, go to service or component sales (you make hourly+commission in components).
    •  
      CommentAuthormyelbow4
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    myelbow4: My main reason for wanting this job is to improve my people skills. I have always had poor conversational skills. Do you find that a sales job at Fry's has helped you improve your social skills a lot? I am a freshman in college getting a CS degree and this will be my first job. I only plan to work for 2-3 months during the summer. The Fry's near me is 25 minutes from my house but I have a best buy less than 10 minutes from my house. I would be more motivated to work at Fry's because of the commission and I think that would help my people skills more than a Best Buy job where I would just walk around pretending like I am doing something.  

If I were you, I'd honestly just be a cashier somewhere if you want to learn how to make idle chitchat. Fry's sales is a sink-or-swim environment. They give you a name badge and throw you in the shark tank. If you know computers and you're not sociable, you will be the guy who gets to answer all the tech questions and never make any money. If you must work for Fry's, go to service or component sales (you make hourly+commission in components).

idk I feel like selling computers would be so easy. Just wait for someone to start looking at a computer and walk up to them and ask if they need help. Chances are if they are looking at computers, they are planning on buying one. You don't really have to sell anything, just answer their questions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014 edited
    You are wrong.  

People will "window shop" and seek answers for their technical questions; the best sales associates are not just sociable, they are able to identify customers who have the most potential of purchasing a commission item.  

Fry's might have shitty Customer Service but people know that there is likely at least one person who has decent product knowledge and this is an opportunity for them really see and touch the desired product. Even if you were able to convince them to purchase the product in store with the Internet Price Matching policy or any Low Price Guarantee / Competitive Price guarantee, your commission would be drained from the discount; your goal is to accessorize them and/or to up-sell them on products that do pay you.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014 edited
    The best sales people are not the ones who only know the product. They are the sneaky and sly little weasels who weave in and out of customers to snatch that big dollar item or steal somebody else's customer when they walk away. I am a computer science graduate with over 15 years of experience in hardware and software. Even though I know the answers to the customer's questions, if it doesn't lead to a decent sale, I will play dumb and pass them on. That's how you make any sort of money at Fry's. I don't spend the gas money to drive to work to offer free technical support. I sell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014
    r3j3ct: I am a computer science graduate with over 15 years of experience in hardware and software. E

...and you work at Fry's....? You've wasted your degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014
    ObiWan:
    r3j3ct: I am a computer science graduate with over 15 years of experience in hardware and software. E

...and you work at Fry's....? You've wasted your degree.

Until I get a job pertaining to my degree, I still make a decent amount at Fry's. It will be soon... :)
  4.  permalink
    At least r3j3ct has a job and is working. Don't be so judgmental ObiWan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    ObiWan is right though...  

Even if you were to get a measly internship in Computer Science, I have seen a bunch that pay over $20/hr. I don't understand why someone would be wasting their time unless it was a second-job hobby sort of thing.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Initially, I applied for a Sales position at Fry's because I thought it would be fun to sell stuff. However, they looked at my past employment history (which had been largely computer repair) and I also had a bunch of certifications, so they hired me directly into Service. Later on I realized what a meat grinding sausage factory Fry's was and was somewhat happy about being in service, but to be honest, every department at Fry's has its pro's and con's (but mostly cons). I'm convinced that management keeps an ear out for what departments are fun to work in so that they can give them the latest shitty job that no one wants to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Apply if you don't mind cleaning the restrooms with uncomfortable clothing.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    flea: Apply if you don't mind cleaning the restrooms with uncomfortable clothing.

Only for cashiers though, if you're not very bright, they'll put you behind a register.
  5.  permalink
    Alright well I have social anxiety and I'm in sales. I am able to talk to customers now no problem but still life outside of that I'm still a nervous wreck and avoid talking with anyone unless required.

So it'll slightly improve your social skills, but only to the point of just explaining things to people and learning how to deal with assholes.
  6.  permalink
    Frys hires very young people, older people, and anyone that is inexperienced and can be easily taken advantage of. Frys walks a very fine line regarding legal/ illegal exploitation of its employees. Be prepared to work backstock or the warehouse for no pay if you are a commission only salesperson. The excuse that you are doing busy work "between customers" is BS. Anything that takes you off the sales floor should pay you hourly or you should refuse to do it. Got a complaint?, keep it to yourself because Frys doesn't really care about anything except GP numbers. I hope they go under soon, but I would really like to have the cool light fixtures in the cafe. Bottom line is that no one should work for a company like Frys, and the way they treat most employees is borderline criminal. Look else where, best of luck!
  7.  permalink
    Maria Burgos will have her tires slashed sometime in the near future
Add your comments