Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I absolutely hate BX stickers. More than half of my store's product is open, and it looks reaalllyyyy bad. I wish Home Office would realize how bad they are, and get rid of them. Their reason for getting rid of the restocking fee: "No other store does it." My reason for getting rid of BX stickers: "No other store does it."
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    BX'd products now pay next to nothing
    Stop sending us all your BX focus items!
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014
    They will get rid of them in time, when they see the 15 BX stickered monitors in our backstock just sitting there, with over half of them as RTV items with some sort of defect on them (dead pixels, scratch on screen, etc) that nobody in their right minds would ever think about buying. Unless they want those to sit there forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    If the bulk of these returns are generated by defective products, shouldn't they be sent back to the manufacturer for a refund?  

It also begs the question, Fry's does seem to have an over-abundance of defective products on their shelves. Does Fry's purposely buy in bulk items that have minor defects/problems in hope they'll make a buck off of 'em?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    ObiWan: If the bulk of these returns are generated by defective products, shouldn't they be sent back to the manufacturer for a refund?  

It also begs the question, Fry's does seem to have an over-abundance of defective products on their shelves. Does Fry's purposely buy in bulk items that have minor defects/problems in hope they'll make a buck off of 'em?

I don't know if they still do it, but buyers would sometimes offer to pay for stuff so long as the manufacturer would kick in their shitty low end version for free/cheap. That's why you used to see the old PS2 bundles with shitty games that no one in their right mind would buy, or a ton of off brand crap.
  3.  permalink
    No wonder people try and barter with me. They think we work at a swap meet with all the random old tat we sell.
  4.  permalink
    Some manufacturers do have tiered pricing. All "batches" of manufactured product are tested and some batches have higher failure rates than others. Fry's typically buys the cheapest batches available fully knowing that these have higher failure rates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    Guest: Fry's typically buys the cheapest batches available fully knowing that these have higher failure rates.

Just another reason to shop elsewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    ObiWan:
    Guest: Fry's typically buys the cheapest batches available fully knowing that these have higher failure rates.

Just another reason to shop elsewhere.

But then there's that chance that you do get a product that actually works! For cheap too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    "You didn't pay full price unless you bought it at Fry's" - isn't that one of their slogans?
  5.  permalink
    ObiWan: If the bulk of these returns are generated by defective products, shouldn't they be sent back to the manufacturer for a refund?  

A lot of it is buyer's remorse or the customer not reading the manual/knowing how to use it. I'd say only a minority of returns are truly defective. Major name brand electronics are the same quality as any other retailer (I doubt companies like Samsung or Lenovo would knowingly sell defective items through any retailer), but Fry's also sells no-name brands like IdeaUSA which are often garbage.  

On the plus side, at least Fry's is being honest by putting a big orange sticker on the item and giving a 5% discount.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    Wow...a 5% discount. Somebody hold me back.  

I used to work across the street from the Woodland Hills Fry's. They had a higher percentage of returned name brand computer parts (graphic cards, sound cards, etc.) than they did unopened. Even saw software with return stickers on the box.
  6.  permalink
    A lot of shit you buy at Fry's is bad, period. Even a big name brand is more likely to be bad.

I remember a customer who purchased a new Viewsonic 24" or near that, and returned it because it had dead pixels. Ok whatever, it happens. Went to exchange it, grabbed another NEW Viewsonic, same model. Customer insists to open it up and check it.. Ok, unlikely to get 2 bad in row, but as a consumer I wouldn't argue.

Open it up, power it on, connect to a computer. HOLY SHIT more dead pixels?! Just so unlikely.. We both agreed it had to have been a defective shipment, he either got some other model or just left with his money.

And then there's the time a customer who bought DVD-R's, with CD-R's stuck in the middle of the spindle, Not repacked or anything, all factory.. DM didn't believe customer, grabbed a random spindle himself and opened it up, again CD-R's in the middle.. The dumbfounded look on the DM's face was fantastic.