Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxray328
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016
    Hey guys. I had my local Fry's do a custom gaming PC build for me last night with an I5 6500. Of course I open my email this morning and there's an I5 6600 on promo for the same price. Will they allow me to return the PC and swap out the processor? Thanks.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    How do I go about having a custom PC built by Fry's
    returning some memory
    Question about returning a used HDD
    Fry's Custom Building Your PC - Now being Advertised
    Minimum wage in California changing
  2.  permalink
    You can exchange the product, but the promo has nothing to do with labor charges. Considering that promo items loses them money, swapping out your CPU costs money I doubt it. Just learn how to do it. Stop paying for stuff anyone can do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016
    How much of a discount is the promo?
  3.  permalink
    There's no point in returning the whole computer. If you remove the processor, and still have the packaging, you can return the processor and purchase the new one. Then you can install it yourself. If you're not up to that you can try talking to the store about a tech swapping it for you. Lots of Fry's stores will not swap out parts for free but I don't think it's unreasonable that they could since it's about 15 minutes worth of work including powering it up to make sure that it works. Give it a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2016 edited
    Guest: There's no point in returning the whole computer. If you remove the processor, and still have the packaging, you can return the processor and purchase the new one. Then you can install it yourself. If you're not up to that you can try talking to the store about a tech swapping it for you. Lots of Fry's stores will not swap out parts for free but I don't think it's unreasonable that they could since it's about 15 minutes worth of work including powering it up to make sure that it works. Give it a shot.

You might get charged additionally if you had a liquid cooler installed. I'd say around $30 or $50 on average. It also depends on the tech too. Some techs are money-hungry sharks while others would simply take care of your PC free of charge.  

When I used to be a tech at Fry's, if a customer had a PC build with us and wanted to swap out parts, we'd generally swap out parts for free as long as it's within 30 days of purchase, especially if it's high-labor work, like liquid cooler installations, SLI/crossfire, RAID, etc. From what I remember though, we really had to charge for things like motherboard swaps (for obvious reasons), and everything I said in the last sentence would be null and void if a nazi, drama-causing bitch of a tech was working on the same shift as me.