Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2014
    Saw this ad in the Los Angeles Times looking for Help in many of the stores.

Help Wanted Frys.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014
    FrenchyFry: Saw this ad in the Los Angeles Times looking for Help in many of the stores.

"Up to $15 an hour"  

Less if you're a scaredy fish  

More if you're a shark
  1.  permalink
    A crap load of car installers quit after their pay structure changed. I think that this happened a month or two ago. Some stores have zero installers so they literally tell their customers that they can't install anything. Suck it Randy! This is what you get for fucking people over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014
    Guest: A crap load of car installers quit after their pay structure changed. I think that this happened a month or two ago. Some stores have zero installers so they literally tell their customers that they can't install anything. Suck it Randy! This is what you get for fucking people over.

The installers at my store were getting $16 an hour, then they went to minimum wage + commission. They all quit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    I am seriously surprised that Fry's hasn't incurred the wrath of the EEOC and state AG's with some of their employee pay schemes. Why anyone would want to work for them makes no sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    ObiWan: I am seriously surprised that Fry's hasn't incurred the wrath of the EEOC and state AG's with some of their employee pay schemes. Why anyone would want to work for them makes no sense.

I'm waiting for them to cut commissions to the point where I can no longer make $20+ an hour consistently before I start looking for a new job. I'm lucky (for now) commissions are still good enough to the point where I can manipulate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Why not start looking now and find something better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    ObiWan: Why not start looking now and find something better?

In this economy you're lucky to even have a job, much less a job where you don't work your ass off all day doing hard labor and make $20+ per hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Please...if you were to put in just a little effort into the job search with your IT degree, you could easily find something better than being an indentured servant to the Fry's brothers....unless of course you like working for Fry's and have no real IT skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    ObiWan: Please...if you were to put in just a little effort into the job search with your IT degree, you could easily find something better than being an indentured servant to the Fry's brothers....unless of course you like working for Fry's and have no real IT skills.

What if I told you, that Fry's makes up about 60% of my gross annual income? I just need a job that tells the government I'm EMPLOYED, and it's not too bad paying either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    So...what you're saying is that 40% of your gross annual income is off the books/under the table, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    Actually ObiWan, living in the Silicon Valley, for every IT job that is available, you have over 200 applicants. And that is actually a decrease. When I took the written test for my government IT job, there was at least 500 people there all testing for the job. Some states are still a 7-10% unemployment rate. Hell looking at job listings out here, I see jobs requiring a Bachelors + years of experience and only paying in the 20ish dollars an hour range. So no, it's not as easy as you make it out to be. As shitty as retail is, sometimes you do have to use it, even Fry's to get by until you find another job. Hell it took me 5 years, about 7 months of that on Workmans comp and having nothing but free time to job search after a surgery just to get in where i'm at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    My god. That ad is such utter bullshit. I almost thought that was a job ad for selling Cutco knives.
  2.  permalink
    There is a similar sign at the entrance to the San Marcos(25) store. The joke is the sign is permanent and has been there for the last three years that I'm aware of. Lol.
  3.  permalink
    I've disliked and talked sh!t to ObiWan in the past (while not even a current employee), but he is correct.

Tech is on fire right now (gtfo of retail)... "In this economy" does not apply to IT anymore, at least. That phrase is still lingering from the past few years, it's not that hard to find a much better job if you're good at what you do. Some people just have Fry's Stockholm Syndrome.