Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    Finally moved onto a better job. Nothing against many of the awesome people I worked with, but fuck Fry's. Too much high school politics in this lemonade stand of a business.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Service Technician here. AMA.
    How much do service technicians make?
    Service Technician Jobs @ Fry's
    AMA! Former Service DM
    Thinking about PC technician position...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    I have so much to say, but summarize it, Service isn't interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    Fry's could care less about anybody leaving, they just hire new and clueless people and throw them into the shark tank.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015
    Josh: I have so much to say, but summarize it, Service isn't interesting.

Interesting isn't the word that I'd describe Service as. Try hellish.  

r3j3ct: Fry's could care less about anybody leaving, they just hire new and clueless people and throw them into the shark tank.

You're describing sales. Service isn't so much of a shark tank as sales on our end meant nothing when the work didn't get done on time, but they've been trying to structure it like one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2015
    Well, at least we never had to scrub the toilets, unlike the folks in customer service. :face-smile:  

Seriously though, I think they do tests in the company to determine how much each department likes their job, and if they find a department that likes their job a HAIR more than another department, they suddenly task that department with some crap task that makes them enjoy their job a little less in order to make sure everyone dislikes their job equally.  

What service lacked in people steeling other peoples sales, it made up for in customers yelling at you because their repair wasn't done on time or something wasn't covered by their PSC or they were just pissed at the world that their shit was broken or whatever.  

That said, got anything lined up? Or did you just have a "fuck this shit" moment and walk out, figuring you'd find something eventually once you escaped?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    gobo760:That said, got anything lined up? Or did you just have a "fuck this shit" moment and walk out, figuring you'd find something eventually once you escaped?

A little bit of both. Long story short, I recently started working at another company that not only pays more, but is far less stressful. Gotta love the small business structure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    Lol... Everyone thinks their department is different, but in the end, all of them are really the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2015 edited
    Anakin: A little bit of both. Long story short, I recently started working at another company that not only pays more, but is far less stressful. Gotta love the small business structure!
    Ha, EVERY place is less stressful than Fry's and most pay just as much or more (as well as being more rewarding).  

I kind of left in a similar way. I was offered a chance to learn how to program and work in CRM by working for a small start up that already had a growing client base, and I was trying to do it on the side while still working in service at Fry's (so I'd work a full day at fry's, go home, and then work another 5 hours -- barf).  

Finally I just had to cut the cord and dive in head first to the programming stuff. It was actually a pretty easy decision to make (all things considered) since I knew Fry's was like the definition of a dead end job to nowhere. Now a days, I can't express how much I value the ability to do my job from wherever I feel like (assuming that wherever I am has an internet connection).  

Anyway though, good luck with all that man. In a weird way, Fry's does kind of act like boot camp for trying to remain calm while logically troubleshooting something and getting bombarded by other people's problems and frustrations all at the same time. It's kind of like "wax on, wax off" for dealing with chaos and technology, even if you end up eventually doing something that has nothing to do with hardware or repairs. When I left Fry's, I actually recruited a couple people from my department to join the company I'm with now (and they like literally quit the same day I offered it to them) so I know most people want to get the hell out of there, it's just the opportunities haven't arisen yet.  

The only thing I really missed about Fry's was the people... our service department had some of the funniest fucking employees in the store working in it (in a way, they were essential to relieving the stress of customers fuming at you day after day). But pretty much every day I was there, I'd have at least one moment where I'd be laughing so hard about something, that I couldn't breathe. If it wasn't for them, there's no way I would have ever stayed at Fry's as long as I did (in fact, the day that I learned that the funniest person in our department was getting laid off because he didn't pass the A+ certification test, was the same day I handed in my notice).  

By the way, just out of curiosity, what was service pay like when you finally left? Ours was about 17/hour by the time I got out of there, but I heard it's gone down considerably since then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    gobo760: By the way, just out of curiosity, what was service pay like when you finally left? Ours was about 17/hour by the time I got out of there, but I heard it's gone down considerably since then.

Our pay varied around roughly $12 - $13 an hour. I got into the department just after things really started to go bad (Coordinators, supervisors, returns area getting cut, service pay getting lowered, etc.).
  2.  permalink
    Hello current service tech here what's was your stores Internet speed. Ours is a shitty 128 kilobytes a second if we are lucky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    Guest: Hello current service tech here what's was your stores Internet speed. Ours is a shitty 128 kilobytes a second if we are lucky.

It was pretty shitty on our end too. I often had to tether my phone to get anything done on time.
  3.  permalink
    A few years ago the internet speed in Service relied on a shitty consumer grade Netgear router with a 3G modem attached. That's it. Whoever came up with that solution should be shot in the fucking face. First of all, the building is essentially a damn warehouse that gets no good signal. A 3G modem is not going to run a Service Department. Often I was also tethering my phone if I had to and use that instead. Everyone would personally download drivers/software on their home connection after work, rather than waste time trying to use the internet in Fry's Service Dept. Seriously? This (is supposed to be) a damn tech store! Embarrassing.
  4.  permalink
    We're a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with useful information to paintings on. You've performed a formidable job and our entire group can be thankful to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016
    Guest: We're a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with useful information to paintings on. You've performed a formidable job and our entire group can be thankful to you.

wait_what.jpg