Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2015
    Any help on what do until I go back?:face-sad:
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Got suspended for 5 days with no prior warning
    Just got done dealing with a FRYS BRAND PC
    Just got 5 Day'd today
    Just got a job today-- what can you tell me!
    just got a direct deposit from fry's...final paycheck?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    Yeah - use the time off to start looking for a better job. You can look at my previous post for help:  

http://frysforum.com/discussion/4931/even-more-help-getting-a-better-job/  

What did you get suspended for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    Charlie: Yeah - use the time off to start looking for a better job. You can look at my previous post for help:  

http://frysforum.com/discussion/4931/even-more-help-getting-a-better-job/  

What did you get suspended for?

4 Different infractions over 3 months, no write ups, only discussions with management - have to come back next week to find out the what corporate deems actions
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    I say fuck it and look for a new job. The Fry's business model is all about exploiting it's workforce for everything it can. If you've been talked to four times, look at it as a chance to do better at another company that's more interested in taking care of their people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    Charlie: I say fuck it and look for a new job. The Fry's business model is all about exploiting it's workforce for everything it can. If you've been talked to four times, look at it as a chance to do better at another company that's more interested in taking care of their people.

I kinda figured you say that. But it was decent pay for what I was doing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015 edited
    I wouldn't worry about it. Don't keep your hopes up: If you received a counseling with a 5-day suspension, your employment is very-likely terminated. California is an at-will state, and they can fire you for basically anything; the corporate office will pencil-whip it in a heart beat. I think the corporate office role was meant to prevent illegal reasons for termination, but this does not appear to be true anymore. Of all the 5-days I have seen in my 5+ years at Fry's, I have only seen one overturned for being blatantly illegal (a Department Manager commanded an associate to stay past the 5 hour mark to help with the Returns line, and then they tried to 5-day him for going past 5 hours; he was fired for something else later anyways). I have seen associates 5-day'ed for "doodling" on paper in V-Con, another 5-day'ed for not selling enough W-stat items (clearance), and even a 5-day for working at NASA (I'm being serious - and please do not release the associate's information if you know this person, the person is a student and had non-monetary reasons for working at Fry's on Weekends).  

A lot of the positions at Fry's do not pay well: I use to be very pleased with the $14 ~ $15/hr I was making in various lower-management positions, and I worked hard for it.  

^ Yes, one of my current job. Not just a "Assistant Student Worker", a "Jr. Assistant Student Worker" (entry-level written all over it at all levels). A couple of things really top it off: i) they are super flexible with the schedule, and ii) they think they are "ripping me off" with such low-wage.  

$14/hr back then was a good wage. It's 2015 dude. Now, $14/hr is student pay, which offers super flexible schedules (nobody cares if you are 10-15 minutes late or need 3 consecutive months off for research opportunities, even during the school year) and chill environments (meaning like 7 out of 8 hours you are probably working on your homework assignments). Engineering students bitch and moan if internships don't pay at least $20+/hr, or don't at the very least pay for their housing if the wage is lower than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015
    Josh: I wouldn't worry about it. Don't keep your hopes up: If you received a counseling with a 5-day suspension, your employment is very-likely terminated. California is an at-will state, and they can fire you for basically anything; the corporate office will pencil-whip it in a heart beat. I think the corporate office role was meant to prevent illegal reasons for termination, but this does not appear to be true anymore. Of all the 5-days I have seen in my 5+ years at Fry's, I have only seen one overturned for being blatantly illegal (a Department Manager commanded an associate to stay past the 5 hour mark to help with the Returns line, and then they tried to 5-day him for going past 5 hours; he was fired for something else later anyways). I have seen associates 5-day'ed for "doodling" on paper in V-Con, another 5-day'ed for not selling enough W-stat items (clearance), and even a 5-day for working at NASA (I'm being serious - and please do not release the associate's information if you know this person, the person is a student and had non-monetary reasons for working at Fry's on Weekends).  

A lot of the positions at Fry's do not pay well: I use to be very pleased with the $14 ~ $15/hr I was making in various lower-management positions, and I worked hard for it.  

How about for horseplay and buying an item on the clock as two of the "things" to get suspended over....  

^ Yes, one of my current job. Not just a "Assistant Student Worker", a "Jr. Assistant Student Worker" (entry-level written all over it at all levels). A couple of things really top it off: i) they are super flexible with the schedule, and ii) they think they are "ripping me off" with such low-wage.  

$14/hr back then was a good wage. It's 2015 dude. Now, $14/hr is student pay, which offers super flexible schedules (nobody cares if you are 10-15 minutes late or need 3 consecutive months off for research opportunities, even during the school year) and chill environments (meaning like 7 out of 8 hours you are probably working on your homework assignments). Engineering students bitch and moan if internships don't pay at least $20+/hr, or don't at the very least pay for their housing if the wage is lower than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015
    Policies have almost nothing to do with your termination.  

I've seen people time fraud for 3 hours and get a 3-day Suspension, and another for 45 minutes and get 5-day with Involuntary Termination. What's the difference between these two associates? Time fraud will catch their attention, but the final decision had nothing to do with time fraud or the severity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    Forgot to ask, do you go in as dress code or just show up in casual wear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015 edited
    Uge3: Forgot to ask, do you go in as dress code or just show up in casual wear?

If you're terminated, what does it matter? They told me to come back on a Thursday, and I came back on a Saturday or Sunday; I wore a t-shirt, shorts, sunglasses, and I was on my way to the beach because it was a beautiful day. Enjoy!  

I highly recommend not being too sad that it's over. If you enjoyed working there (I was one of those people too), then I am certain you learned a lot and worked hard; you're a great candidate for future careers, and I wouldn't even imagine Fry's as being a "black mark" just because of termination.  

Here's another perk for you: You get the SAME employee reference as any other associate... to emphasize... associates who were fired, super star associates, Customer Service Associate, Store Managers, Sales Associate, M&O District Manager, any position and any level of talent (whether it be the most lazy piece of shit worker ever or an associate who was a Champion compared to others)... all receive the SAME employee reference. According to their Employee Reference policy, and to preserve confidentiality, the benefits department will only provide your name, dates you worked, last position, and only with your written letter of approval, your wage.  

With that, there is literally no benefit for anyone quitting. They literally practice a near- no rehire policy (I haven't seen it officially in writing, but I saw it in practice during my various lower-management positions, and with over 5 years of experience at Fry's). 3-Day No Call No Show? Same reference. Fired? Same reference. Super star? Same reference. In fact, when you go back to pick up your paycheck, ask the Manager to print out the Employee Referral/Reference policy for you; it's under the Benefits Department on the Operations Webpage if they are not sure. There should be a button for Operations Webpage, but if they refuse to do it or can't find it, they can type in operations.i.frys.com on a Fry's computer (Fry's network). I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same (but I'm not denying that the link may have changed during my absence). This should be re-assuring for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited
    Yup I did get let go, but called corporate in advance via a loan company to find out...LOL:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015
    Uge3: Yup I did get let go, but called corporate in advance via a loan company to find out...LOL:face-devil-grin:

Wow, you went to extreme ends to find out.
  2.  permalink
    As others have said just get another job. Unemployment is the lowest it has been since 2008 so if you have enough job experience you can probably do better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited
    Lucky, I actually tried pretty hard to get fired from Fry's after a while, but in the end I had to finally just up and quit. Basically I'd constantly work past 5 hours, hoping they'd eventually get fed up with it and can me (so that I could have some $funemployment$ to act as a financial buffer while I transitioned over to another industry). But eh, I guess the curse of having high numbers and being flexible regarding all the other shit you need to do in the department, is that short of doing something illegal, they keep you around. By the time I quit, I think I had like 14 instances of going over 5 hours.