Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchFrys
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    I've been through various career stints and ended up at Frys' thanks to our volatile economy and moved on to better.  

Out of all the jobs I've had ranging from white collar to blue collar, Frys' was the most difficult and thankless job I've ever had.  

After my Frys' stint and popping into the stores for immediate need knickknacks, I have seen many talented peeps stuck because, maybe, that is all they are comfortable and acclimatized to doing.  

I am curious to know how many had moved on and found a better life after a so-called career at Frys'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    I have a buddy who worked at Fry's with me for 2 years and he moved on to be a car salesman. He's making a lot more there, so I feel happy for him.
  1.  permalink
    Aren't we all training to be car salesman? Or just maybe make it up to middle management positions still not getting paid jack.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    I'm 5 years gone now from fry's. Got a nice government job that pays more than double in just wages (also get much better benefits + pension which puts it closer to 4x in compensation) for doing much less work and a lot less stress.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014
    I was at Frys for a little over 3 years and I can happily say that I have found a much better job. Now I work as a Technical Support Advisor for a company that actually cares about their employees.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  2.  permalink
    Nice, wasn't 5 years ago the best year to work for Frys? I know some people got locked into a decent hourly rate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCervantes
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014
    There seems to be 3 kinds of employees I've seen at Fry's.  

1. Assholes who think they are going to be rolling in commission dough. They're total sharks to new employees and half the time end up pissing off the customers because they're so pushy and rude. Sometimes if they stay long enough they end up as managers. Store managers even.  

2. Total weirdos who may have some kind of mental illness. They're nice, and I'm the sort of person to encourage and embrace unconventional people, but some of these guys come off as only a couple of rungs above the crazy homeless man who bites dogs.  

3. Nice guys who are decently sharp and could really go somewhere, but they've unfortunately settled, thinking Fry's is the best they can do. Sad, because they seem like people who could legit do good work, but instead they're wasting their life at Fry's.
  3.  permalink
    I used to work as a part-time service tech at one of the Northern California stores. Happily moved on.
  4.  permalink
    I left Fry's about 3.5 years ago from the Service Dept. This was my first real job out of high school. Today I make double that with better benefits.

I learned fast and surpassed everyone else; my only issue is I stuck around too long and didn't allow myself to keep growing in IT.
  5.  permalink
    Abandoning my job at frys was the best decision of my life. Plus, the money from the lawsuit wasn't bad either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014 edited
    I was fired back in March. I like to think I'm better off. I'm not dead nor poor, so that's a good thing. I worked there for 8 years, and they canned me. I think the Computer DM, promoted to ASM had something against me. Shortly after he became ASM, I was fired. :face-plain:I shit trains, Now what?
  6.  permalink
    Fuck Ruben,
    He takes Alfonse tiny ISIS wang in V-Con during the day, I hate when he baby sits a.v.
    He also smells very bad, like swamp ass--use some Gold Bond nigga!
  7.  permalink
    Sounds like store # 25.
  8.  permalink
    Quit nearly 4 years ago from Service Dept. Bay Area store.

My average was ~$34k/yr, shit benefits.

Today, $85k/yr, awesome benefits and very flexible schedule, and doing way less work.

Only regret is I didn't quit sooner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    I shall update this thread, moved on to being a software dev myself. $45k at Fry's to $60k starting, will eventually make my way up to $100k. Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheNewGuy
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    45 grand! Bull shit dude! Foo i only make 9 dolla holla a hour!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014
    TheNewGuy: 45 grand! Bull shit dude! Foo i only make 9 dolla holla a hour!

r3j3ct took the time to get an education and to learn how to do software development. Perhaps if you spent less time with your homies and hoes, and more time learning and applying yourself, you might be able to find a better job. But I doubt that'll happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014
    ObiWan:
    TheNewGuy: 45 grand! Bull shit dude! Foo i only make 9 dolla holla a hour!

r3j3ct took the time to get an education and to learn how to do software development. Perhaps if you spent less time with your homies and hoes, and more time learning and applying yourself, you might be able to find a better job. But I doubt that'll happen.

He'll just stick to his petty $9 an hour plus the drug money he makes... he can still make quite a bit. Only difference is he has to live everyday stressing out and hiding from the cops until he eventually gets caught one day, and I get to work for a respectable company that offers amazing benefits and pay... not worrying about breaking any laws, but doing more good to the technological world.  

You see, that's what distinguishes an educated high class individual and a low life thug. End of story.
  9.  permalink
    It feels good to be out of frys, Landed a job with Oracle!
    Nough Said.. frys sucks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    Guest: It feels good to be out of frys, Landed a job with Oracle!  
    Nough Said.. frys sucks!

Congrats!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7115
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    I'm finally gone from frys. It feels weird not being a slave anymore.
  10.  permalink
    "It feels good to be out of frys, Landed a job with Oracle!"

Not sure this is an upgrade.
  11.  permalink
    Guest: "It feels good to be out of frys, Landed a job with Oracle!"  

Not sure this is an upgrade.

While we don't know about the job in question I would feel more confidant of the long term viability of Oracle than Fry's. In some ways I am surprised Fry's hasn't closed any stores yet. Even if the guy got laid off from Oracle I imagine that it would be easier to spring board that job to something better than sticking with Fry's.
  12.  permalink
    Guest: Nice, wasn't 5 years ago the best year to work for Frys? I know some people got locked into a decent hourly rate.

The best time to work at Fry's was <2007. Even before the recession hit commission was getting less lucrative and Fry's was behind the curve on some shifts in the industry. (e.g. they were slow to the game on netbooks before tablets ate that market) Amazon and Newegg really have taken a big cut out of retail electronics sales. I remembered a former Store Manager that said nobody needs any of the stuff we sell. For the most part that's true. People could wait in most cases and with the rise of Amazon Prime the waiting became less significant and retail has struggled ever since. CompUSA and Circuit City are both gone now and Best Buy has already closed some stores and there may be another round of closures. Fry's has staved off closing stores, but the handful of people I know that still work there have seen their hours cut and pay cut. I am shocked how many people stick around Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    I visited Fry's today to buy a CPU with a promo code. Lots of new faces since I left not too long ago. Lots of old ones too. Many floating around desperately looking for customers. I feel for them. They don't possess the shark skills I had when I worked there to make my decent wages :face-devil-grin:
  13.  permalink
    Used to work at Fry's. I know of its "Golden Era" times aswell since I was through even before 2007. Past that it went downhill and pretty fast.  

I was in the position of cashier supervisor and management until I was canned.  

I now work at Disneyland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfunkyj
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2014
    Worked at Fry's for about a year. Had a family emergency and needed to fly home. Manager said "You can't get family leave, so you might as well quit."  
    I stopped selling purposely for seven weeks, got fired with the widest smile on my face, and was hired two days after my fire date making the most money I've ever made in my life.
  14.  permalink
    Liana Mei here (can not get into my old account). Got fired, been working at a Doctor's Office for the last four years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014 edited
    Yeah, I moved on before I was even fired :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2015
    r3j3ct: I shall update this thread, moved on to being a software dev myself. $45k at Fry's to $60k starting, will eventually make my way up to $100k. Awesome!

Congrats man. Glad you made it out alive. :face-smile:
  15.  permalink
    "3. Nice guys who are decently sharp and could really go somewhere, but they've unfortunately settled, thinking Fry's is the best they can do. Sad, because they seem like people who could legit do good work, but instead they're wasting their life at Fry's."

I was one of these people for 7.5 hours. Until home office dicked over the supervisors and screwed over our pay. I left and now work for a Fortune 500 company, making twice what I made at Fry's. Better benefits, and much better perks. I am happier now.
  16.  permalink
    Hmm I meant 7.5 years lol
  17.  permalink
    I used to work in the Service Dept as a Technician in a Bay Area store. My last year (~4 years ago) I made around 34k. I now make 86k/year working about 35 hours a week, and stress free... So yeah, according to your title I moved on and ended up better. :)
  18.  permalink
    I'm on the same boat. Already over $100k!
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015
    Guest: I used to work in the Service Dept as a Technician in a Bay Area store. My last year (~4 years ago) I made around 34k. I now make 86k/year working about 35 hours a week, and stress free... So yeah, according to your title I moved on and ended up better. :)

Which Bay Area store, I was at 21 in service, but left over 6 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    t0rrent:
    Guest: I used to work in the Service Dept as a Technician in a Bay Area store. My last year (~4 years ago) I made around 34k. I now make 86k/year working about 35 hours a week, and stress free... So yeah, according to your title I moved on and ended up better. :)

To both of you, I also worked at 21! I started in late-2008 so I am not sure if I had an opportunity to meet you.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015
    Josh:
    t0rrent:

To both of you, I also worked at 21! I started in late-2008 so I am not sure if I had an opportunity to meet you.

I was out on workers comp at that time. I was the one who came back from it and almost immediately gave my two weeks notice. ASM (can't think of his name right now) was asking how much they were paying me to start. He replied that sales associates can make that much. I asked him if they got that working mon-fri 8-5 with two weeks vacation starting and pension. He got mad, tried to get me to stay for "spending all that money to fix my shoulder" and told him nope. Walking out the door the last day was one of the most liberating moments of my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015
    t0rrent:
    Josh:
    t0rrent:

I was out on workers comp at that time. I was the one who came back from it and almost immediately gave my two weeks notice. ASM (can't think of his name right now) was asking how much they were paying me to start. He replied that sales associates can make that much. I asked him if they got that working mon-fri 8-5 with two weeks vacation starting and pension. He got mad, tried to get me to stay for "spending all that money to fix my shoulder" and told him nope. Walking out the door the last day was one of the most liberating moments of my life.

Does your name start with an M, and was the injury motorcycle related? If this is true, then I know and remember who you are.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015
    Nope, starts with a C. I re tore my shoulder while at a customers house installing their router. Fry's rushed me back after I had shoulder surgery a couple years prior, then wouldn't work around my rehab schedule, so I wound up needing a second shoulder surgery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015
    Ah, I don't think I had the chance to meet you, or maybe it was extremely brief. I started in late October 2008.  

Was Andy the Store Manager yet when you were working? I know Andy just transferred to the Store around the same month I was hired. When I was being interviewed, Danilo was still the AVDM; by the time I was hired, he was the CSM.
  19.  permalink
    To Josh & t0rrent, as Guest 43037:

I worked at Campbell, store 6.
  20.  permalink
    I used to be at 21. There was a guy at 21 who's an attorney now. And another guy that works for NASA. Wow, I need to quit retail jobs.
  21.  permalink
    @ 41380

Nearly everyone moves on from Fry's for the better. There's only the few that move on to, say, Best Buy, and end up in the same endless retail circle. My heart goes out to you folks.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015
    Josh: Ah, I don't think I had the chance to meet you, or maybe it was extremely brief. I started in late October 2008.  

Was Andy the Store Manager yet when you were working? I know Andy just transferred to the Store around the same month I was hired. When I was being interviewed, Danilo was still the AVDM; by the time I was hired, he was the CSM.

Yeah Andy was the manager. Probably the best at the store. I wish I could remember the asm's name when I left. Danillo was cool as well. I went on workers comp in September, came back at the end of March. Sad that Paulo is still there. Fry has really broken his soul, he could do so much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited
    Cervantes: There seems to be 3 kinds of employees I've seen at Fry's.  

1. Assholes who think they are going to be rolling in commission dough. They're total sharks to new employees and half the time end up pissing off the customers because they're so pushy and rude. Sometimes if they stay long enough they end up as managers. Store managers even.  

2. Total weirdos who may have some kind of mental illness. They're nice, and I'm the sort of person to encourage and embrace unconventional people, but some of these guys come off as only a couple of rungs above the crazy homeless man who bites dogs.  

3. Nice guys who are decently sharp and could really go somewhere, but they've unfortunately settled, thinking Fry's is the best they can do. Sad, because they seem like people who could legit do good work, but instead they're wasting their life at Fry's.

lol, classic. I think there's also a 4th type of employee though, and that's the hopelessly trapped employee... their kid is in the wheelchair, their wife is battling cancer, they're struggling with the diabetes or the melanoma or they had some tragedy in the family, they're raising a kid all by themselves because their husband/boyfriend skipped town/dumped them/died or there was a fire at their house and they've been trying to get back on their feet over the past 2 years, and the list of hopelessly trapped, beaten down people just goes on and on.  

We had so many employees at our store who were literally like, "punch in at X, punch out an Y, collect check and use it so my family can survive for another 7 days". It was so depressing... it was like looking into a crystal ball and seeing what my life COULD become if I were to take on a little responsibility and have it totally blow up in my face, only to then have the weight of the world on my shoulders every day until I die.  

Then whenever I'd talk to them... I'd always realize they actually had REAL hopes and dreams at one time in their life, until this responsibility fell on their shoulders, and they had to give up everything that they originally hoped their life would be (teacher, councilor, pilot, graphic designer, chef, nurse, etc etc) all to meet this family responsibility. After a while, I came to think of Fry's as, "the place where dreams go to die".
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    At my Fry's (22) everyone's very young and have usually gone on to bigger and better things.  
    But I guess you could say I am one of those trapped types. But I'm somewhat young myself so I don't need to worry about actually falling into Randy Fry's Rat Trap.  
    The money he gives to a person like me, and a few others, is only icing on the cake.  

Fry's is the place where dreams go to die only if you don't invest in yourself with the right things. Otherwise, it's a cheap springboard with a lot of free time (if you can find it) for getting the hell out of whatever situation you're in.  

Things that are useful for not being a Fry's shill are good laptops, creative software, mics, graphics tablets, printers, microcontrollers, among other things.  

Listen here guys. If you work for Fry's, DO NOT do it to play your Steam games or whatever, (before you say "BUT...") do it to cheaply and effectively make yourself a pariah before you can get smacked down hard.  
    Having a hard time saving money? Stop going to the Cafe. Stop buying video games.  
    Want to not spend so much money on a high end computer? Invest in a computer than can also assist you in something you're good at. You don't need the best processor with the largest graphics card if all you do is play LoL. Don't invest in a cheap ass computer that you can only use to stream movies, either.  

I've seen people become game designers, computer technicians, Dell employees, component manufacturers, programmers, comic artists, animators ...etc. etc. ...Fry's is definitely a trap... but you can get out.
  22.  permalink
    I worked at Fry's for 7 1/2 years, left to go work for Dell and now work at VMware. Crazy to think I was a Supervisor only 2 1/2 years ago and am now working at a giant software company.
  23.  permalink
    Guest 21804... store 22, dept 1? If so... I'd like to say it's been a pleasure working with you and I wish you the best at Dell! We're all gonna miss you and you know it! Don't be a stranger!! I fear for the department now that you're gone. I honestly think it's gonna fall to complete and utter #@!$ and thanks to our shitty store manager I don't think there's hope for this place anymore. As for us mortals still there, time to start job hunting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAllo Allo
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015
    I used to work at one of the stores in the Bay Area and I've gone to better places. Starting my first day on the week of Black Friday as a merchandiser, only being taught on how to use a cash register, I was freaking out, as all of my new coworkers. Just sweating and feeling ashamed working there because I got a college degree (BA) just that year.  

I was sad, depressed, worried about money at the time and I took the job because they were the only ones that called me.  

After working there for 1 1/12 years, I left for a new job and now work for a State job. Better pay, a pension, no health benefits yet, currently going back to school, I'm so happy after getting out of that trap of a job. I still chat and hang out with some of my old co-workers and it's all good.  

Too many good and bad things I'd say about the place and people, but in the end, Randy Fry should've became a football player or a math teacher so less people would suffer. :face-smile:
  24.  permalink
    Guest 34645 ... my gut tells me Guest 21804 was from Computers.