Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcidBurn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    So shit here is kind of falling apart I guess. A couple of weeks ago our Service Dept. Manager abruptly quit since he found a job at Conn's.  
    Apparently home office is removing the ASM position? So our ASM has put it in his two weeks. And after financials our Store Manager quit.  
    I'm not sure why he quit, there's been rumors of disputes while he was at financials. I'm assuming it has something to do with the ASM  
    position being removed. Are you guys experiencing the same shit? What happens now?  

Our computer Dept. manager is next in line it seems, and there has been speculation a former manager might come back. Everyone is stressed too  
    it seems, more than usual. Lost a couple of really cool people in my department too. Shit sucks...
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why do LP people drive nicer cars than the store managers?
    I wonder if store managers knew what Omar was doing?
    Why are DMs and store managers with spouses and kids the biggest assholes?
    San Diego store managers gives televisions away
    Supervisors & Department Managers & ASM & Store Managers
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    There's been major restructuring at store 22 as well. We've been a rotating door of associates and managers and who could blame them? The company treats them like if they're not going to do anything, they're not worth a dime if they don't hustle. The problem with thinking like that is when you gotta hustle, you will obviously hustle, and when you hustle people notice, and around here there are a lot of prime casters looking into reeling in some big fish and really notice. They want the kid with college degree down the block with 6 months of experience fixing computers. They want the manager who could help with dell's bottom line and are really looking into cutting out the middle man.  

Then the next in line comes along and he knows less than the last person, and so on and so forth, until it's turtles all the way down, only instead the top is Gamera and the bottom is like a Koopa Troopa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015 edited
    The high attrition rate and constant restructuring is nothing new. It's ironic because their constant restructuring and sleazy tactics have clearly kept them from going out of business; however, these changes have not reversed their (downward) trend. I personally believe they have buried their graves too deep to get out of it.  

No position is safe at Fry's, and anyone can be fired for anything; people know it, and many people will quit before it happens. SM at Fremont transferred and the ASM recently put in his notice; I don't know the details because I don't work there anymore, but this implies a lot to me even if their individual reasons had nothing to do with the changes... their other objectives still had higher priority than their position, which may have not been a same decision anyone would make 5-10 years ago.
  2.  permalink
    At Store 14, we have been without a Service Dept Manager for about 2ish months now and without a Computer Manager for about two weeks. We hear rumors about our ASM and Warehouse getting cut which is really sad because our ASM seems to be the only person actually working in management while our new Store Manager spends his time chatting with the female employees and following pretty female customers around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2558
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015
    Store 14 Here another Person:

Our ASM Robert is a really awesome guy, I would have much preferred it if he would have became the SM, Arnold he seems friendly and all but I don't think he can cut it he is very chatty with them indeed. I as for David the DM for computers he left for greener pastures, he did an incredible job with the Department and hope he would have been there longer it was nice working for him, he is one of the few people that actually took the time to provide constructive criticism on my work that helped me improve. As for Warehouse, I really wish they would get payed more they are a really essential part for the store and are really helpful if you ask.
  3.  permalink
    I am happy that someone made this thread. I was just about to make the same one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015
    Do you know why those 3 managers quit? Because you'd get treated better even at places like Wal Mart.
  4.  permalink
    Store #26 saw it's ASM, Tim, quit recently. Nobody misses his lazy fat ass.
  5.  permalink
    Hi. It's Tim Grady here. Friend just text me and said I was being bashed on here and I was really hoping for some good stuff. But then I read I was fat and lazy. I thought I was going to have to defend myself here, but nope. Everything here is true. It doesn't take a genius to realize that my stomach enjoys beer a little more then most. I am impressed that you noticed. I tried to wear smaller suit jackets to hide my massive girth but I guess I couldn't get past you.

And then I am really impressed that you noticed how lazy I was. I mean, I tried extremely hard to make it look like I was working. You know, with me watching entire baseball games in the TV area without a radio, and sitting at my desk watching movies. Call me for a password?....fuck you, I'm reading a magazine. Can't find me, even though I am mic? I was probably down the street at the home depot. Your sd stickers can wait because I am taking a nap in the bathroom .

You are probably also right that no one misses me, seeing as I really made no effort to make people like me. I have never worked at a store with such a collective bunch of idiots in my life, that it doesn't surprise me at all that lack of charisma didn't catch on.

In reality, if you really want to know some real answers, just ask me.
  6.  permalink
    You're obviously not the real Tim but it's still pretty funny. Hey "Tim," "you" forgot to mention the part in which "you" only worked 20 hours (or so) per week. Or the part about "you" taking 3+ lunches per day during what ends up being a 4 hour shift. If the real Tim ever does come on here, I hope he reads this. Good luck Tim. Sooner or later, Bed Bath and Beyond will figure out what a lazy bastard you are and fire your ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 8487
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015
    Also heard that they are taking away merchandise supervisor positions. Instead there will be only 2 "merchandise supervisors" (whatever they will change them to) in charge of merchandising the whole store along with 12 merchandisers. I know this is what the "A Team" is about that they're sending out but I'm not sure if this is going to be the structure of all stores starting soon. Whatever it may be it's completely ridiculous! More stress & work for everyone but hey anything to keep a buck or two in the Fry's brothers pockets. Time to abandon the sinking ship & move on to greener pastures -_- As for ASM being removed that is indeed true. They will all now be "Merchandise Manager"
  7.  permalink
    Ha. Actually this is still the real Tim, and you're right. I did forget about all that. Maybe I forgot because despite all of that I still got paid as if I had actually done all that. I mean, you would think that if you noticed, surely my bosses also noticed and talked to me about it. But no.....they allowed it. Total chumps if you ask me.

But really, if you keep pointing out all my "shortcomings", eventually you will mention one that I wasn't aware of and didn't plan out way in advance.
  8.  permalink
    So who will the new ASM be? And is the store manager done cleaning house?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015
    I'd be really surprised if they replaced the ASM. It looks like a very unstable position and possibly the next to be removed. If they did get another one, it would probably really temporary, or a quick-stepping stone for someone they want to make into an SM at another store.
  9.  permalink
    There hasn't really been a need for an ASM for years. The ASM is just a gimped SM that barely has more power than a DM. Most of them are useless anyway. See Tim Grady above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited
    Guest: There hasn't really been a need for an ASM for years. The ASM is just a gimped SM that barely has more power than a DM. Most of them are useless anyway. See Tim Grady above.

Hmmm, just because a position may appear useless, doesn't mean the person in the position has to be. Sometimes, positions may seem useless, but removing it may inherently cost more.  

Just look at Service Coordinator:  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE  

Axing that position was honestly a horrible idea. I have so much to say about that position and Assistant Store Manager, but I just don't feel like writing another essay on here (for now). Maybe at a later time.
  10.  permalink
    Its cool to hear from people from your same store (Roseville) on here. I would like to chime in on the Tim situation. I think he is getting a bad rap. I liked him a lot. When he came into the store, he was really good. He was working really hard to make sure that our department was running smoothly, and that everyone there was working on set routines and plans. He was always in there helping out with schematics, or teaching us things that no one had taught us before. He was always on our case about our focus bins and stackouts, and showing us how to track those so that we can make the most money. He really helped out a lot. In my opinion, he did more then any other ASM I worked for. I know that he was up for a promotion, along with Arnold. I think he was light years better then Arnold. Once Branden came back and Arnold got 14, Tim seemed very distant. He did get pretty lazy, but in my opinion, it just looked like he was just pretty disgruntled or checked out. Maybe he already had his other job lined up. Do you really think that he was lazy since he started in that store?

As for the ASM position, I think it all depends on how good the SM is. When I was in Sacramento, the SM, Mark Ashby, didn't do much. It was the ASM that did all the work. The ASM has the same exact set of rights as the SM does, so I don't know why you think they don't have power. I think this change might be to get the SM to do more work, instead of pawning it off to the ASM. But that is just my opinion.

Who do you think will be the new ASM in 26? Any rumors? What department are you in?
  11.  permalink
    Within the last 2 years like 90% of all department managers in my store moved on to Dell or Apple.
    Even a few supervisors as well.

Now we have an AV dept that is pretty much useless (they won't even fix the 4k video that constantly loops in the front of the store).

They recently spent a bunch of time & $ on painting the columns & finally reducing the shelving heights in the Av/Computer departments, yet won't spend a dime to replace the AC or fix water issues in the bathrooms.
    Despite it being at least 80 degrees in certain parts of the store (even customers complain).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunPun
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015
    Guest: Within the last 2 years like 90% of all department managers in my store moved on to Dell or Apple.  
    Even a few supervisors as well.  

Now we have an AV dept that is pretty much useless (they won't even fix the 4k video that constantly loops in the front of the store).  

They recently spent a bunch of time & $ on painting the columns & finally reducing the shelving heights in the Av/Computer departments, yet won't spend a dime to replace the AC or fix water issues in the bathrooms.  
    Despite it being at least 80 degrees in certain parts of the store (even customers complain).

Something tells me this is Store 22.  
    Put a new coat of paint on some shit and it's still shit.
  12.  permalink
    I worked at Store 22 for over almost 8 years. Supervisor for the majority of it. Store 22 was so damn slow to fix something, they let the AC up front with the cashiers not be fixed for pretty much the entirety of a summer one year. It was easily 80+ degree's up front and I felt really bad for the cashiers that had to work up there. Oh and I was one of the few supervisors that didnt go to Apple or Dell, found better employment at a tech company and although I dont make quite as much as I did at Fry's at my peak yearly salary, its still a great place to work, and the perks are awesome. Leaving Fry's was the best damn decision I ever made.

As for the AV Department... that side of the store has been horrible at fixing things for a VERY long time.
  13.  permalink
    Fry's is a shit-hole grind-fest. End of story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcidBurn
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    Guest: Fry's is a shit-hole grind-fest. End of story.

amen to that brother  
    my anus is still sore from tonight
  14.  permalink
    Worked at Store 22 for 3 years and was the cusp of making Supervisor when they drastically changed up payroll. Ever since Supervisors went from salary to hourly plus commission the store has falling apart. Clearly it was done as a budget cut but it also came with a mass exodus of good employees. Department Manager, ASM, and SM were about the only job titles worth having at that point. They also cut way back on hourly employees and made nearly the entire floor commission based. The draw back to that is suddenly no one cared to stock the shelves and keep things neat and organized because you made no money to do that.

I don't really know anyone there anymore as they all left for better job myself included.