Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    Feel you're getting paid less than what you're worth? Unionize!  

Hate doing work that doesn't pay commission? Unionize!  

Hate getting paid commission only? Unionize!  

Want to shove it in Randy Fry's face? :face-smile:UNIONIZE!!!:face-smile:  

That's RIGHT, you have the RIGHT to form a labor union! Among other benefits, you'll discover:  

Higher-than-market wages,  
    Full-time hours,  
    No more having to deal with your Sup's/DM's/ASM's/SM's crap.  
    Better benefits,  
    Better working conditions.  

I know a lot of you may be cynical at the idea, but there are tens of millions of active union workers US, and you should be one too!  

If you want to get started, here's a good link that may prove helpful:  

http://www.calaborfed.org/index.php/site/page/how_to_form_a_union_where_you_work  

:face-devil-grin:
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    I love shopping at Fry's as much as I hate working there.
    I really hate working at Fry's
    I noticed Rick Andrade isn't working At Fry's Electronic's anymore what happened to him?
    What is the hourly rate for working at Frys?
    My Experience Working at Fry's Electronics
  2.  permalink
    Union dues! Hell no
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Randy Fry and his cronies could easily break any attempt to unionize
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    ObiWan: Randy Fry and his cronies could easily break any attempt to unionize

I'd really like to see someone take the initiative and get back to us with, exactly, how RF would break up any attempt. Just by virtue of assuming that, he wins.  

Why not give it a shot?
  3.  permalink
    I have a feeling that if I tried to start a union, that I would be fired for *low sales performance*, *poor work ethic*, or some bull shi like that. They'd find a way to fire me, even if it involved creating some random scenario to fire me. Even if ive done nothing wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    Guest: I have a feeling that if I tried to start a union, that I would be fired

That's basically how Fry's would break any attempt to unionize. Turnover is so high at Fry's, it'd go unnoticed.  

There is an alternative - find a better job, learn some usable skills, get out of retail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    Guest: I have a feeling that if I tried to start a union, that I would be fired for *low sales performance*, *poor work ethic*, or some bull shi like that. They'd find a way to fire me, even if it involved creating some random scenario to fire me. Even if ive done nothing wrong.

A union organizer can help you and clear up any concerns you may have. You don't have to publicly state that you are trying to start a union for that exact reason, and management cannot demand to see who signs union cards. It doesn't even have to be an associate who does the union signing, as I believe you can get a third party to volunteer, in store, and have the cards signed, or even through the mail.  

You have the right to start a union and the right not to get fired for doing so, and the tactics you list that a company can use to stop unionization have already been tried, documented, analyzed and failed time and time again, and there are millions of union workers in America who would attest to that.  

ObiWan:  

That's basically how Fry's would break any attempt to unionize. Turnover is so high at Fry's, it'd go unnoticed.  

There is an alternative - find a better job, learn some usable skills, get out of retail.

There are people who have built careers at Fry's and people who have only lasted a few days. This post is directed to those who don't want to leave. But, if the alternative is better, then by all means.  

Now click here:  
    http://www.calaborfed.org/index.php/site/page/how_to_form_a_union_where_you_work
  4.  permalink
    Not as easy as you may think. Although against the law to fire someone for talking to a union rep....employers suddenly find ways to "legally" fire folks (performance and such).
    I once worked at a plant that was entertaining the thought of unionizing. The management point blank stated "It's your right to unionize if you want to, but let us be clear that we do not NEED this facility, as we have plenty others that operate fairly without unions". Needless to say, the vote did not pass (and the facility closed 2 yrs later for budget cutting anyway).

Also, don't think unionizing automatically institutes "wide sweeping change". Unions bargain for contracts with management, and often concede many items they initially state as reason a union is required. Also be prepared for strikes with no pay (other than a small token amount from union). Scabs are a dime a dozen, and since Frys doesn't exactly pay top-notch for top notch employees....I'm sure they could make do with temps.

Best advice is if you like your work, but not the way you are treated....find employment elsewhere that you do. Back in the day unions were NEEDED....today....just look at the mess they have made out of the American auto manufacturers.
    Just sayin.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014 edited
    Guest: Not as easy as you may think. Although against the law to fire someone for talking to a union rep....employers suddenly find ways to "legally" fire folks (performance and such).  
    I once worked at a plant that was entertaining the thought of unionizing. The management point blank stated "It's your right to unionize if you want to, but let us be clear that we do not NEED this facility, as we have plenty others that operate fairly without unions". Needless to say, the vote did not pass (and the facility closed 2 yrs later for budget cutting anyway).  

Also, don't think unionizing automatically institutes "wide sweeping change". Unions bargain for contracts with management, and often concede many items they initially state as reason a union is required. Also be prepared for strikes with no pay (other than a small token amount from union). Scabs are a dime a dozen, and since Frys doesn't exactly pay top-notch for top notch employees....I'm sure they could make do with temps.  

Best advice is if you like your work, but not the way you are treated....find employment elsewhere that you do. Back in the day unions were NEEDED....today....just look at the mess they have made out of the American auto manufacturers.  
    Just sayin.....

Well, my friend, I am sorry to see that you have been fully indoctrinated into the Fry's way of thinking. You are hereby on Randy Fry's "best employee" list.  

Did you even speak with a union organizer?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Charlie:
    Guest: Not as easy as you may think. Although against the law to fire someone for talking to a union rep....employers suddenly find ways to "legally" fire folks (performance and such).  

Just sayin.....

Well, my friend, I am sorry to see that you have been fully indoctrinated into the Fry's way of thinking. You are hereby on Randy Fry's "best employee" list.  

Did you even speak with a union organizer?

As someone who is in a union (government worker) Guest hit it on the head. Unionizing, especially in a work sector like retail, fast food, etc is very difficult, and you will get fired if it's a shitty company like fry's, then the burden of proof is on you to prove you were fired for trying to unionize and not one of the billion ways they can legally fire you, especially if you live in an employment at will state like california.
  5.  permalink
    No, I never talked to a rep. They had a table set up across the street. The place I was talking about was a meat packing company that supplied Denny's and Golden Corral among others, it was also located in a ""right to work" state (Texas)....which is VERY union unfriendly. I have friends that work for GM in Arlington Texas....from whom I have heard all the ups and downs of unions.

If you think union is the way to with Frys....by all means talk to a rep, then tell us all how it went 6 months from now. From all I have heard, the way to change Frys is litigation rather unionization. Walmart had similarly shitty attitudes about workers pay/insurance, and only changed when they started losing lawsuits. Now, you may think Frys a superior employer to Walmart, or a job at Frys to be better than a job at Walmart....but others might argue with you. They are both pretty miserable jobs to have.

Good luck
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    While you guys are busy unionizing, I'd happily work at Fry's for minimum wage + commission!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014
    Cinnabon: While you guys are busy unionizing, I'd happily work at Fry's for minimum wage + commission!

Which department are you talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    Josh:
    Cinnabon: While you guys are busy unionizing, I'd happily work at Fry's for minimum wage + commission!

Obviously the components or software department... or maybe cashier, but cashiers' minimum + commission is a joke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    Josh:

Any department. Almost everyone at Fry's works on commission right? I have no issues suggesting better items than those listed on the ads to people, nor do I have any issues with helping them find useful accessories for their new purchase and recommending service plans in case their items stop working later on down the road.
  6.  permalink
    Hey Cinnabon, You realize that Frys pays most sales associates commission only, right? You only got hourly if your commission for the week was less than minimum wage, a draw against your future commission. Hit draw too much and you are gone!
  7.  permalink
    Hey Guest 11769. You realize that Fry's pays some sales associates commission+hourly right? Meaning that they don't get stuck with the shitty draw system. Software doesn't have enough sales/gp to support a 100% commission structure. D1 does but at least Gena realizes that switching Components to pure commission would negatively affect our sales numbers. The Components department as a whole now destroys the AV department regularly. Why Randy, John, and Kathy haven't had second thoughts about eliminating 100% commission escapes me. There's a reason that Fry's numbers are in the tank on a year over year basis every single year since 2008. One reason is the economy. The other is the shitty ass service that D2 and D5 gives to customers. Customers are fed up. Fry's can't survive a 10% customer drop year over year for much longer.
  8.  permalink
    I did say Most associates are commission, not all. Components should get hourly since it's a lot of small items and stuff on a peg. D5 Sups were dumping stock and busy work on associates, then taking the sales when we were off the floor. Frys still sucks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014
    Wow, I didn't realize that some departments were commission only. Sounds like a challenge. Are the Computers and AV department commission only?
  9.  permalink
    The only departments that get minimum wage hourly + commission is Software, Components and Customer Service. Customer Service Associates get $17 commission on every $10,000 they ring up. All merchandisers can also get the same commission now if they get certified on the registers.

And then the other departments, A/V, Computers and A/W, are all 100% commission based if you work in sales.
  10.  permalink
    No one can argue that Fry's pay is not shit, but one thing that will ruin any union attempt is the ability to find people willing to do the same job for less. And let's be honest, no one in high places cares about retail workers winning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Commissioned sales pay is only shit if you're a shitty salesman. I made about $45k - $50 in the 5 years I used to work for Fry's. Computer Sales, 100% commission.
  11.  permalink
    Two weeks into my employment, they changed the MT pay to be commision only (just like sales) most of the MT's quit because they didn't want the extra duties without any compensation. That killed any ambition to try a career for a length of time. Before I left, they were simotaneously pushing all merchandisers to PT, eliminating dedicated returns, creating a skeleton crew of receiving (saturating the store with sales people, then asking CSA's to have more duties in returns), and added a merchandising cap department-wide for merchandisers (why commisioned sales had to clean up their own dept for free). I say this (with bad spelling an grammer) because, If you start as a Merch, Sales, or even CSA, somthing will come up to demonstrate there's no incentive to grow any career there.

Many places are hiring for the holidays, this is the time to apply for better employment if you believe Frys is crappy. Other retailers and some fast food can and will pay more (in hourly) than Frys, they'll give you a raise, especially if you work hard (not going though the motions), and think you'll want to stay for some time. Perhaps even offer a better position, after you finish some scoool. Frys will do nothing for you except cut your hours (till you quit, to avoid unemployment payouts). If you are competant, they'll make verbal promises for a title change, maybe change your name tag and you perform that role, but never change your pay until months/weeks later due to some "paperwork mixup". It'll just create a more elaborate beauracracy dance, you regularly pay for, to receive any extra benefit.