Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrysAnon12
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014
    Wonderful. There goes everyone's Thanksgiving plans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    Call in sick?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    I get to sit back, relax, and spend some quality time with family and have a HUGE meal. So glad I quit just in time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    Lololololo. Nice one, Randy, John, and Ken. This move stinks rotten of desperation.
  1.  permalink
    Those are just the hours we will be open. We will most likely be there an hour before and a few hours after.
  2.  permalink
    No midnight to 7am shift this year? Everyone should still call in sick or just don't show up, maybe they'll get the message.
  3.  permalink
    At my store they don't do any split shifts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2014
    Fry's must be desperate for revenue if they're going to be open Thanksgiving afternoon/evening.
  4.  permalink
    They are forced to do this, because their competitors are also doing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2014
    I didn't realize that the Fry's brothers have gun held to their head forcing them to do this. I call BS. There are quite a number of retailers who have refused to go with this trend and to give their employees Thanksgiving off.
  5.  permalink
    You're correct Obi; Costco comes to mind, as well as Trader Joes and several other retailers that give their employees the day of Thanksgiving off to be with their families. I'm sure Randy Fry will be at home with his family and not out working on a holiday. Please don't shop or work on Black Friday! Frys has little regard for its employees, even less for their customers from my experience working for Randy and Co.
    A company like Frys should not force its employees to work on Thanksgiving away from home and family, and definitely does not deserve your loyalty or business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2014
    ObiWan: Fry's must be desperate for revenue if they're going to be open Thanksgiving afternoon/evening.

No more desparate than Best Buy, JC Penney and Toys R Us.
  6.  permalink
    Gotta say, the list of employers that ARE NOT open Thanksgiving are dwindling fast. It's a dog eat turkey world out there.

Online deals aren't what they once were either...Amazon makes you wait for specific times to get certain items...IF they are not sold out a minute after going live.
    I find I get the best black Friday in store deals at Home Depot. And although I rarely ever shop at Office Depot, their Black Friday sales were pretty good last year, and they are not the stores that are usually packed to the gills...so you have a good chance of getting the really good stuff.

I swore of Frys Black Friday sales many years ago...the dirt cheap stuff was trash brands, and anything worth buying was snapped up in minute or had line vouchers handed out for them hours before opening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    I agree with ObiWan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7442
    And of course there's no holiday pay because frys doesn't care about anyone but themselves....
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014
    Guest: And of course there's no holiday pay because frys doesn't care about anyone but themselves....

They would literally screw over the Sales Associates. "Your draw is now 1.5x minimum wage as a form of Holiday pay. Good luck everybody!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2014
    Retailers are putting their best deals on Thursday.  

Black Friday starts one day earlier.  

So there not just forcing employeees to work but also disrupting family functions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 8448
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2014
    lol @ the people bitching about this. You work, you get paid. STFU already and go to work, or don't. I don't get people that bitch about their employers. Those people agreed to work for a wage. If you don't like it, bail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    Guest: lol @ the people bitching about this. You work, you get paid. STFU already and go to work, or don't. I don't get people that bitch about their employers. Those people agreed to work for a wage. If you don't like it, bail.

^ Shitty attitude...  

Did you know they said the same damn things for people working in dangerous environments? When there was child labor? No overtime or double time? Stolen wages? No labor board? No meal periods or breaks? Etc. you can list it buddy because it's all in the literature (or you could Google it). The people complaining are reasons why working at present times is so much better than before, and there is still so much more room for improvement. There are companies, which I can only imply here, that seem to deliberately sleaze their way around more ethical decisions.  

Associates might be willing to work for minimum wage or little pay, even during the Black Friday events, but they most likely didn't sign up for the day of Thanksgiving bologna. Thanksgiving unexpectedly came into the package and associates have no choice but to work it, or otherwise lose their jobs. I know a lot of great people who weren't and are not as lucky as I am; they aren't able to risk their job at Fry's as an expendable career or hobby. You can blame them at your own discretion, but you don't know them. Some of them are students trying to work their way up or stay above the cost of education. Some of them are older people who aren't suitable for skilled careers and only need a little to meet their means, or provide more for their family.
  7.  permalink
    If everyone suddenly has the hive-mind that is OK to suddenly work on a national holiday, rather than be with family which is the norm, then it will keep happening. These folks don't get paid enough for the sacrifice, so fuck the corp that thinks it is fine; you will not see them in your store making sales on a holiday.

If you get fired, who cares. Many other respectable (heh, it's retail) organizations would likely take you in.

Disclosure, I do not work for Fry's. But this ruins the spirit for everybody.
  8.  permalink
    Fry's associates don't care.

You always hear associates saying they are looking for other jobs, but they don't do anything about it. I agree when people say Frys Electronics is where slackers work.
  9.  permalink
    "lol @ the people bitching about this. You work, you get paid. STFU already and go to work, or don't. I don't get people that bitch about their employers. Those people agreed to work for a wage. If you don't like it, bail."

This motherfucker right here. Fry's electronics Computer, and Audio Video sales people do not get an hourly pay. You realize that Fry's salesman do not get paid on ad items right? So no, they are not agreed to work for a wage, you stupid, stupid fuck. They are getting paid to shovel $0 paying commission sales items to people that are so fucking embarrassing they would forgo spending a holiday about being THANKFUL for what you have avoiding their families to save extra money off an item instead of getting great deals during BLACK FRIDAY or CYBER MONDAY. If a sales person accrues less than minimum wage, they don't get free minimum wage. They have to pay back the difference on their next checks, or be fired for not overcoming the deficit after a certain amount of weeks. There is not time and a half for it being a holiday. You can't even get holiday pay (your state's minimum wage btw, very generous you fucking cocksuckers) unless you're a FULL time salesperson, after working a FUCKING year to achieve getting what, 3 days off???? God damn I hate fry's electronics, I am so glad that I quit, and I know it's embarrassing coming on this website still but I do it to defend a group of people still supporting a shitty company in a shitty job that no one should have to work, and I feel sorry every moment that these people still do and have to work there.

So let's recap. This company is telling employees it's mandatory to work during a major holiday where virtually every other major business is closed, away from their families, with no guaranteed wage, selling primarily advertised items (because who the fuck is not going to spend thanksgiving with their family to buy things at retail price during that time) a chance of working the next week just to MAKE THEIR LOST MINIMUM WAGE back.
  10.  permalink
    That pretty much sums it up, Guest 53081. I remember the year we worked 18hrs on Black Friday without being paid any overtime! Everyone working that day at Frys mysteriously had their time cards clocked out and back in one minute later, starting a new 8 hr shift. I think it proves that Frys is a dishonest business run by crooks, ready to screw over associates and customers alike. Don't shop at Frys!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 8448
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    First, there is no comparison to child labor, etc. with respect to working on Thanksgiving. That is a straw man argument, shame on you. Second, when you work in retail on the line (sales, merch or cashier), you are expendable and easily replaceable. Fry's spends a minimal amount of time training their new associates. I don't blame them, they've hired someone on for 100% commission or, if you're lucky, hourly+commission, who in turn is likely to bail within a year or two. So there is no business case to spend capital in training when you are looking at a negative return on investment. However a specific instance where this is not the case is encouraging and requiring employees to get their A+ and Mac certs in service, for which the employee is reimbursed. Here the employee is now obliged to work for Fry's for a certain period of time after achieving certification. I can already hear the "indentured servitude wheels" spinning in other reader's heads. To address that, most companies have a policy where if the company spends money to support someone's educational needs they have to work for that company for a certain time period in return. But, hey, they got a degree out of it.

For the guys that are working at Fry's to get through college. I applaud them. Hopefully, they will remember what working in retail is like and that will motivate them to better themselves and get jobs where they can get paid a wage that is commiserate to the contributions they bring to the company. Though, for the time being they will have to slog it out like most of the successful people in the world and do their time.

Hopefully, those that achieve their college education and join a company will begin to recognize that when you are running a business you need to assure that income is being generated and that sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the company to achieve it's business goals.

Anyways, the point remains, any employee who agrees to work for a company has done so under certain conditions for compensation. If you don't like your terms, find another job. But while you're there and while you get paid on Friday mornings, you have no honor if you are not giving your all in support of the company goals. You are a slacker. You have not earned the right to complain.

I will maintain that most of the bad press and negative customer experiences that Fry's has are solely the responsibility of a front line team that, quite frankly, does not give a shit. They do not understand that they are being compensated for their time at a rate (or commission potential, whatever) to which they agreed! During that time it is in your best interest to represent the company bringing whatever skills you have fully.

I cannot address the time card practices of Fry's, since I have not had a negative experience with that. I would recommend that those of you that believe that there is evidence of fraudulent accounting, that you familiarize yourself with your state's labor codes and visit with an attorney works on a contingency basis (read no up front cost to you) or simply file a complaint through the proper channels. I will say this however, Fry's is very loss adverse and litigation adverse. If they think there is a chance they are going to get sued, they won't do it.

Is it inconvenient to work on Thanksgiving? Yes. Is it devious of the company to ask you to do so? No. They, like you, are trying to make a buck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    Guest: First, there is no comparison to child labor, etc. with respect to working on Thanksgiving. That is a straw man argument, shame on you. Second, when you work in retail on the line (sales, merch or cashier), you are expendable and easily replaceable. Fry's spends a minimal amount of time training their new associates. I don't blame them, they've hired someone on for 100% commission or, if you're lucky, hourly+commission, who in turn is likely to bail within a year or two. So there is no business case to spend capital in training when you are looking at a negative return on investment. However a specific instance where this is not the case is encouraging and requiring employees to get their A+ and Mac certs in service, for which the employee is reimbursed. Here the employee is now obliged to work for Fry's for a certain period of time after achieving certification. I can already hear the "indentured servitude wheels" spinning in other reader's heads. To address that, most companies have a policy where if the company spends money to support someone's educational needs they have to work for that company for a certain time period in return. But, hey, they got a degree out of it.  

For the guys that are working at Fry's to get through college. I applaud them. Hopefully, they will remember what working in retail is like and that will motivate them to better themselves and get jobs where they can get paid a wage that is commiserate to the contributions they bring to the company. Though, for the time being they will have to slog it out like most of the successful people in the world and do their time.  

Hopefully, those that achieve their college education and join a company will begin to recognize that when you are running a business you need to assure that income is being generated and that sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the company to achieve it's business goals.  

Anyways, the point remains, any employee who agrees to work for a company has done so under certain conditions for compensation. If you don't like your terms, find another job. But while you're there and while you get paid on Friday mornings, you have no honor if you are not giving your all in support of the company goals. You are a slacker. You have not earned the right to complain.  

I will maintain that most of the bad press and negative customer experiences that Fry's has are solely the responsibility of a front line team that, quite frankly, does not give a shit. They do not understand that they are being compensated for their time at a rate (or commission potential, whatever) to which they agreed! During that time it is in your best interest to represent the company bringing whatever skills you have fully.  

I cannot address the time card practices of Fry's, since I have not had a negative experience with that. I would recommend that those of you that believe that there is evidence of fraudulent accounting, that you familiarize yourself with your state's labor codes and visit with an attorney works on a contingency basis (read no up front cost to you) or simply file a complaint through the proper channels. I will say this however, Fry's is very loss adverse and litigation adverse. If they think there is a chance they are going to get sued, they won't do it.  

Is it inconvenient to work on Thanksgiving? Yes. Is it devious of the company to ask you to do so? No. They, like you, are trying to make a buck.

Nope. Sorry. Kevin Bacon wasn't in Footloose.

c640x360_21.jpg
  11.  permalink
    How many hours will you guys be working next week?
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014 edited
    Is Voodoo being practiced at Frys? Mind control? Do they take family members hostage upon hiring?  

I have never seen people cry so much about their complete utter lack of a back bone. Yes, Frys treats their employees like shit, and their holiday work schedules sound deplorable.  
    Why are you still there??? Last time I looked, Frys was not the only place willing to hire nose pickers and slackers. THERE IS NO GUN TO YOUR HEAD (and if there was, it would probably be pointed backwards, given the intelligence of some of Frys staff).  
    You know? There's a common theme to this forum...bitch, cry, moan, defend, QUIT, see the light.  

Last time I looked in the want ads, Frys was not the only employer. If yer getting screwed...walk. You WILL find another (and most likely better) job. Nobody can take advantage of you without you ALLOWING them to do so.  

You can't be a pussy all your life. Man up, or quit bitchin.

pussy.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    I am scheduled for 40 hours exact.
  12.  permalink
    I have no family, no life, no friends... just all alone. I don't mind working Thanksgiving since I'd have nothing to do otherwise. All I can say is that I will be making a SHIT TON of money this week. I usually make $700 - $900 a week in just commission, but this week I will be going WELL over $1000. I work in components too so I get a base pay. Bring on the hate!
  13.  permalink
    Guest: I have no family, no life, no friends... just all alone. I don't mind working Thanksgiving since I'd have nothing to do otherwise. All I can say is that I will be making a SHIT TON of money this week. I usually make $700 - $900 a week in just commission, but this week I will be going WELL over $1000. I work in components too so I get a base pay. Bring on the hate!

That's decent for Fry's. I know that in the years since I left I understand that the overall quality of compensation has gone downhill. I understand deferred compensation is gone for new employees and many sales associates saw base wages going away completely. For those without family I can see the allure of the money worthwhile. Unless you are incapable of getting work outside of retail virtually nobody needs to work that day, but some people will want to do it. As unemployment is coming back down to 5% nationally and below that in many states already unless you are young and have no skills or education you can probably do better than Fry's.  

Honestly, I think that opening on Thanksgiving reeks of desperation. Many of the companies that were early adopters are now out of business because they did so to try stave off bankruptcy. I have heard people I used to work with that still work at Fry's that insist that the economy hasn't rebounded, but I think that Fry's mismanagement is the core problem. They kinda dropped the ball big time on the Internet. They were slow to market their website and didn't integrate it with in store stock until well into last decade. The big box stores that marketed themselves on convenience or prices just aren't going to survive when Amazon can do next day or even same day delivery for very little. Prime memberships have grown considerably so for a lot of people unless you need something today retail is going to need to compete on services (e.g. repair smartphone screens, replace integrated phone batteries, etc.). Big Box stores particularly Fry's is not well positioned for that future of retail. As CD/DVD sales dwindle away I have noticed that Fry's is now trying to sell everything from cheap perfume to kids toys to monetize floor space. The idea of trying to sell everything just isn't the future of retail imho. Big Box stores are going to struggle to survive. Smaller niche shops that focus on high end customers will survive, but big box stores will fade away unless they can figure out how to transition to services.
  14.  permalink
    Liana Mei - apparently I got fired just in time. The last Black Friday I worked was the year before this Thanksgiving trend started. I thought 4am -10 pm was bad.