Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
    Anyone know about the Fry's point of sale software? I'm wondering how old it is, what tech it runs on, and how they keep it actually running since it's in a DOS window. I know that now there's a new web-based solution which is far worse according to some, but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Audio/Video Salesmen are overpaid and ripoff customers!
    Fry's Salespeople who make a lot of money?
    If you're a professional sales person, Fry's is the place for you.
    Fry's Electronics San Diego Robbed At GunPoint!
    Is Fry's Telesales Gone?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2015
    Charlie: Anyone know about the Fry's point of sale software? I'm wondering how old it is, what tech it runs on, and how they keep it actually running since it's in a DOS window. I know that now there's a new web-based solution which is far worse according to some, but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject.

I'm almost 6 years out so details are a bit fuzzy, but the POS program was written strictly in house so they wouldn't have to pay an outside company to maintain it. Around 2008 I'd say, when they finally had no choice but to update most of the computers, they used a very old Solaris OS with a built in dos shell over windows in an attempt to keep people from messing with the computers and restricting access. If you had no knowledge of computers, it did a great job of restricting access in the fact that everything ran like shit. The other issue with it is the Solaris shell was network based if I remember correctly, so any time there was a hiccup in the network, which was constant when you realize everything ran through the home office servers and they had shitty network infrastructure, it would crash. Constantly.