Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014
    Just in case you grew up on a desert island, it is a bad bad BAD idea to buy a refurbished computer. Yesterday we had half a dozen returns on HP refurbished laptops. But here is where it gets interesting:  

1. The laptops were ancient, sporting first-gen dual-core processors, 1-2GB RAM and HDDs from 160-250GB  
    2. No HP software on them at all (bonus?). Just plain vanilla Windows 7  
    3. To activate, the customer had to turn the laptop upside down and type in the barely-legible key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.  
    4. Apparently, the audio jacks don't work on any of the laptops. I made a feeble attempt to update the drivers with DriverPack Solutions, but they still had audio problems. They most likely need a custom driver from HP.  

My coworker and I realized quickly that these were not refurbished by HP at all. I will try to find out the company who did, but the computers ship from a generic warehouse in generic brown boxes. There could be any number of rootkits or trojans preinstalled on these devices.  

Also, unrelated, a customer keeps buying HTC One X phones from another store and returning them to us. Nothing is missing, no signs of physical use, the price he bought it for is the same as the amount he is refunded. I told my manager that if he is not making money of the return transaction, he must have some ulterior motive, such as installing malicious apps designed to steal customer's information.  

DO NOT PURCHASE ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICE THAT IS MISSING THE FACTORY SEALS!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    What does refurbished mean or stand for?
    Service said one thing about building computers and components said another thing
    What is the difference between new and refurbished?
    Does anyone know who will be the new sup 2 in computers?
    The password to all demo computers:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Were these purchased from Fry's?
  2.  permalink
    I would say " Don't buy refurbs from FRYS" ! I have had no problems with the refurbs I have purchased directly from Apple, and the service has been excellent. Buying refurbished stuff from Frys is a different story.
  3.  permalink
    Why would you sell those pieces of crap anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    While I in no way endorse buying an old piece of crap laptop from frys..... it seems you already did.... sooooo go to HP's site, in the support section enter your model number. Most of those older laptops are eligible for recovery discs that are basically the cost the 2 day shipping ($20 on the last set I ordered). They will contain the operating system, drivers and software that came with that unit new. The newer units...you MAY be out of luck..."recovery partitions" replaced the discs and may or may not still be present on the hard drive....if it's STILL there, you can download step by step instructions from the same place on how to restore the drive with it to factory settings .
  4.  permalink
    You're opening yourself up to being outted A30N. Giving away too much info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    Guest: You're opening yourself up to being outted A30N. Giving away too much info.

Don't think he cares.  

Also, our store has HP Elitebooks, first gen i5 dual cores, 4GB RAM, so ancient that I feel like a museum gonna show up any second and buy em lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    Don't think he cares.

I care about helping people, not about fueling Randy Fry's private jet. I remember the promise of technology in the 80's and 90's: to free us from repetitive, mundane tasks so that we may focus on the important aspects of life. Nowadays technology is a horrible, Gieger-esc nightmare that sucks our time and lifeforce, and leaves nothing behind but frustration and angst. I work hard to help good people spend less time on their computer and more time getting the most out of life.  

In response to Skullywag, you know, I know, but the average customer does not know about these things. They just want to buy a damn computer from a store that works without any unnecessary hassle. I agree. Those refurb units should be sold to small/medium businesses with a full time IT dept that can handle re-imaging and driver installation. Imagine if you went to the dealership to buy a car, only to find out you needed to buy some special adapter to get the car stereo to function properly.  

Anyway, just to be clear, DO NOT BUY REFURB UNITS FROM FRYS. Wait for a sale, or better yet, get a newer, faster computer from any of our major competitors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5870
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014
    Why not attach P$C to these piece of shit refurbs so when they crap out (you know they will) customer is going to get a current gen processor when service dept will consider it a joke to fix these shits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Its cheaper to buy the refurb plus the 3 year warranty than the non-refurb with a 90 limited warranty
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    asdf: Its cheaper to buy the refurb plus the 3 year warranty than the non-refurb with a 90 limited warranty

Service Dept will try to void the PSC. They will even tell the customer that the unit has been dropped and that they've detected spill damage. Any damage found, even if its a manufacturing defect, such as a loose DC jack, will void the PSC. By my estimate, 3 out of 4 customers who buy the PSC will get screwed. Wanna roll the dice?
  5.  permalink
    I worked in service 5 years myself. You sound like a good guy A30N.
    •  
      CommentAuthorA30N
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014
    Guest: I worked in service 5 years myself. You sound like a good guy A30N.

If I stay at Fry's another year, I'll be at risk of losing "good guy" status. Two really nasty customers today made me want to install malware on their computers. It's getting more and more difficult to take the high road lately...