Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015
    Wanted to warn everyone that Fry's might retaliate against you if you leave on "bad terms" with them. I heard a story of a supervisor who, one day on the job, said he doesn't "want to do this anymore" and walked out. Later, when a different employer called to check his work references, Fry's seemingly told them not to hire him since he ended up not getting the job even though he was told he would be hired.  

This is illegal and shitty of Fry's if that's what they did but just a warning to those who want to quit.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Hours cut? File an unemployment claim and Fry's will pay you to chill.
    Fry's doesn't like people collecting unemployment
    My Fry's Electronics Inc Unemployment Claim was DENIED
    when does frys contact for employment or lack there of?
    Seeking Employment @ Frys
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhilipJFry
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015
    How would they know who the next emoloyer is? I refused to list anything of another job and just gave a two weeks notice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2015
    The guy listed Fry's on his resume, and I'm assuming they called from there.  

And what sucks is that this is a major corporation in his town. Now he may be barred from employment at all their locations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015
    All this person needs to do is to get the documentation and contact the EEOC and a lawyer. Fry's will be toast.  

Had a former supervisor at a company I used to work for pull that. The company settled out of court really quick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2015
    ObiWan: All this person needs to do is to get the documentation and contact the EEOC and a lawyer. Fry's will be toast.  

Had a former supervisor at a company I used to work for pull that. The company settled out of court really quick.

He might have some success with that but it's better to prevent problems rather than react to them happening. After all, he did lose out on an employment opportunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015
    What most people do, and this is not a Fry's specific thing (it's known to most), is ask their friend to be a reference for them.  

I'm not meaning to ask a random friend or simply another employed friend to be your reference; however, when you work for a long enough period, you can and typically do become friends with at least one management person who can be your reference. Don't waste your time on Fry's Employee Reference/Verification policy because they cannot practice their own policies anyways (I know from experience). It's as simple as that.  

If you don't have at least one friend in management, who is willing to be your reference, then that should tell you and the potential employer something very important...
    •  
      CommentAuthorayahu2
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015
    Josh: What most people do, and this is not a Fry's specific thing (it's known to most), is ask their friend to be a reference for them.  

I'm not meaning to ask a random friend or simply another employed friend to be your reference; however, when you work for a long enough period, you can and typically do become friends with at least one management person who can be your reference. Don't waste your time on Fry's Employee Reference/Verification policy because they cannot practice their own policies anyways (I know from experience). It's as simple as that.  

If you don't have at least one friend in management, who is willing to be your reference, then that should tell you and the potential employer something very important...

Josh is the voice of reason. Why would anyone in their right mind list a reference that they quit on bad terms? It's highly doubtful. If Fry's really did this they would be in trouble since is highly illegal. And I can't say someone who does add them as a reference after quitting on poor terms doesn't deserve it... it's common sense.
  2.  permalink
    Don't put new job or just check personal on the VQ forms. Why do they need to know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    Guest: Don't put new job or just check personal on the VQ forms. Why do they need to know?

They'll be contacted by the company you're applying to, and you generally don't want to list any gaps in employment on an application if you don't have to. It's usually a suspicious sign if you "just quit" without another job lined up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Guest: Don't put new job or just check personal on the VQ forms. Why do they need to know?

Important Safety Tip - DON'T mark or sign anything - even if you voluntarily quit. Fried can't force you to sign anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    ObiWan:

Important Safety Tip - DON'T mark or sign anything - even if you voluntarily quit. Fried can't force you to sign anything.

I wouldn't say that's the best advice in all cases. If you want to stay on good terms with them, such as giving them proper notice or leave, you can cooperate. Now, if you're getting terminated, or been suspected of shoplifting, it's better not to sign anything until you talk to a lawyer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    What does it matter if you're on good terms with Fry's?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016
    Josh: What does it matter if you're on good terms with Fry's?

Because future employers look at your job history as a metric on whether to hire you or not. They don't know or care about how horrendous of a place Fry's is to work - what they want to know is did YOU work well there or not because they'll predict how you're going to work for them based on that impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016
    And what I will also add is that you have nothing to gain by telling your managers off when you quit. They're all in the same boat that you're in and they all hate their jobs. Fry's isn't a place where people can self-actualize. It's a place where you can merely exist.