Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014
    As you may already know, I work in the [Computer] Service Department, which is next to the manager's office. I get to hear all kinds of drama going in there from time to time. Yesterday, an employee was being written up for yelling back at a nasty customer. The manager said that if it happened again she would be fired. She said that was fine, she would just collect unemployment. He said that since she failed in her duties as Customer Service, she would be denied unemployment.  

Now I know that here in California, when you apply for unemployment, they review the circumstances and call the manager before approving unemployment. I was under the impression that only serious cases would be denied, such as theft or physical violence. I wonder how much power a store manager has in approving or denying unemployment claims, and what under what circumstances you can be denied.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    5 day , help with getting unemployment.
    My Fry's Electronics Inc Unemployment Claim was DENIED
    unemployment claim denied
    Probably going to get fired. what steps to take get unemployment?
    Collecting unemployment on Fry's dime
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014
    If you're fired for cause, you will be denied unemployment compensation. You can appeal it though, but you'll need to have a strong case.
  2.  permalink
    In California it is virtually impossible to lose an unemployment appeal. Judges tend to be sympathetic of workers over employers and most of the time, the decision comes down to how you present yourself in court. If you come across as reasonable and level headed and point out Fry's many flaws (how they set you up to fail, almost zero training etc.) you will almost always win. Of course there are exceptions but generally you are in the clear as long as you weren't habitually late, have a history of making threats, violence, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    Good to know, and will pass this info on. I personally think anyone working at Fry's for a year or more should get some sort of emotional distress severance package, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    There's a reason why Fry's when they fire someone try to trick them into signing a VQ form.
  3.  permalink
    How pathetic that she would rather draw unemployment than hold her tongue. But since California is the "gimme state", I'm sure she will get her check.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2014
    Guest: How pathetic that she would rather draw unemployment than hold her tongue. But since California is the "gimme state", I'm sure she will get her check.

Actually California is an at will state for employment.