Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthormaladoror
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    Hi,  

I have emailed the Duluth and Mableton Fry's about having a custom PC built, but after a week still no reply. Perhaps someone on here can answer my question? I have picked out all the parts, not all the parts are available in store and some need to be ordered. Can you tell me what I need to do next? Should I come in the store and give them the SKU's and pay for them and have them delivered to the store? I was thinking that if they are all delivered to the store, I would not have to worry about being told that the board or chip have a bent pin or that I did something to them.  

I used to build all my systems my self, but now my eyes are not what they used to be and my hand has gotten a little shaky. It sucks getting old. I do not mind paying the $90, so if a pin gets bent, Fry's can pay for the new part.  

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    Just my humble opinion,but you might want to consider other alternatives than having Fry's put your computer together. They'd treat it kind of like the old American Tourister gorilla commercial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015
    You're better off going to iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC for your custom builds.
  1.  permalink
    I highly doubt you're going to be able to have the parts shipped to the store. Just order the parts from another location and bring them in yourself. If a part you bring in gets bent, I doubt Fry's will replace that part. However if it's a part that you buy in the store that somehow gets bent, then they can and will easily just pull another off the shelf (provided that they have another) and replace it. Also it's best to just talk to the people in person. I don't think any store will reply to emails from customers (unless it's a complaint)
  2.  permalink
    In todays world, there is no reason whatsoever to pay ANYONE to build a PC for you. These days, all parts are plug-n-play and it takes about 30 mins to fully assemble a PC from scratch. PLENTY of online guides for newbies....although, if you know enough about it to choose the parts....you shouldn't need a guide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Guest: In todays world, there is no reason whatsoever to pay ANYONE to build a PC for you. These days, all parts are plug-n-play and it takes about 30 mins to fully assemble a PC from scratch. PLENTY of online guides for newbies....although, if you know enough about it to choose the parts....you shouldn't need a guide.

Nailed it... of course it'd make more sense if you're 80 years old and never done it before ;)
  3.  permalink
    Since everyone here isn't being very helpful, you bring any parts you can't get in store with you on the time of building and buy any parts you can get in store at the time of paying for the build. Builds are half off right now so 24.99 for just slapping it together or 44.99 for installing the OS and drivers. http://www.frys.com/ads/page50. Turn around time really depends on what store you go to and how busy they are but on average a build can be finished in 4 hours or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Guest: Since everyone here isn't being very helpful,.

It's more like we're being brutally honest In the end, that IS helpful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015
    One thing to watch out for is that my technicians will not install any anti-virus or third-party utilities (ie, Flash, Acrobat Reader, Java, Chrome, Firefox, etc) unless you dish out another $30 PER software. So for all that, you're looking at another $180 on top. And if you want your data transferred from your old computer, that's an extra $70. But we're not going to organize any of it for your; you're on your own there.  

Your Best Buys Are Always At Fry's!
  4.  permalink
    FWIW most of the parts I've bought from frys for my last computer have failed before they should, I got a PSC on the motherboard, it failed/replaced. That ping ponging of it being fixed or not event took over 6 mo to troubleshoot, and occured durring my last year in college which was why I was building it, I needed an upgrade to handle school projects at home. Before that, had a friend who never ended up getting RAM that would work right from there on multiple occasions.

Add on how their abilty to QC returns flew out the window when they started having cashiers process returns vs a dedicated staff, open boxes of cards would not get labeled, and merchandised to look new. People would return old graphics cards in the box of their new card. The cashier didn't know how to verify the product, just saw a card and figured that was it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015
    Guest: FWIW most of the parts I've bought from frys for my last computer have failed before they should, I got a PSC on the motherboard, it failed/replaced. That ping ponging of it being fixed or not event took over 6 mo to troubleshoot, and occured durring my last year in college which was why I was building it, I needed an upgrade to handle school projects at home. Before that, had a friend who never ended up getting RAM that would work right from there on multiple occasions.  

Add on how their abilty to QC returns flew out the window when they started having cashiers process returns vs a dedicated staff, open boxes of cards would not get labeled, and merchandised to look new. People would return old graphics cards in the box of their new card. The cashier didn't know how to verify the product, just saw a card and figured that was it.

Oh yeah, it was bad before; now, it's worse. It's not just the change over of cashiers, but they removed a lot of the Courtesy Associate's password requirements during a return transaction; so long as you scanned the receipt, UPC, and it's under a dollar amount, no Courtesy Associate is required for the return. This was an excellent idea, but not when implementing cashiers (Customer Service Associates) into the returns. I think it's good productivity-wise and better to cross train associates, but not at near minimum wage - they have no incentives (low pay as a CSA) or accountable (no CA to password); they should have at least one or the other.  

As for having the build done: It's possible for them to get "Out-of-Stock" parts into the store if you have a real ambitious technician (really rare); so long as it's available at another store (in their same district), they can call the other store and ask them to transfer the item. Each store seems to have come up with their own "unofficial" policies for item transfers, some will ask for an email, officially use the Store Master (only department supervisor+ could do) program, others are fine by word of mouth but it's risky because they can forget or there's no documentation that you had ever asked. All in all: It's better to get the parts yourself. If it's a "Special Order" item or it's no longer available at Fry's (ie. no PLU number or none in stock nearly company wide, etc) then this would be even more frustrating then previously said; they do have specific policies that make these type of requests nearly impossible to implement, and you need assertive/persistent associates, supervisors, and M&O District Supervisors (Buyers). It's really rare to get all three. I was a pain in the ass while I was a Customer Service Service Sales Supervisor - actually in all of my positions - but this is how I was able to get things done; people really didn't want to deal with me, even my voice is kind of annoying and "whine-y", and I could spam emails and write letters all day (as you can tell from this post), my knowledge in other departments also prevented people from telling me "I can't do this" or "I don't know how to do that" and I would read their policies (on Operations Webpage) as often as possible to thoroughly understand their policies (I held 4 different supervisory position in 3 departments over the course of 5 years); however, these kind of associates get fired (such as myself) and so we're also a really scarce to find.  

I think it's reasonable logic for the customers to have Fry's build their computers, and to prevent the risk of damage by themselves and further compel management into more favorable decisions in the event of a "problem." I think the builds are pricey, but it seems to be close enough to a standard such that other places aren't offering a competitive price either. As for parts: If the store doesn't have the parts, are out of stock, or anything that would cause your system build to be incomplete, this is a matter you should really take into your own hands rather than hoping the store will take care of it for you. Another problem with system builds is dependent on the Service and Components Department themselves: Time. Some stores utilize the Components department to do the builds too, and you can get your builds back very quickly; however, some rely solely on the Service department, and they have many check-in's to deal with, no Service Coordinators (anymore), lots of paperwork, and backup on their in-store repairs, cut back on associates and their pay as well. Unless you caught them at a most ideal time and got a more aggressive technician, you probably wont get your build back during the same day.  

Welp, hope that helps. Good luck.