Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMTeeDew
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015
    Idk is it just me or are the managers sometimes like an ass when you ask them for a password for something you genuinely need such as at returns?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Tyler Bannock misses Michael Jackson
    Michael Jackson is dead
    Cheat on your Sony PSP/Sony PS2/Nintendo GameCube/Nintendo DS/Nintendo Wii/Microsoft Xbox
    This Belongs in the Comics Section
    Who Would Make A Good MIC?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015 edited
    When I was a Customer Service Sales Supervisor (MIC), it became tiring to give passwords and work with frustrated customers all day; it can wear you out. Some people wouldn't even call me by my name or say hello, they'd just wiggle their fingers in the air to indicate they needed a password, or follow me around with their fingers tapping each other (like Mr. Burns in the Simpsons).  

A lot of associates would try to rush me even though I type ~ 110 wpm, and they wouldn't want me to look at things or think about my decision. This is frustrating too. It's my password; give me a second to figure things out or to make a decisions (it's my butt on the line if things go wrong).  

I'm not sure if people viewed me as rude, but I know I did have a few bad days.
  2.  permalink
    I understand that it can get hectic for any MIC or DM to constantly be bombarded for a password...

But, it's kinda that way because the customers don't want to have to wait around because the associate that's helping them can't do anything else without approval. (Gotta love those days when all the managers are at a meeting when you need a password for returns)...

Also it kinda worries me when they do just password away without even looking at the screen, I would hope that you can check if I'm or they're doing everything correctly...
    •  
      CommentAuthorUge3
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015
    And don't forget ASM passwords for Price matching quotes... i used to have to call 2-3 times in order to get a DM to answer the call...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited
    Guest: I understand that it can get hectic for any MIC or DM to constantly be bombarded for a password...  

But, it's kinda that way because the customers don't want to have to wait around because the associate that's helping them can't do anything else without approval. (Gotta love those days when all the managers are at a meeting when you need a password for returns)...  

Also it kinda worries me when they do just password away without even looking at the screen, I would hope that you can check if I'm or they're doing everything correctly...

They honestly need to restructure the password check system.  

Say for instance you walk into a Target and there are pants sitting under a 2 for $25 sign; you go to the register and they ring up for $20. The cashier immediately realizes that these pants are jeans and the sign specifically advertised denim (some people use interchangeably but it's not exactly the same). By policy, by the book, the customer is wrong; however, the cashier immediately discounts the jeans to $12.50 without the assistance of any supervisor or manager. [Target associates can do price adjustments of up to $20 without a Team Leader (equivalent to Supervisor) or an Executive Team Leader (equivalent to Department Manager)]  

This is something that can't be done at Fry's, or couldn't be done when I last worked there. Lets say you walk into a Fry's and you find the USB memory you've been looking for and the price is marked $22, but it's ringing up for $32. The Customer Service Associate can't make the adjustment alone, and Customer Service Supervisor can only make an adjustment to <$5 or <5%. Their first instinct is to go to the Department, and they look and look for a Supervisor who might; the Supervisor is competing against their own Sales associates for Commission and they are setting up a sale right now... you wait... wait... wait... Then you get their help. Even if the Sales Supervisor isn't a complete donkey, their password doesn't work; it's > 30%. Then you go to the MIC and the MIC can't even password themselves on a quote, so they need you to make a quote (hopefully the Sales person already did it) so they need someone to log in so they can create the page and password it. This whole process normally takes ~ 20 minutes, and the customer needs the help of 4 people to finish their transaction. What a hassle!  

You could even do the opposite... What if the price was marked $22.50 even though it was $32, and the associate goes to the MIC first... VERY CLEVER... The difference is less than >5% or %5 (true) and so to skip the hassle of going to Sales (besides checking the sign that the customer is honest if they want to go that far)... Bam, MIC tries to password it... It fails. Why? Because MIC can't password less than 30%, it has to go to the DSC. Yes, MIC doesn't over ride the DSC rights. Sometimes, it's worse if the person who is MIC is a Supervisor for that corresponding supervisor for that department because they'll need someone else to log in as MIC or they have to call the Help Desk in order to be logged off. This takes extra time!  

The whole system is just really silly. It has a whole check and balance system but it is inherently costing more. During my last year, I saw some changes to the rights (including CA password being removed on returns lower than $200 w/receipt and scanned UPC) but I didn't see much as far as Management passwords go (the only change I recall was when IPM first came out MIC could only password greater than 30% for IPM, but nothing less; then they changed it to 20-30% and nothing more or less, and I don't even know what it is now). Maybe it has change since then, but they have been the same for so long and were that way when I left.  

I'm glad they have been more strict about assigning a temp Store Manager or ASM rights when there is no SM or ASM working; in the past, if the difference was greater than 30% and no SM was around, can only do the LPG: Make the customer pay first and then do a refund to correct it. What a huge hassle and burden to the customer. I use to hate telling them that it was the only way that could be done without a Store or Assistant Store Manager present. Customers would look at me like the biggest dumb ass in the world because I'd be the Manger in Charge but could not correct the price for them; I agree with them.  

Again, I don't know how it works no since I have not been working there for a really long time... but this is a bit of a Fry's history lesson. I'd have to really work the system to get things done in the past, and had to be very knowledgeable of the system and policies if you really wanted to do well. I could never expect associates to know as much about the system or policies compared to me because it required reading so much of the Operations Webpage (going beyond the handbook) that it was like studying for an exam. If you gave the Supervisor the actual test posted on the website from their Manual, I would have no doubt that a good majority would fail. Customer Service Supervisors generally only know the CS stuff, and converse for the Sales Supervisors (and I would imagine less now since they have become more like glorified Sales). Department Managers were typically as knowledgeable as the Sales Supervisors, unless they had been there for years, transferred from other departments, or from the corporate office (if they didn't want to be an M&O District Supervisor anymore "buyer").  

All in all for this long story, what people think is a "complicated" scenario, your typical MIC will probably be able to half-glance at the screen and know/understand the details very well. You have no idea how many times I have heard "I don't know if you've seen this before, but..." I've seen it 1,000x each day, and everyday.  

As a side note: I did email Mr. Myron Wilson (D1 Customer Service District Manager) a long email full of ideas, but I never received a response and I never saw any changes with the exception of two things: CA Password rights and the Item Completion form. There are still a lot of things in that list that really need to be changed if they want to have smoothly flowing departments, otherwise it's still a dog eats dog culture in Fry's, and Departments are not unified.
  3.  permalink
    @Josh A lot of that is still true, where price adjustments have to be done by a supervisor, where they can only do up to $5 or 5%, otherwise we would need to make a quote and get it password.... with 30% or over needing SM/ASM passwords, this is why I usually loath having to do price matching (when it's not at returns) because of having to wait around for someone to password it when my Sup is unable to (or better yet, "mismarks" when it's just the item is in the wrong spot, but they're willing to argue it out)
  4.  permalink
    sorry for the double post, I'm also Guest 24126, just posting at a different computer
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015 edited
    What a bummer, but this does not surprise me.