Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    o Romy G.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  

•  
    • 9/4/2014  
    • I have been here many times even though the experiences have all been the same.  

I needed anti-malware. The associate that helped me to locate the appropriate aisle then told me I "can't get anything free on the internet." So he thought I needed the anti-malware because I was an idiot? No explaining could get him to believe I was not this stupid girl on the internet clicking and trusting everything she sees. Ha!  

On a separate occasion I was asked every minute by a different associate if I needed help. It happened three more times before I just left.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Consumerist.com
    We are featured on Consumerist again!
    Former Fry’s Employee Explains Why Store’s Commission-Based Pay System Fails Consumers
    Randy Fry leads the Consumer Electronics Association
    PS3 CELL Processor actually more powerful than orginally thought
  3.  permalink
    Lol, so ur complaining that people asked if u needed help?
  4.  permalink
    o Rick G.  
    o Santa Clarita, CA  

9/12/2014  
    I Bought a computer and a mouse last week, but the mouse did not work. I returned the mouse today and had to wait 45 minutes at the return counter because the computer system was down. I was told that they were waiting for the manager to get " Approval" to manually process my return. It was obvious that the staff did not know how to do this and when they finally figured out what to do, they gave me a hand written store credit voucher. I then proceeded to the cashier to use my voucher and the cashier looked at me and said " What is this?" I told him it was a voucher that I was given by the Returns dept. He said " I don't know how to make the computer accept this voucher".  
    I find it ironic that a electronics store that sells computers and Hi tech electronics, doesn't have have an expert or a plan when the system goes down. The disappointing thing was the Manager did nothing for the customers who waited in line for their system to come back on line. Maybe a gift card or something would have been appropriate. I don't think I will be shopping here again.  

•  
    o Dillon C.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 9/14/2014  
    • Our family members have been coming here for several years now, with each time it's been either a bait and switch with using your debt card then charged as a credit card just in case you need to return anything you charged will be not cash back only store credit!  
    •  
    The facts t are Fry's Electronics treats there customers like thieves for some reason when it comes to returning anything or any problems with a new laptop purchase with a very limited warranty that other retail stores offer better replacement and extended warranty services vs Fry's Electronics is a very low. It maybe a Super Store but that's it. Greed factors come in and replaces it with the low paying employees who have very little knowledge of the products  

REAL FACT is you returning anything with cash receipts that's less than $50 you won't get your money back for all the excuses from a torn package (Ext.HD with original box) or having a Network cable bought less than 3hrs and in the original packaging and NO CASH refund when purchased by cash. This one had a different "color" on the receipt which in part is Fry's Electronics is at fault for miss labeling their products and putting them on the shelves for sale.  

YET ANOTHER REAL FACT: Warranties are a joke! What Warranty? Covers really nothing at all. You get a better deal through the manufacturer, You can find better deal through the local new paper Sunday ads or online ads that have real replacement for your computer up to two years in some place you get your new laptop or desktop.  

Great deal if you want to RISK losing your money IF YOU pay CASH! if you don't mind that under $50 of course go there. Again years of this it most stop with the low end theft for petty reason not to give cash refunds under $50. No where does it say on signs about this it a policy based on your attitude and who you get if you don't kiss there ass and just roll over like a good dumb customer who they give very lack of respect to no matter what. I have my receipts very time. Less than 30 days return with packing is intact or what's left of the packing e.g. network cable twist ties. Good Luck getting your money back!
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2014
    I work in the Computer Service Department and can confirm the extended warranties AKA "PSC" are a joke. If you buy one for a laptop, it will not cover any of the following:  

Accidental drops or spills  
    Worn/broken hinges  
    Any damage to the LCD  
    DC Jack  
    Battery  
    Virus/malware  
    Windows error or update issue  

A PSC will basically only cover:  
    Motherboard  
    RAM  
    Hard Drive  
    Video Card (if applicable)  

Make sure you read all the microscopic fine print before agreeing to buy one!
  5.  permalink
    o Webb P.  
    o Louisville, CO  
    • 8/7/2014  
    • I've shopped at Fry's Electronics for over 15 years now. Always blown away by the huge selection of "cool stuff" and spent hours just browsing and being inspired by cool technology. Always purchased things there, and almost never actually asked for help or had to return anything. Until today, simply trying to return a defective 50' HDMI cable.  

UGH! Nobody cares to re-read detail after boring detail of somebody else's bad experience, so I'll spare you.  

Bottom line: I bought a cable, it stopped working after just a few days, I should be able to return it within 30 days and get my money back. Period.  

I now choose to not support a company that can't support such simple customer protection.  

•  
    o Justin C.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    • 8/9/2014  
    • Frys seems to believe I am not worth a $8 cable. I guess they must make some pretty nice margins on that $8 power cord.  

Absolutely never heard of this before. Went to buy a laptop and there was no power cord in the box when they opened to show it. Was then told by the rep that i had to buy my own cord. Manager of computer dept standing right next to us told her thats the policy and take it or leave it.  

Wow you guys are something else. Lost my business for life  

AVOID at all costs.  

• =  
    o Rene B.  
    o Tujunga, CA  
    •  
    • 9/1/2014  
    • I hate this store they sold me a faulty product and wouldn't even give me a refund on the product even tho they didn't have anymore of the product available. The manager Vanessa was very unhelpful  

•  
    o Vita L.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 7/26/2014  
    • We called ahead to make sure they had a Roku TV display. They said they did.  

When we arrived, we went to the Help Desk in Home Entertainment. A rather apathetic gentleman in the department said they had Roku but it wasn't hooked up for demo. After a 10 hour work day, my boyfriend stared hard at him before turning on his heels and walking right out.  

I asked if there was anything he could do. He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders.  
    o Greg R.  
    o Santa Monica, CA  
    •  
    • 8/23/2014  
    • This place will never let you down when it comes to disappointing service. Its like "it wouldnt be Fry's if the service wasn't terrible" - Be prepared to be passed on from person to person and endlessly hearing "Oh, thats not my department" - Oh and in case you thought it would be more clever to call instead to avoid the door-knob sales people, think again. It took me 25minutes on hold and speaking to 6 people to get to the department I needed and precisely asked for. Seriously. This place could not suck more if it tried. - If you're life dream is working at the very pinnacle of 'rock bottom' - You're in luck.  
    o Ali Z.  
    o Santa Monica, Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 8/19/2014  
    • Terrible customer service... In general they look at you like a thief... Getting out of the store they make you feel like a thief as well as returning the crap they sell... Oh also in order to get your money back from returned item 1st you have to wait in long customer service line then when you get to the agent they make you wait until they check the serial number and the box not once but few times and then when you think you are getting your money back they send you to cashiers line just to get your money back!!!! Now thats another at least 15-20 min in line!!!! Bestbuy is a great options compare to this.  

•  
    o Jessica U.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 9/18/2014  
    • Worst place to shop at ever! Bought a portable air conditioner...brand new. The return policy states that you can return the item if it's not used within 30 days. We had it for one night and it completely did not work. We spent $400 dollars on a portable air conditioner that was brand new that didn't even come with the main piece attached in the box. We try to return it the next morning and worse customer service ever. The return policy states you can't return something if it is used. And this wasn't used!!! It was brand new. After talking to 3 different reps no one wanted to work with us. They sell everything in this store that doesn't even work. Their return policy they tried to twist the words on us. Their customer service here sucks. Their staff is not nice. Do not ever buy anything from here. Go to best buy, a true electronic store that actually cares about their customers. Frys could care less. I have never felt so tackled by staff members all because they wouldn't give us a refund. I hope they feel great the way they treated us. We are taking this to corporate. So please, anyone readying this...do not shop here. Everything is cheap and doesn't work. Go to best buy!!!!!!!  
    •  
    o OJ S.  
    o Northridge, CA  
    •  
    • 8/17/2014  
    • 1 check-in  
    • I love the mars attack theme here. But the custom service manager, shelby.. or shelly... couldn't really see her name through her hair... she didnt want to honor the cheaper internet Price I found. I was gonna save 6 bucks! Its cool, ill get my memory card on Tuesday. Ill live lol  
  6.  permalink
    Most of these look like they were written by a bunch of idiots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Guest: Most of these look like they were written by a bunch of idiots.

The same idiots who buy an HDMI cable and can't figure out why it doesn't work with their microwave :face-devil-grin:
  7.  permalink
    I can tell from reading numerous reviews that these people are unedumacated. Also, I love telling customers no. Especially if the return policy IS STAPLED TO THE BOX AND HIGHLIGHTED. Don't buy an A/C unit unless you plan on keeping it. You don't get to rent it.
  8.  permalink
    Unedumacated. Haha... I think the same thing about Fry's employees... a little more education, and maybe they wouldn't be stuck in such a slacker job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014
    In the customer's defense, Fry's will do ANYTHING to refuse a return. For example, lately there has been a lot of bent pins on motherboards, mostly Asus. In every case, the return has been refused, by blaming the customer. Now, it just so happens that I work in Computer Service, and build custom PCs every week. Lots of motherboards are defective right out of the original packaging, factory seals intact. My guess is that one of the 50-cent-a-day workers in China is pissed off about working conditions there. Because of this, I've had to instruct all service staff to thoroughly inspect the CPU sockets BEFORE assembling the computer. Sure, I've told all the MICs (Manager In Charge) about this issue, yet they still it is necessary to penalize the customer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Mobo's from NewEgg and elsewhere seem to have a much lower failure rate, and less issues out of the box than what Fry's sells. Part of the problem is the way Fry's handles their merchandise (kinda like the old American Tourister gorilla commercial). Fry's attitude towards the customer is the best reason to go elsewhere - for anything.
  9.  permalink
    A30N,

I have opened hundreds of brand new mother board boxes and have never seen one with bent pins. The only time that I have seen it is on BX stickers. Don't let the customers trick you into believing that they come with bent pins. They absolutely do not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    I've built hundreds of systems in the years I've worked with custom PCs and never came across a single brand new mobo with bent pins. Trust me, it's mostly the dumbass customers who try to force an AM3 CPU into a 1150 socket and wonder why it doesn't fit. Fry's associates aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but Fry's customers are depriving some villages of their "idiot".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    To A30N's defense, my store sometimes gets bad shipments of AMD processors. The boxes would look bent up and torn, but the seals are still intact. Sometimes, opening them up would reveal bent pins on the CPU from the plastic containing it being crushed from outside the box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014
    r3j3ct: Fry's associates aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but Fry's customers are depriving some villages of their "idiot".

There are a lot of Fry 's associates that qualify as the village idiot also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014 edited
    A30N: In the customer's defense, Fry's will do ANYTHING to refuse a return. For example, lately there has been a lot of bent pins on motherboards, mostly Asus. In every case, the return has been refused, by blaming the customer. Now, it just so happens that I work in Computer Service, and build custom PCs every week. Lots of motherboards are defective right out of the original packaging, factory seals intact. My guess is that one of the 50-cent-a-day workers in China is pissed off about working conditions there. Because of this, I've had to instruct all service staff to thoroughly inspect the CPU sockets BEFORE assembling the computer. Sure, I've told all the MICs (Manager In Charge) about this issue, yet they still it is necessary to penalize the customer.

This is pure bull. ASUS never ships brand new boards with bent pins. I do believe a small minority of customers when they say that they did not bend the pins. At least, they don't realize that they did. The problem is that even if the board is defective (not from bent pins) they often drive back to the store without putting the socket cover back on. This leaves the pins exposed. Sometimes they also put the accessories on top of the board in the box (without the socket cover) and the pins get bent from the accessories sliding around when they drive back to the store. This is unfortunate but it is their fault. Fry's isn't unfairly penalizing them. Fry's can't return these boards because they would absorb the loss when Fry's is not at fault. It sucks and I always feel bad for them, but it was their mistake, not Fry's.
  10.  permalink
    •  
    o X P.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 5/26/2014  
    • 1 check-in  
    • I like Fry's although they should shut down this location. You would think that Burbank would have an excellent store but they don't .  

- Customer service is not the best and staff doesn't seem to have extended knowledge on their products.  

- Store doesn't carry many audio or film items that are pretty much used on a daily basis by filmmakers.  

- The store is beyond messy with items all over the place, opened boxes, missing pieces in equipment plus store is dark.  

- Way overpriced, you will pay an average of $20 to $50 more for a product you will find cheaper somewhere else.  

•  
    o Perry R.  
    o La Crescenta, CA  
    •  
    • 8/5/2014  
    • New in town. I have been eagerly anticipating a trip to my nearby Fry's. Tuesday evening, not heavy shopping time. Just a recon mission to check things out. They should have had plenty of time to get things in order. Unfortunately, I found this store (Burbank, CA) to be rather dismal.  

I'm the sort of techno-geek who appreciates a wall of capacitors, so I'm not knocking that it's a place full of mysterious electronic thingies. I treasure having a place nearby where I can lay my hands on those wonderful doodads. It's that this particular store doesn't seem to be run by people who care about them as much as I do. I've been in a few Fry's around the country and I never saw one that was so shabby looking, or one that had so many empty spaces on the shelves.  

Having to run the junk food gauntlet to get to the registers doesn't endear me to the place, either. It gives me the feeling that the management just thinks of me as a walking wallet to be drained in any way possible.  

I sure hope they can pick this place up. I'd love to have a good electronics store in my new neighborhood.  

o Jessica A.  
    o Lake View Terrace, Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 5/6/2014  
    • A month ago I purchased a new Samsung smart tv. Returned it the next day cause the stand didn't fit... A guy that works there told us that it looks like they tried to sell us a used tv as a new TV. He told us they didn't had any more of those tvs there but Topanga did had some. Si we decide to drive all the way over there. As we get to the cashier the guy tells us Ok it'll be $50 I told him "what???; all I'm doing is exchanging" the manager gets there and makes a phone call to Burbank, then she asks us why did you returned the same tv and want to get the same one here??... I told her "because the stand didn't fit since they were trying to sell me a used one for the same amount of a new one" and she tells us "ok, cause the manager from Burbank told me that you guys were just unhappy with the purchase you guys made" she fixed the $50 that we supposedly owed  

I will never go to this frys, the manager was such a bitch with employees.... didn't even apologized for what they thought was gonna be a win for them  

o John J.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    • 7/25/2014  
    • Ok, I love shopping at Fry's because their products are at decent price. However, this place lacks customer service. I mean I may not know a lot of electronics but it seems I know more than some workers there. The employees there do not help and do not even know where some products are. The design of the building is amazing but the employees do not help or even greet you.  
    o Andy P.  
    o Santa Clarita, CA  
    • 7/9/2014  
    • This is by far the worst electronics store I have ever been to. I was on my way to Micro Center in Tustin from Santa Clarita which is quite the drive. Along the way the idea arose to stop at Fryes to see if they would price match Micro Center. To my pleasure there was a HUGE sign hanging on the building that said "We match internet prices" I was thrilled to cut the drive an hour short by stopping here. So I went in asked customer service if they would match Micro Center and they said yes, awesome! They pointed me in the direction to get the processor and motherboard and talked to the employee but said he wont match Micro Center, even after I informed him customer service told me otherwise. Drove an hour and got great products from a company that held their word. Would avoid this lying dishonest Frys at all costs.  

•  
    o Michelle A.  
    o Burbank, CA  
    •  
    • 7/19/2014  
    • Okay, so of course, if you need ANY kind of electronic - you come here. I definitely do, but I've been very disappointed my last few visits on the lack of courtesy & helpfulness from the staff. I got redirected to 4 different guys trying to find a CF card reader, then the guy just said, "It's over one aisle." Didn't take me there or try to help me at all. I mentioned it to some friends and they've all had the same experience. Save yourself some trouble & call ahead to get the aisle number so you're not chasing after workers like a cattle brander.  
    o Stephanino, Stefanino B.  
    o Bakersfield, CA  

4/9/2014  
    • A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap (made in China) Y-cable to use with my keyboard and mouse. Worked well for a week and then went bad. I had to go to my local computer store to buy a replacement unit (made in USA). Not cheap but sturdier and has worked well for me so far.  

Fry's carries a lot of items that are potentially cheap. But buyer be aware as not everything there is really cheap and durable. I was lucky that my investment at Fry's was very nominal. I spent 15+ minutes waiting in line to get checked out. That was unpleasant.  

In the future, I will not buy anything from Fry's. The Internet has many items at the same prices with better quality.  

•  
    o Brian D.  
    o Redondo Beach, CA  

•  
    • 7/21/2014  
    • 1 check-in  
    • These guys/gals work on commission so unless you are near expensive electronics, forget about getting any help. Plus the employees have a poo face no matter what time of day you go in. This was my fifth and last visit here.  
    •  
    o Ultra B.  
    o NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA  
    •  
    • 4/8/2014  
    • Due to a faulty lock, someone walked in on me on the toilet.  

It wasn't even the worst part of my visit.  

Fry's is a sad, empty store filled with miles of DVDs (very 2008), test laptops that don't work, and empty-handed associates who look upwards, as if the security cameras can save them from Amazon.com inspired obsolescence. What COULD be an awesome store is a testament to nobody in the supply chain caring.  
    •  
    o Stuart Z.  
    o Orange County, CA  
    •  
    • 6/13/2014  
    • 10 years ago, this used to be the tech enthusiast's wet dream. Now, they've completely removed the PC software/game aisles and replaced them with lego toy sets. The only software I saw on the shelf were security related. They sure had a ton of security software, enough to fill an entire row. I think I even saw toilet lids being sold in the same section. With the online competition, I don't think Fry's can stand a chance anymore. With all the cool sci-fi decorations, they should just turn the place into a computer museum. Avoid the restrooms, they are just gross. I feel sorry for anyone that has to work here. At least you can still browse porn at their magazine aisle.  
    •  

o  
    o Kay T.  
    o Buena Park, CA  

•  
    • 6/7/2014  
    • Came in to buy a flashdrive and DCV tapes for my camcorder. However I had never gotten tapes here before. First available employee I found was slouched against the laptop station told me it was the av dept and waived me in a general direction away from that part of the store and immediately went back to his phone. I stumbled upon the AV dept by chance where 3-4 employees stood in a line shoulder to shoulder doing nothing at all. I asked if this was the AV dept, they said yes. So I asked for the tapes only to be lead to empty shelves and informed that their shipments hadn't arrived in a month. Ironically the employee said he could request them in an order, but seeing as such requests had failed for a month, I doubted these tapes would arrive in the week's time he promised and left. Upon checkout a head to the counter employee asked me if I found everything I had been looking for and I said no. She didn't even look up, just continued the transaction. Like a slowly absorbing sponge, she eventually asked what went wrong when I handed my credit card over. I explained that, despite the abundant racks of space ice cream and boxed lingerie I had passed to check out, Frys electronics seemed very lacking in... Electronics. I explained the lack of DCV tapes to which she suggested they might not be very common things and my request must have been rare. She had no comprehension of the thing I was even talking about. So I left and promptly bought them that night at Walmart. For being so "rare" the stock was plentiful and the staff knew the words coming out of my mouth. I'm not a fan of Walmart by any means, but they showed up this Frys every step if the way. 1) the employees weren't in the phone during work 2) they walked me to the aisle and section I needed to be at 3) their supplier and purchaser succeeded in stocking the shelves 4) the person at the check out made eye contact with me.  

It's a real shame when Wal-Mart outshines a store specifically for electronics, but way to go Fry's... This is a new low.  
    •  
    o Justin R.  
    o WOODLAND HLS, CA  
    •  
    • 6/6/2014  
    • I had to drive 30 minutes to check for a laptop wireless half-mini card because your phone system does not let me talk to a human.  

And turns out Fry's does not carry any internal laptop wifi cards. Retail such a waste of time.  
    •  
    o Kelly L.  
    o Burbank, CA  

•  
    • 6/14/2014  
    • Ok, Frys sucks. Yes, sucks!!! Went and bought our daughter a laptop and paid cash, box was opened and I accepted it because it was the last one they had in that model (of course). 2 days later, because it had a software issue, we took it back and wanted our money refunded... CASH!! Nope, they either had to write a check taking 15 days to get it OR put it on our debit card and have it take 3 business days to be in our account. COME ON! IT WAS CASH!!! Never again. If we had gone to Costco, there would have been no questions asked and we would have gotten all of our money back CASH right then and there. Going on yelp to leave a review and it's not going to be good. Anyone have similar experiences with Frys?  
    o Eric H.  
    o NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA  

• 5/27/2014  
    • Horrible customer service. There are plenty of overweight guys in dirty white shirts and bad ties on the floor but Good luck finding one who knows about the products and is willing to help. So many of these reviews mention how rude and incompetent the management is at this store and they are right. I tried to ask management for help amd then to complain but they looked at me like I was crazy. Its unfortunate that Burbank has such a failure in town.  

o David L.  
    o Valley Glen, CA  
    •  
    • 1/7/2014  
    • Horrible Customer Service Pricing and No Customer Loyalty  

After having a horrible experience w/ a pre-built computer I bought at Fry's and a major hard drive crash only a year later I went back to Fry's service repair center. While they were nice, they said my warranty ended FIFTEEN days after my purchase and since I didn't buy the extended warranty they wanted $70 to diagnose the problem. I explained that we already did that at home and it seemed to be a critical failure in the hard drive. Nonetheless, that was their policy and even though I purchased my PC (FROM THAT EXACT STORE) they couldn't wave the diagnostic cost.  

Furthermore, if I bought a new hard drive there, they said they could NOT reinstall Windows 7 - I would have to contact Acer for that. I explained I had my Windows serial number saved and could register it myself, I simply needed them to install it, but that was not an option. Oh, they could install a new copy of Windows, but of course, it would cost MORE MONEY. I was so livid when I stormed out. I vowed to not purchase anything else from that store again.  

On a brighter note, I found A-1 on a Yelp search and didn't even call, I went straight to Jeff's office. His modest furnishings didn't put me off as I explained my situation. He calmly plugged in my PC and diagnosed the problem within 20 minutes. It was my hard drive after all - go figure - we knew what were were talking about at Fry's... Long story short, I ran to Best Buy, picked up a hard drive and brought it back. Jeff installed it, along with another old hard drive, installed Windows and hooked me up for a very reasonable price - FOR LESS THAN HALF of what Fry's would have charged me; but they don't really care about customer loyalty.  

I was very thankful to find Jeff and I will always go back to A-1 and recommend all friends do the same.  

Bonus - Jeff is a very accomplished and savvy fisherman and can give you some great tips about fishing in SoCal! Great business and man.  

o Richard L.  
    o Torrance, Los Angeles, CA  

•  
    • 1/6/2014  
    • Worst customer service ever. Treated me like I was beneath them. I went to three associates and I asked for help, only to be told me that they were on break or off the clock and to find someone else.  

When I tried to online price match, they wouldn't honor it saying they had to find it themselves on their approved sites. Then told me to wait, then proceeded to help new customers without finishing up with me.  

•  
    o Matt D.  
    o Valencia, CA  
    •  
    • 1/4/2014  
    • I used to really love Frys, but my opinion is starting to decline. It is a great place for electronics and small parts, but audio and video seem to be the same as anywhere else. It also is a good place to build your own computer as they have a good variety of components, but forget about it if you need help, you won't find anyone or they just aren't any help.  
    I saw a sign that read they would match Online prices, but I didn't try or see anything about any requirements.  
    The last time I was there I was just wandering around and I noticed how the store just isn't kept up. It is dirty and dusty with a lot of empty rows and aisles. CDs, games and DVDs are cheaper elsewhere, but is it still a fairly fun place to go. Three stars because they have cool items, but I'm getting disappointed with the staff, the prices, and the overall cleanliness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014
    Alec McDowell: •  
    o X P.  
    o Los Angeles, CA  
    •  
    • 5/26/2014  
    • 1 check-in  
    • I like Fry's although they should shut down this location. You would think that Burbank would have an excellent store but they don't .  

- Store doesn't carry many audio or film items that are pretty much used on a daily basis by filmmakers.  

- The store is beyond messy with items all over the place, opened boxes, missing pieces in equipment plus store is dark.  

It is laughable that this customer assumes that the Fry's Burbank store should carry high end equipment used by filmmakers ('cuz there are a number of motion picture/tv studios in Burbank). The "messy" comment is spot on. The place was a pig pen back in the early/mid 2000's. Sounds like it hasn't improved at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Best Buy:
    A30N: In the customer's defense, Fry's will do ANYTHING to refuse a return. For example, lately there has been a lot of bent pins on motherboards, mostly Asus. In every case, the return has been refused, by blaming the customer. Now, it just so happens that I work in Computer Service, and build custom PCs every week. Lots of motherboards are defective right out of the original packaging, factory seals intact. My guess is that one of the 50-cent-a-day workers in China is pissed off about working conditions there. Because of this, I've had to instruct all service staff to thoroughly inspect the CPU sockets BEFORE assembling the computer. Sure, I've told all the MICs (Manager In Charge) about this issue, yet they still it is necessary to penalize the customer.

This is pure bull. ASUS never ships brand new boards with bent pins. I do believe a small minority of customers when they say that they did not bend the pins. At least, they don't realize that they did. The problem is that even if the board is defective (not from bent pins) they often drive back to the store without putting the socket cover back on. This leaves the pins exposed. Sometimes they also put the accessories on top of the board in the box (without the socket cover) and the pins get bent from the accessories sliding around when they drive back to the store. This is unfortunate but it is their fault. Fry's isn't unfairly penalizing them. Fry's can't return these boards because they would absorb the loss when Fry's is not at fault. It sucks and I always feel bad for them, but it was their mistake, not Fry's.

Ahhh...but there's the rub. When you buy a motherboard at Frys you are liable to get one with an "open box" sticker on the outside of the box, the INSIDE or the box...or one that has been opened and returned to shelf with NO sticker anywhere. Damaged returns are often passed on to the next customer. Been there, done that. I once bought a video card YEARS ago that was shrink wrapped and sealed, that contained a different model than the one on the box, no disc, and an OLD, well read gamers magazine rolled up in the box...no stickers anywhere. Had to make quite a scene to get a refund. Back in the day when I DID shop Frys, I got in the habit of opening and inspecting the item BEFORE I left the premises, and returned several items with stickers INSIDE the box...I would not willingly be tricked into buying shelf returns.  
    So while I believe a customer could return a board they bent the pins on....I also believe Frys will sometimes simply pass it on to the next customer and blame THEM for doing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    skullywag:
    Best Buy:

Ahhh...but there's the rub. When you buy a motherboard at Frys you are liable to get one with an "open box" sticker on the outside of the box, the INSIDE or the box...or one that has been opened and returned to shelf with NO sticker anywhere. Damaged returns are often passed on to the next customer. Been there, done that. I once bought a video card YEARS ago that was shrink wrapped and sealed, that contained a different model than the one on the box, no disc, and an OLD, well read gamers magazine rolled up in the box...no stickers anywhere. Had to make quite a scene to get a refund. Back in the day when I DID shop Frys, I got in the habit of opening and inspecting the item BEFORE I left the premises, and returned several items with stickers INSIDE the box...I would not willingly be tricked into buying shelf returns.  
    So while I believe a customer could return a board they bent the pins on....I also believe Frys will sometimes simply pass it on to the next customer and blame THEM for doing it.

This doesn't happen on purpose though. At this point, it's simply on account of poor employee training.