Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    Who has inside info on the warranty scam
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Warranty Scam
    What items is it worth to get the Fry's Warranty on?
    Extended Warranty for Sony DSLR
    Fry's Extended Warranty
    How Long Can Stores Keep My Product For Repair Under Warranty? (CBS NEWS) Sacramento
  2.  permalink
    there's no scam. it's am extended warranty just like any other retailer offers. some items have instant replacement, others repair and they let you borrow a unit. some people see value in it, others don't and don't mind buying new products when it's over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    You mean where the Fry's salesperson tells you their warranty covers everything, you'll get a free loaner and all that horse pucky? That's Fry's modus operandi.
  3.  permalink
    I was usually able to get a good warranty attach rate by simply presenting it as part of the sale. Mention it early and often, stress the features and benefits and customers will see the advantages it can offer. There is no need to exaggerate or be dishonest; You should be able to sell it straight up unless you are a crappy salesperson. Be prepared to hear a couple of no's, try and find their objection and find a solution that helps the customer see the value. I sold enough warranty that they let me slide on signing up Fry's cards and doing TSR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2014
    There's no inside info because it's all spelled out in a contract. I don't think people normally get their money's worth out of that contract, but reading through it will give you more info than asking random people on this website.
  4.  permalink
    ObiWan: You mean where the Fry's salesperson tells you their warranty covers everything, you'll get a free loaner and all that horse pucky? That's Fry's modus operandi.

When I was there one guy was absolutely killing it in 5 year warranties on laptops. The manager said we should pay attention because he had it dialed in.  

I said "He's killing it because he flat out lies to the customers and tells them the 5 year covers everything including accidental damage and liquid spills. Do you want me to lie to the customers as well?" They said "Well that's really not the case." :face-monkey: I said ok stand near him one day when he's doing his sales pitch and tell me what you hear.  

he didn't last long after a couple of visits to the service dept. to explain to angry customers that they were in fact lied to and they weren't covered.  

But hey just another day at Fried. As long as they have cash for 747's and private islands who cares who gets screwed right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014 edited
    Im talking about Frys conning customers into buying it knowing they will not honor it when issues arise
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    glitzy: Im talking about Frys conning customers into buying it knowing they will not honor it when issues arise

That's the normal, everyday standard operating procedure at Fry's - con the customer.
  5.  permalink
    glitzy,

Read things before you sign them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    Guest: glitzy,  

Read things before you sign them.

Or, at least in Fry's case, read it within 30 days of buying it. Fry's will honor their warranty*. The question is: Is it a good warranty*?  

*For the sake of conversation, people call it a "Warranty" even though it's really a "Performance Service CONTRACT". Warranties are normally free and issued by the manufacturer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7421
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014
    "Im talking about Frys conning customers into buying it knowing they will not honor it when issues arise"

examples? I've always seen the customer get a unit as a replacement that was always better then what they originally purchased. no refurbished from the manufacturer either. of course there are times when corporate takes a while to process items. I believe it is it well worth out. if you ever have a problem either the store or corporate fix it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    Guest: "Im talking about Frys conning customers into buying it knowing they will not honor it when issues arise"  

examples? I've always seen the customer get a unit as a replacement that was always better then what they originally purchased. no refurbished from the manufacturer either. of course there are times when corporate takes a while to process items. I believe it is it well worth out. if you ever have a problem either the store or corporate fix it.

This is not true. They rarely get a "better" unit and it's likely to be refurbished. The repairs done at "home office" is actually done by a contractor... micromedics (mpd)... and I have seen them botch so many jobs; their repair time is also very long (8-10 weeks). The only thing I really like is the loaner, and sometimes the stores can be such a hassle to make it happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    Guest: "Im talking about Frys conning customers into buying it knowing they will not honor it when issues arise"  

what the district manager did was tell me he refunded my warranty after I told him the hard drive was corrupt. I dont think he liked it when I told him off....he was an idiot
  6.  permalink
    Generally speaking, the PSC sucks. There are a few items which are very nice to have a PSC on though. Routers typically have a 1 year manufacturer warranty and last about 2 years. 3 year PSC? Yes sir, I'll take one of those. I would never buy it on a desktop or TV though as I know how to fix desktops and most manufacturers offer cheaper better extended warranties.
  7.  permalink
    I meant to say "most TV manufacturers."