Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfrys22
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    I wonder what's gonna happen to the computer department at store 22 (Austin). Since 2011 they have gone through 3 DM already, and today was our current computer DM's last day. I don't know what's going on back there that's causing all the DM to leave (horrible turnover rate if you ask me), I'm only a cashier. Anybody from store 22 got any explanations? Thanks!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    AMA Former Computer Department Supervisor
    Moral is still down in the computer department
    computers department
    STAND UP COMPUTER DEPARTMENT, AV DEPARTMENT
    Supervisors & Department Managers & ASM & Store Managers
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015
    Probably it's Fry's wonderful compensation system that's driving them away....or the fact that Fry's treats managers like crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3072
    It's a dead end job. You make 50k a year, in hopes that maybe if kiss the right ass for 5 or 10 years you might get promoted to ASM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys22
    That is a horrible salary for a DM. No wonder they have left. I also heard that 3 other salesman in that department also walked out within the last 2 weeks. In the meantime, there are 2 sups in our department (FCO) that are also thinking about quitting. Who's gonna run the store once that all happens? :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
    Looks like they might start closing stores soon.... hmmmm
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015
    r3j3ct: Looks like they might start closing stores soon.... hmmmm

Something in the press or online regarding this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2015
    ObiWan:
    r3j3ct: Looks like they might start closing stores soon.... hmmmm

Something in the press or online regarding this?

No, just a wild guess... err prediction
  2.  permalink
    Hey, I work at that store as well.
    FCO as well...
    Not sure why people are leaving, but they seem to be going to Dell quite often.
    Since so many former managers/supervsors from Fry's are there now, I guess it's good to know who you work with.

Who is thinking about leaving FCO?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys22
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    Guest: Hey, I work at that store as well.  
    FCO as well...  
    Not sure why people are leaving, but they seem to be going to Dell quite often.  
    Since so many former managers/supervsors from Fry's are there now, I guess it's good to know who you work with.  

Who is thinking about leaving FCO?

Not sure who, it's still just rumors. I hear that the sales people make a lot more than us though, in commission. I might seek a sales position sometime soon since they're all leaving.
  3.  permalink
    They offered me a sales position, but I turned it down.
    The thing about sales is that you don't get a steady pay rate.
    It's strictly commission only, and I have heard you have to go to meetings a lot.
    This cuts into your sales, so you basically have to lie to the customers to make any $.
    If you don't make at least minimum wage, they pay you anyways.
    However that means you go into the draw, which means you have to pay it back.
    If you draw too often, you get fired.

Those sales persons that left got fired.

With the promo codes cutting into the commissions on sales, I think it's better to at least get a base wage.
  4.  permalink
    Hello, I work at store 22 and have noticed how DMs keep leaving. AV has the same problem as well, I believe.
    The current DM left because they found a job at Dell, and also underwent surgery. This yelling is just unwanted stress.

If you are thinking about going to a sales position, please listen to what I got to say.

Basically DMs are pushed to sell PCS (service contracts). They get yelled at a lot if they don't.
    However, the service contracts are overpriced for what they cover. A lot of customers are smarter than corporate would like to believe... at least to my experience.
    They don't want to spend too much money, and know their product will be obsolete in about a week (I'm exaggerating a bit but...).
    They also know that sales occur weekly (now daily) and if they need to replace something, saving that extra for something better is for the best possible outcome in the long run.

A lot of the salesmen that left or are still in Dept 2, Store 22 also have various skills that they are able to (and do) use to greater effect outside the store, such as building their own computers, networking, trouble shooting, knowledge of databasing and coding and general knowledge of programs, peripherals and their nuances. If anything, they're currently severely underpaid for their knowledge and expertise and tend to find extra work outside the store (this goes for a lot of departments, and I'm pretty sure even stores). There are more customers than salesmen, especially on weekends, the buyer buys way too many terrible products that you're expected to push that people won't want or will return right away. You'll rarely have the stuff people want or need.

speaking of terrible products, the 3rd party apple wire section is 12 feet of pretty much the same goddamn wire. I'm pretty sure we have 30 variations of the lightning cable there, and that's not including what's in AW. People say this is because it promotes competition. I say it just promotes insanity. And imagine the merchandisers that have to look at each individual plu to stock that stuff every single day? Or the tablet cases! Oh my gosh, the tablet case aisle. We are a college city, so everyone has tablets, so everyone wants a tablet case, of course, but the packaging is easily torn or lost because people keep opening them, we barely have any good looking styles in.

Not only that, the salesmen there are a bit less motivated because of the change from hourly+Commission to pure commission. I will say this, though... a lot of sales people in the Fry's computer department at store 22 rarely, if ever, get fired. I've rarely heard about anyone ending up in the draw if at all.
Add your comments