Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandy_Fry
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    I just wanted to let the members of this site know that our associate are treated with the utmost respect and are fortunate to be able to earn a decent hourly wage in these tough times. Customers and fellow team members please let me know of anything that our company can work on. Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    Randy_Fry: I just wanted to let the members of this site know that our associate are treated with the utmost respect and are fortunate to be able to earn a decent hourly wage in these tough times. Customers and fellow team members please let me know of anything that our company can work on. Thank you.

Oh boy, where to start...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014 edited
    test
  1.  permalink
    Sorry, I call fake. Sales associates make commission, not hourly and many associates that ARE paid hourly make minimum wage. Where was Randy when we were made to work 16+ hrs on Black Friday with no overtime because our time cards were falsified? Treated with respect? That's a laugh. I sure felt respected when I was required to do warehouse work and stocking merchandising at no pay! Work on that, jerk off! Frys is run by crooks and managed by idiots! Worst place I have ever worked and probably the worst customer service ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Guest: Sorry, I call fake. Sales associates make commission, not hourly and many associates that ARE paid hourly make minimum wage. Where was Randy when we were made to work 16+ hrs on Black Friday with no overtime because our time cards were falsified? Treated with respect? That's a laugh. I sure felt respected when I was required to do warehouse work and stocking merchandising at no pay! Work on that, jerk off! Frys is run by crooks and managed by idiots! Worst place I have ever worked and probably the worst customer service ever!

Hmmmmmm you mean it's not the REAL RANDY FRY??? *GASP* OMFG...... :face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheNewGuy
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014
    Shit son! Pay me da money!!! 2 stacks at least bro!!!!
  2.  permalink
    Guest: Sorry, I call fake.
    Of course it's real. They wouldn't let people use fake names on the internet.
  3.  permalink
    Randy_Fry:...please let me know of anything that our company can work on. Thank you.

As VP I also want to extend an offer to hear of any concerns that our associates may have.
  4.  permalink
    shut up kathy. you're annoying az fuk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2014
    Teach me the ways of the dark side, Randy. The Emperor is dead and Obi-Wan can't teach for shit.
  5.  permalink
    The problem is the management. You guys do not value your employees as people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2014 edited
    Okay I'll bite (I don't know for sure if Randy and Kathy are real, but I'll just respond under the assumption that they are since it's a legit topic).  

So first off, welcome to the board Randy, ditto Kathy. If you guys really are asking for input on here, then I'd have to say that's a big step for the company. When I think of the Fry's culture, the first word that comes to mind is "Groupthink", which I know a lot of companies battle to prevent (with varying success), but which seems to be especially pervasive within the management teams at Fry's. So kudos if you're genuinely trying to expand the knowledge base.  

I think my two main suggestions have to do with Culture and Innovation, since I think that culture has the biggest influence on keeping the company innovative ("idea people" won't stick around long if they feel their company discourages fresh ideas and real innovation) and because Innovation has the biggest influence on making the company competitive. Since culture is a much more complex issue (along with the question of how the current culture came to be and how to improve it), I think I'm just going to focus on innovation more than anything else in this post.  

So my first suggestion, is actually more of a question for you, and that question is: Does the company have any plans to create a central, fast, easy to use computer platform/database that connects all departments, processes and procedures together so that they can be executed in a fast, easy, and intuitive way?  

I left Fry's in mid-2011, so I don't know what changes Fry's has made since then. But when I worked in Service, we used about half a dozen databases (sugar, pos, scheduler, web-based ones for parts and technical info, and others that I know I’m forgetting). Things that should have been simple, always took forever because nothing was integrated together (database A never talked to database B, and customers could never find out information on their own that was contained in any of the databases). 85-90% of our time in service was sucked up by the check-in process, fielding phone calls from customers who were always wanting to know when their repair would be back from SST (home office), or scheduling installs or deliveries for other departments (since the scheduling platform wasn’t integrated into the platforms that other departments could just use directly without our help).  

Customer Service was fast, so long as they were just dealing with a cash or credit card purchase. Anything outside of that narrow window and the train would come off the rails, depending on processes that were so non-intuitive, only the most senior people would know what to do.  

Sales always depended on their paper quotes to do anything, which could only be generated by a slow system that chugged (especially now from what I hear, and especially at peak hours). If they need to schedule deliveries, they have to go to service before ringing the customer up, and that process is so non-intuitive that people in service always had to work there a few months before scheduling them on their own (or they’d often miss a critical step).  

I could go on and on, but it probably wouldn't be helpful. Really what all this comes down to is the idea that the company needs something fast that connects all the pieces together in a scalable and easily modifiable way, that's also extremely intuitive. After I left Fry's, I actually went into the process improvement industry, where I now go to companies, find out how they work, and build scalable software platforms for them to grow with their businesses. After I got into my current industry, I began to truly realize that creating systems with apple-like user interfaces (where things get done with nothing but scan guns, mice, and card readers) is entirely possible, it just takes the will to do it.  

As an example, the systems that we build for companies, are scalable and object-oriented. Meaning if a department realizes that they need a system that keeps track of X, someone can just add that object (tab) to the existing system (so that it can be integrated in with the data, processes, and automation used by other departments), add the required fields for that object and any additional desired automation, and do it all in about 2-3 hours by people with limited knowledge of code. Where as I feel that Fry's technology solution is very much like an unmovable kluge, where so many complex processes are in place to account for modifications to other complex processes, that it's like a massive ball of rubber bands where no one knows how to wipe the slate clean to come up with something simple and logical from scratch.  

So I guess that's my real question to you... "what's the technology game plan?"  

Some improvements that COULD be undertaken with a coherent central database like that in place would be the following:  

1) Instead of paper quotes, all sales reps would wear a keychain scrunchy on their wrist with a plastic bardcode that looks just like the kind that supermarkets give customers (to put the stores "club cards" on the customers keychains). You could also include the barcode on the employee name badge as an alternative. Any time a customer needs something, the sales rep just scans their employee barcode, scans the item, then scans a "barcode scrunchy" that they give the customer to put on their wrist. If the customer already has one from an item from another department, the associate just scans the one the customer is already wearing. So "logging onto a computer, entering your ID, entering the item info, and printing out a new version of the paper quote for every item that gets added throughout their visit to the store", gets reduced down to: 1) scan your badge, 2) scan the item, 3) scan the customers existing scrunchy, or scan a new one for them and put it on their wrist. Taking items off the quote would be done with equal speed (scan the customers scrunchy barcode, then scan the item being taken off -- ie. scanning them in the opposite order). There's really no need to constantly use paper quotes for everything when customers already know how much their stuff costs, especially when customer service just scans the barcode and tosses the quote.  

2) Put in kiosks where customers can check themselves in for service (their contact info portion), give them the ability to make appointments from home (like apple) and give them the ability to check the status of their repair online and via a command prompt through the phone (like someone checking a prescription at a pharmacy).  

3) Create POS interfaces for BOTH customers and associates that resemble a touch screen self-checkout at a store. Aside from the fact that everyone's using self-checkout now, associates should be able to handle any situation intuitively, and how intuitive a system is to use depends entirely on its interface.  

4) Instead of packets of paperwork taped to the machines in service for every check-in, only one thing should ever be printed... a 4x6 label with a big barcode, that has the contact info, problem description, and repair type -- Manwar (in Red), PSC (in Yellow), Cash (in Green) -- and whether a back up is required, all in nice big font, maximizing the label space, and then stick the label directly on the machine being serviced. I can't recall all the times when paperwork got mixed up since we didn't have a central database that could store all the signed paperwork electronically in the Fry's system.  

I could go on and on much like this, but really the key is to just implement a base framework where the system can be changed and scaled *easily* (with input given during weekly v-con meetings or whatever method seems to draw suggestions out of associates the most) using the Agile programming philosophy (compared to Waterfall, which seems to be the programming philosophy employed the most at Fry's). The people who know what needs to be changed most are always on the front lines. It's just a matter of figuring out on a regular basis what those things are, and how they can be incorporated into existing processes in an automatic, or extremely intuitive way.  

Lastly, since I know there will be processes that might get overlooked at first as you "reinvent the wheel", you could actually take advantage of the fact that you have multiple locations by implementing the new framework, improvements, and Agile programming philosophy at just one location, where that store could monitor and test it throughout the development (giving their constant feedback), before rolling the changes out to other stores. The San Jose/Home Office location would probably be the obvious choice, but either way, treating one store as the continual pilot/"sandbox" store would help to minimize any inconveniences to customers or associates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2014
    ^^ Kudos to above poster for actually trying...  

I don't have much to say, but here goes nothing:  

1. Stop cutting commissions on price matches, at least don't cut it all or still at least give us most of the commissions.  
    2. Actually keep up with inventory so I don't have to tell every single customer something is "out of stock"... AKA PAY YOUR DAMN VENDORS!!  
    3. Stop pushing PSCs like it's the end of the world. Customers want to have a good experience shopping, not get bullied and pressured by shark salesmen to buying useless protection plans. Most people are smart enough to know that they are huge profit margins for the company and a HUGE RIP OFF!! Stop setting UNREALISTIC GOALS for PSCs, instead, make it so that if we DO manage to sell them, it's nothing but a commission bonus.  

I'm pretty sure I'll come up with some more later...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1901
    On the off chance that Randy or Kathy sees this:

Some things I would like changed:
    1- GET RID OF BX STICKERS! I know that on paper it may save you money, but in the store itself all it does it put a load of shitty half-opened boxes on the floor that makes the customer doubt whether the product is good or not. When the POS system says that there are 7 laptops in stock, I go to the cage and find out that they are all BX stickers, then the customer doubts if that computer is good or not. I know you don't get as much money by returning the item to the vendor for credit, but it makes your stores look disgusting. On top of that, hardly anybody buys them. I have a laptop that has been sitting around for 3 years because it has a BX sticker on it.

2- Either fix WebQuote, or give us the old POS system back. Why is it that the sales floor is the only place that doesn't use the old POS system? Front Check Out, Returns, Service, they all use the old POS system. Why? Because it WORKS. The new WebQuote is ugly, has WAY too many popups, is slow, and has counter-intuitive keyboard shortcuts. With the old POS system, I can write up a quote in less than 30 seconds. In the new WebQuote, 2 mins min.

3- Upgrade our terminals. Only 5/11 terminals work in my department. And they're all at the podium. If I had terminals that had more than 256mb of ram and a 1.0 ghz celeron processor, I might be able to get things done quicker. Also, Windows XP is outdated. I've had customers who question why we still use XP when the support for it has ended, and it's less secure. Honestly, it's not that hard to create a new image using Windows 7.

4- PSCs aren't working. With competitors like squaretrade, and the fact that every other retailer offers warranties that cover EVERYTHING for HALF the price, it's amazing we still have idiots that buy the PSCs.

5- IP's affecting commission. I've noticed that whenever somebody wants to price match a laptop, the salesperson pretty much ignores them. Why? Because they get NOTHING out of it.

6- Treat your employees better. Look at costco. They pay their employees handsomely, and treat them with respect. Have you ever seen an unhappy costco employee? No. They are always more than willing to help the customer. Have you seen an unhappy Fry's employee? Let me rephrase that. Have you ever seen a happy Fry's Employee (Besides the managers who do nothing but treat other associates like shit, and get paid to do it)?

Bottom line: TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER AND YOUR CUSTOMERS WILL BE HAPPIER.

The average review for a Fry's store on Yelp: 2.4 stars. The average review for a Costco store on Yelp: 4.6 stars. Hmmmm.

RANDY FRY: FIX YOUR STORES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1901
    7- Inventory. Multiple times I've sold a customer a computer, he's ready to get it, and then BAM! Either all we have is the floor model, BX stickers, or it's completely out of stock. I can't sell computers that don't exist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2014
    Guest: 7- Inventory. Multiple times I've sold a customer a computer, he's ready to get it, and then BAM! Either all we have is the floor model, BX stickers, or it's completely out of stock. I can't sell computers that don't exist.

After getting burned a couple times I always check inventory before I get some customer excited about one particular computer or w/e it may be. Inventory at my store is outrageously PATHETIC btw...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014
    Get rid of the crappy top 100 pop music playing in our stores and let us choose what music we can play, like it was before!
  6.  permalink
    "3- Upgrade our terminals. Only 5/11 terminals work in my department. And they're all at the podium. If I had terminals that had more than 256mb of ram and a 1.0 ghz celeron processor, I might be able to get things done quicker. "

That is a problem with your service department not keeping the equipment in working order. Every new terminal build in my store gets 2-4gb ddr3 (depending on what the system is used for) and a minimum of a dual core processor.
  7.  permalink
    Counter interview question:

Why should I work for Fry's compared to any other retail company?
  8.  permalink
    As a salesperson there is nothing worse then finding out that the item my customer is interested in pays me $0.0 in commission. Think what ad items are...loss leaders. By Fry's constantly operating in Permanent Sales Mode, we simply train the customers to shop only when the items are dirt cheap. We also are casting a net for bottom feeder shoppers. They do not care about specs, they don't want to hear about PSCs--they just want the cheapest item possible.

If you are a draw salesperson you PAY Fry's $8.00 an hour to work on the floor. That is how draw works. Why in the hell would I want to pay to help a customer?

So what happens is a culture of cherry pickers. The second IP comes up, many salespeople drop the customer on the spot.

There should never be a case that we are not paid on something we sale. Even in the car business they have a "mini" when a car is sold with no profit.

The legality of inside retail salespersons on a 100% recoverable draw aside, at least offer something even when the item is not profitable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    Hey Randy Fry. Tell Store 48 to ease off on the transfers. This is getting fucking insane with the amount of shit we need to put away from your god damn warehouse.
  9.  permalink
    I ask that Randy Fry send information to the admin to prove his identity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014
    Don't hold your breath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014
    I doubt its really Randy Fry but if so, I just want to say that at my particular store we have a big problem with keeping the restrooms clean. The Mens room is especially dirty most of the time. Why can't Frys just pay somebody 8 bucks an hour to keep the restrooms clean and take out the trash. Thats it. Safety Sweep is a joke. Most cashiers dont give a damn and all it does is waste time. Seriously one janitor would keep the cashiers at the registers and returns where they are supposed to be and merchandisers in their departments where they are supposed to be as well. A dirty restroom is a sure bet to keep customers away. Really wish this could get taken care of. Just my two cents
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    Aviator08: I doubt its really Randy Fry

"Ya think, DiNozzo?
  10.  permalink
    The restrooms are bad because Frys won't hire janitors when they have minimum wage associates to clean them instead. Watching them round up the carts and sweep the parking lot in the rain is very sad indeed.
  11.  permalink
    Can I write you a quote for that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2014
    How's business?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    Guest: Can I write you a quote for that?

"Can I re-write your quote for that?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    Sales Person #1 "That's my Be Back"  
    Sales Person #2 "He Never mentioned your name!"  
    Sales Person #1 (to customer), "Sir, I was at lunch and I do have it in stock and will get that for you right away..."  
    Customer to Sales Person #1 " You know that I did ask for you but the other sales person (#2) said you didn't work here any more..."  
    Sales Person #2 " You are going to TK that with me, Right? "
  12.  permalink
    1.Can I write you a quote on that back massager that you picked out? It will make your checkout go faster.
    2. Runs away and returns about 3 minutes later with a quote.
    3. Customer takes the item to checkout and asks cashier how this piece of paper makes me checkout faster. Cashier says that this quote ensures that the salesman gets his commission. Customer (retired man in his 50s) gets irate and says that this jackass did not help me out at all!

4. Customer returns to my department and uses foul language while yelling at me for wasting his time. I state that I'm paid commission only and will do anything to ensure I make minimum wage.
    5. Customer laughs and says that he hopes I enjoy that petty pay while he makes 500k every year, retired and Im not kidding when he said that he sleeps with girls my age! (Im 21 years old)
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014
    Guest: 1.Can I write you a quote on that back massager that you picked out? It will make your checkout go faster.  
    2. Runs away and returns about 3 minutes later with a quote.  
    3. Customer takes the item to checkout and asks cashier how this piece of paper makes me checkout faster. Cashier says that this quote ensures that the salesman gets his commission. Customer (retired man in his 50s) gets irate and says that this jackass did not help me out at all!  

4. Customer returns to my department and uses foul language while yelling at me for wasting his time. I state that I'm paid commission only and will do anything to ensure I make minimum wage.  
    5. Customer laughs and says that he hopes I enjoy that petty pay while he makes 500k every year, retired and Im not kidding when he said that he sleeps with girls my age! (Im 21 years old)

Damn that's harsh. $240 an hour is no joke. That's a lot of monies my friend. My best week at Fry's was only about $45 an hour. He has every right to make fun of us "low life worthless scums" because he is superior in every way because he makes so much more than us. Sigh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheNewGuy
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    U still here bro? Let me live in yo motha fuckin mansion!
  13.  permalink
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
    Heheheh....I think all the above actually DO believe Randy posts here. Been shoveling it too long to notice when it's being shoveled back...LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheNewGuy
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2014
    I confess Im downlow sometimes
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 713
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    How do I clock in and out? It was my first day in training but my supervisor did it for me.
  14.  permalink
    Guest 713:
    Step 1 - Go to TimeClock machine (Where your sup did it for you) (It's generally next to the manager's office)
    Step 2 - Slide your namebadge through the timeclock
    Step 2b- If it says your name, you're clocked in. Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
    Step 3- Find the "MIC" or "PIC" card (Most of the time directly above or sitting on the timeclock)
    Step 4- Swipte the MIC/PIC card
    Step 5- Enter the password 1 2 3 4 5
    Step 6- Swipe your badge once password is accepted.
  15.  permalink
    Fuck Woodland Hills Fry's. Service Department is filled with a bunch of morons, software department is ran by some closet fag and the components department is ran by some chinese midget. This whole place needs to become a giant walmart. Kathy and Randy can both lick a dick. Nobody who works there is happy and I know of 7 employees there who do heavy drugs.
  16.  permalink
    Sounds like Guest 13239 just got fired from Fry's WH because he/she couldn't hack it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    Randy_Fry: I just wanted to let the members of this site know that our associate are treated with the utmost respect and are fortunate to be able to earn a decent hourly wage in these tough times. Customers and fellow team members please let me know of anything that our company can work on. Thank you.

what about your customers and tricking them into buying warranties you know darn well your planning to reject. I have had ex employees tell me management orders them to do this and they laugh about it at happy hour
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    Kathy Kolder:
    Randy_Fry:...please let me know of anything that our company can work on. Thank you.

As VP I also want to extend an offer to hear of any concerns that our associates may have.

What about your warranty fraud...you trick customers into buying the warranty then refuse to make repairs on your crummy merchandise  
    Forbes should write up an article on this subject
  17.  permalink
    Hello Randy,
    I've been working corporate for numerous years. I've learned allot being here and really want the company to prevail. Not allot of people at this company keep this devotion for a company while being under payed and mistreated. I believe in the goal set and what this company can do. Your staffing is the reason to your loss GP over the years. I don't feel comfortable faxing a telll randy within the company so I hope you see this or someone else does and learns from my mistakes. I trusted benefits here at frys kathy in particular. She has been over heard discussing my issues, disclosing my personal record and her personal opinions about me outside of her cubical. Things like I'm a trouble child and I should be dispensed have been mentioned. I want to bring this to light because I'm feeling without a helping hand the few associates that have heard are afraid to speak up due to the fact that your company has the perception that if you cause problems you will let go. If Randy you find this irrelevant I hope someone else learns from my mistakes it doesn't matter how harassed you feel and how hard you work. If someone in benefits or an old timer doesn't like you. You need to start looking at other places or further assistance. Kathy doesn't care what you have to say and Lisa only listens to what Kathy says. This isn't a form of HR this is protect your buddies. DO NOT TRUST THEM
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2014 edited
    Guest: Hello Randy,  
    I've been working corporate for numerous years. I've learned allot being here and really want the company to prevail. Not allot of people at this company keep this devotion for a company while being under payed and mistreated. I believe in the goal set and what this company can do. Your staffing is the reason to your loss GP over the years. I don't feel comfortable faxing a telll randy within the company so I hope you see this or someone else does and learns from my mistakes. I trusted benefits here at frys kathy in particular. She has been over heard discussing my issues, disclosing my personal record and her personal opinions about me outside of her cubical. Things like I'm a trouble child and I should be dispensed have been mentioned. I want to bring this to light because I'm feeling without a helping hand the few associates that have heard are afraid to speak up due to the fact that your company has the perception that if you cause problems you will let go. If Randy you find this irrelevant I hope someone else learns from my mistakes it doesn't matter how harassed you feel and how hard you work. If someone in benefits or an old timer doesn't like you. You need to start looking at other places or further assistance. Kathy doesn't care what you have to say and Lisa only listens to what Kathy says. This isn't a form of HR this is protect your buddies. DO NOT TRUST THEM

Im going to forward this to Forbes magazine.....they should write up another article about Frys being a company that has every employee loathing them. 'we dont hear these things from Bestbuy employees