Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDayana92
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2015
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Post interesting stories about 2008
    Speed reading webapp. Read at 600 wpm. Seriously!
  2.  permalink
    So the PSC warranty does carry some benefits.

Take it to Fry's and if they give you a run around, file a complaint to the Attorney General. Fry's will replace your computer once you claim they have resolved your claim.
  3.  permalink
    Does this really surprise anyone? Frys is one of the most unethical companies I have ever worked for. I do not shop at Frys, and neither should you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015
    Why not shop there? Just price match something that brings their margin down to nothing... and instant gratification for you!
  4.  permalink
    Instant gratification maybe, but if you have a problem, you'll wish you had bought it elsewhere. Read the article...it mentions trying to get it fixed for 6 months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJimbo
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015 edited
    Keep into account that the PSC is NOT a warranty. It's a Service Contract. Although the desired outcome can be the same as a warranty, there are differences in the contract language that make it very different from a warranty. It's exempt from some Department of Consumer affairs regulations as a result. (Or others depending on where you live) With all said and done, it's your responsibly as the consumer to educate yourself what you're buying. With the freedom, comes responsibility. Also with the magic of the Internet it's pretty easy to get informed these days. I'm not excusing Fry's deceptive marketing filled with lies and false promises. But the only reason they continue to get away with it is because their sleazy business model is rewarded every time someone opens their wallet over there.  

Most Fry's sales associates have NEVER read the PSC before. They just know a few dishonest catch-phrases used to sell it. (i.e. "It covers everything", "one thing goes wrong and we'll replace it", etc.) In general, if someone can't explain to you what they're trying to sell you then you probably shouldn't buy it.  

Some Brain Munchies:  
    - With all supplemental warranties and/or service contracts, the company is selling it with the hope that they'll make solid profit and you'll never need to use it. Face it.  

- BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean they're always a bad product. Get informed on what exactly it entitles you to. I've had a $250 extended warranty get me a replacement $3,000 laptop that was 2 years newer!  

- Know the difference between Warranty and Insurance. If you crash your car, the manufacturer's warranty is not going to cover damages.  

- One magical thing about the Fry's PSC that most service contracts don't offer is that you can RETURN IT AT ANY TIME during it's duration! A full refund within 30 days and prorated thereafter. There are only a small number of rare situations where it's smart to do that. But still!  

- In general if you're a only few months into your contract, managers are much more willing to make exceptions for a variety things if it means you'll agree to not return your PSC.  

- Don't buy the PSC if you don't live locally. Just don't.  

- READ the damn contract. Even though the Fry's PSC is ridiculously long, just skimming through the stuff in BOLD and reading Article 10 would've avoided 99% of all the complaints I heard when I used to work as a service tech at Fry's.  

Happy shopping! :face-angel:
  5.  permalink
    "- One magical thing about the Fry's PSC that most service contracts don't offer is that you can RETURN IT AT ANY TIME during it's duration! A full refund within 30 days and prorated thereafter. There are only a small number of rare situations where it's smart to do that. But still! "

Jimbo, Can you elaborate? If I bought a TV 4 years ago at $2000 and wanted to return it towards the tail-end of the 4th year, what would it be prorated at?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2558
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2015
    Guest 49550 You can only return the PSC not the item that you bought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJimbo
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015 edited
    Guest 49550, Guest 2558 is correct. The return clause is not for the product you purchased, it's for the PSC. If electronics retailers took back 4 year old products they would go broke!  

Like I mentioned before, returning the PSC is only a smart move in special circumstances. A 4 year old TV certainly isn't one of them.  
    If it is indeed that old that means the majority of your PSC is used up. So returning it now would heavily pro-rated. Likely get you at most some pocket change.:face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorglitzy
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015
    Jimbo: Guest 49550, Guest 2558 is correct. The return clause is not for the product you purchased, it's for the PSC. If electronics retailers took back 4 year old products they would go broke!  

Like I mentioned before, returning the PSC is only a smart move in special circumstances. A 4 year old TV certainly isn't one of them.  
    If it is indeed that old that means the majority of your PSC is used up. So returning it now would heavily pro-rated. Likely get you at most some pocket change.:face-sad:

I complained to the Attorney General and the BBB and Frys sent me a refund of my PSC fee in full. Even over nighted it.
  6.  permalink
    PSC is prorated off the number of days in the year divided by the amount of time you've used the contract. It's a pretty simple formula..
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2015 edited
    Guest: PSC is prorated off the number of days in the year divided by the amount of time you've used the contract. It's a pretty simple formula..

Can someone tell me, using their "simple formula", how much I would get back from a $300 2-year PSC if I return it on the 31st day? I'm making an assumption that most of you don't truly understand the PSC, the T&C's you claim to be simple, nor Fry's policies very well. Prove me wrong, and give me an answer.  

If Fry's associates, and even management, have a difficult time understanding this, then how can we expect customers to understand it too? I'm not saying the contract is unreasonable (I think a lot of things in there are very standard although I do not think it is very helpful either). I am saying that this is not as trivial as you make it appear, and that is why customers come back frustrated... everything sounds easy until they need to use it.
  7.  permalink
    @Josh

Not as a Fry's advocate, but you yourself don't seem to understand what you're doing with purchases. You are asking people what they would do with facts that either don't matter or make any sense at all in your sentence.
    $300 2yr PSC, if you return on the 31st day? WTF does that even mean? You mean the last fuckin day? Would your dumbass be surprised and upset at pennys?
    -Sincerely: Fuck You, Randy Fry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015 edited
    Guest: @Josh  

Not as a Fry's advocate, but you yourself don't seem to understand what you're doing with purchases. You are asking people what they would do with facts that either don't matter or make any sense at all in your sentence.  
    $300 2yr PSC, if you return on the 31st day? WTF does that even mean? You mean the last fuckin day? Would your dumbass be surprised and upset at pennys?  
    -Sincerely: Fuck You, Randy Fry.

$37.74 is a couple of cents? :face-monkey:  

Quit being a donkey and read the contract. "It's trivial."