Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014
    I've been in the San Diego and San Marcos stores in the last few weeks and software and computer related items are fading fast. Some departments are beginning to look like a combination of Toys Are Us and the As Seen on TV Store. Whazzup??
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    CSAs: What is the largest AMEX transaction you have seen so far?
    Have you ever seen a Frys employee fired after just one customer complaint?
    Seeking advice on purchasing a large (85") TV in the Bay Area
    anyone seen this video?
    Ask an Ex-Components Manger anything
  2.  permalink
    Retail of books, videos, music, and software isn't very profitable anymore because those are all moving to online distribution now (legitimate or otherwise). Why drive to Fry's to buy a game and park and stand in line and deal with the surly cashiers and door nazis when you can just go on Steam and download it at home?  

In the old days, downloading hundreds of megabytes over a 56k connection was a real pain, but now with cable internet you can download software in less time than it takes to put the boxed copy in your cart at Fry's. Same with music and movies (do they even have music stores anymore?). Why go to the store and buy a CD and fight with all the plastic wrap and whatnot when I get it with one click on iTunes?  

So software is toys and infomercial crap now, cause those can't be downloaded (yet).  

I noticed the same phenomenon in Barnes and Noble last time I was there — half the store was toys and junk.
    •  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014
    You're probably right. I bet the Fry Brothers would like to bail on quite a few leases these days.
  3.  permalink
    diogenes: You're probably right. I bet the Fry Brothers would like to bail on quite a few leases these days.
    Actually, they own their stores. Which is probably the main thing keeping them from joining CompUSA and Circuit City in the big shopping center in the sky.  

I dream of the day Fry's calls in the liquidators and turns off the lights for good.

472px-2009-02-26_Circuit_City_store_closing_everything_must_go.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2014
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    diogenes: You're probably right. I bet the Fry Brothers would like to bail on quite a few leases these days.
    Actually, they own their stores. Which is probably the main thing keeping them from joining CompUSA and Circuit City in the big shopping center in the sky.  

I dream of the day Fry's calls in the liquidators and turns off the lights for good.

Why so glum, chum? A year ago, you were Fry's biggest defender. REAL job show up? If so, congratulations, and good luck!
  4.  permalink
    skullywag:
    Chris_Tomkinson:

Why so glum, chum? A year ago, you were Fry's biggest defender. REAL job show up? If so, congratulations, and good luck!
    You mean in that thread from a year ago where I said Fry's demise was taking too long? (http://frysforum.com/discussion/3364/watching-frys-slow-motion-crash-and-burn) Or the one from two years ago where I asked if they were even trying to be competitive anymore? (http://frysforum.com/discussion/2815/does-frys-even-pretend-to-be-competitive-anymore).  

I guess I just have a complex view of Fry's in particular and retail in general. And yes, I have moved on career-wise since my time at Fry's.