Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsnidel
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2016
    I was looking for a new job, currently at bb. I was looking for a similar job that did a better job at actually trying to teach me more about what I am selling. Does Fry's actually try to train people, or just expect us to blindly sell?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    sales training question
    Question about TV returns?
    A few questions about store returns
    question about LP
    Question about online preorders
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4285
    Frys expects you to want to sell and thus do research on your own time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsnidel
    That sound familiar.... Somehow I was hoping someone would put an effort into it. I get doing Retail Edge or something on my own. Sad there is nothing else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    Training is terrible, but there are a lot of things you can do if you would like to improve your product knowledge.  

What helped me the most was dabbling with things that had been returned in the returns area (Customer Service Sales), and especially things that were tossed in the test/repair bench (TRS). It did two things for me: I found out which products were returned often (probably don't want to sell), and got my hands on the electronics to see what kind of features they had, what the returned items lacked that I could use as a pitch for the next item, and I thought it was fun; however, I was never in a commission-only sales position and did not have share the same worries many sales associates have today.  

Aside from Intel's Retail Edge, I found a load of things on Cyberscholar and was once Sony "Tatsu-Jin" "Master" certified (took all of their online modules) through that site, and they have many other vendors with training modules too. By no means will you be walking out an engineer, but I still found it interesting anyways, and it gave me a chance to win prizes (I did win some). I honestly wouldn't even worry if your store doesn't sell a particular product or if you work in a different department because I find a lot of electronics to share conceptually the same features.  

I also took Apple's sale training. I actually didn't like their training that much except for the ones covering effective listening and demos; the other training just seemed to cover Apple lingo and have you memorize a few features for points, and I have to admit that I'm not very impressed by their products.  

You obviously don't have to do this through Fry's ;)