Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAcidBurn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    So promo codes have gone through a couple of changes. It used to be a unique code for each item per day. Then it was separate codes for 4-day and flash sale.  
    Now it's just one code for each day which certainly makes things easier, however once you put the code in there is a 30 seconds to 1 minute delay before the discounts are applied  
    depending on how many items being rung up are on code.  
    Does anyone know why it does this? Is it sending a request to a server with a database of all active codes and which items have been used up on that code?  

Speaking of which what the fuck even is the point of promo codes now? Why don't they just discount the prices. I'm constantly getting customers who see a discounted price being advertised  
    but don't get that they need the code, so they just expect that low price. It's a huge waste of time because now you gotta find a fucking code since their shitty instant code doesn't work  
    if you sign them up same day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    It is definitely an authorization thing. The code is neutered as soon as it's put in.  

Promo codes do seem pointless now that customers can see them easier. They might as well just do regular flash sales. It's obvious that relying on CSAs and Staff to spread the word about promo codes was never going to work because it hurts the bottom line, wastes time, is always a far cry from the customer's actual problem, does not actually guarantee foot traffic for other products, and the fact that I've seen plenty of people seem actively turned off since promo codes cause customer frenzy (a lot of foot traffic in a short amount of time for one ridiculous 2 dollar item, and only one item) when the same customer gets turned around so often because they decided to wait 4 days for some reason and they get pissed. When I try to explain promo code to customers they just get frustrated now and say forget it. Yes I will give you the code, but I need you to sign up. And I don't blame them. Not everyone likes ads.  

Also instant promo code do work. It's a longer code, but apparently you either count 7 digits from the back or the front (i forget which at the moment) and that's the instant promo code.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMLS
    I always attributed it to some sort of sequential search in the programming for that... especially since each promo code is meant for a list of items compared to the individual item codes that I witnessed when I first worked at Fry's  

I have tried doing different tricks to getting the instant code to work, and some have... but as far as I know, we're probably just getting lucky by hitting an actual promo code that's out there (and could potentially screw someone else out of it)  

also I was guest 24126 in the MIC passwords thread, I bothered to get an account now
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015
    Fry's promo code is a last ditch effort to keep the company afloat for just a bit longer before the ship sinks. Most of the promo code items are junk anyways, either third party brands or shitty products they're trying to get rid of etc. Even if it's something worth buying (like a processor for half off) by the time you get to the store they're "sold out". Your best buys are always at Fry's!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited
    Maybe they're hoping the customer will forget they were trying to buy something for a discount, and will want to pay full price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    Honestly, they're hoping the customer comes in and picks up enough impulse items to balance out the sale. Sometimes this happens.  
    96% of the time, it doesn't....
  1.  permalink
    What I don't get is why people just come in for water.
    Big deal it's $2.40, you can get Walmart water for $2.48 EVERY DAY (plus you don't need a code).

Not to mention that despite what it says on the email about NOT being able to do in store pickups on this stuff.
    Like 90% of the in store pickups are on PROMO CODE.
    Meaning you can't even use the quote for the pickup...

Seems like that's a stupid idea to let people do store pickup on this stuff, cause they come straight to the registers and don't have to hunt around the store. Possibly seeing items they might actually want, instead of being cheap...

Not sure if anybody else has noticed that since the codes have started, we seem to have a lot more "ethnic" shoppers, who seem to always complain about even a dollar difference.
    If the code doesn't work, they often don't buy the item.
    Plus if there's a limit on stuff, they sign up for 3-4 codes (it should be 1 item per family).
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7245
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015
    jumped through hoops for two days...

i'll shop somewhere else
  2.  permalink
    i have never been successful in using Fry's promotion codes. It was always a frustrating experience.

I have given up on Fry's and will not shop there any more.

A company specializing in computers should employ someone who can write a working program for their sales ads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJessrond
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017
    I broke it.  
    :face-crying:

4ofjesse.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorHouseDBA
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017
    Promo codes are slow because of an infrastructure problem that will NEVER get fixed because of ISD. Basically all the promo codes have to go through the returns server (which is an old, overworked, piece of shit) instead of the shiny, new promo code server that a turnsitofandonagain (or maybe it was another friend/coworker, I don't remember) built around 2 years ago. The big chunk of promo codes gets loaded into both databases, I made sure of that. All ISD has to do is change the freaking code... but they won't. I have no clue why but my guess is they don't know how. It requires a change in the base POS code but so many of the people who knew that code have retired or left.  

This is also what causes the website to crash and burn at the holidays when the load gets about ~13-14k users, returns server takes a shit and the whole site goes down (the year I left I was watching it Thanksgiving morning trying to predict the load lol it was kinda fun; what can I say? I'm a little weird).
  3.  permalink
    its slow the database is queried at the local level not server side.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJessrond
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017
    it's because none of you speak English.  

Go back to Tibet you white-hating scum.

boron07.jpg
Add your comments