Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008 edited
    They act like its an exclusive club or something. You never see this behavior from Discover, Visa or MC customers. One day this guy at the registered called the Fry's card a "Fly By Night Credit Card" and he only uses AMEX. Before we took AMEX serveral customers made scenes because we didn't take it, etc. What is sooooooo special about American Express? We get people in their 20s with the AMEX Blue card that make big scenes about it and telling us every perk it has.....WTF!!!!!!!!!!
  1.  permalink
    They act high & mighty because they are mighty high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008
    I know what you mean. They preach the word like the Amex is god. Doubles your warranty, if you don't like some service they can get your money back guaranteed, points that get you anything you want, and NO credit limit. I have heard it all. These guys are insane pretend to be able to buy anything they wish.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    worm:I know what you mean. They preach the word like the Amex is god. Doubles your warranty, if you don't like some service they can get your money back guaranteed, points that get you anything you want, and NO credit limit. I have heard it all. These guys are insane pretend to be able to buy anything they wish.

welll they can, but I hate to see their bill at the end of the month.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    m_tux:
    worm:I know what you mean. They preach the word like the Amex is god. Doubles your warranty, if you don't like some service they can get your money back guaranteed, points that get you anything you want, and NO credit limit. I have heard it all. These guys are insane pretend to be able to buy anything they wish.

welll they can, but I hate to see their bill at the end of the month.

More loop holes for the rich. "I can do anything I want cause I'm rich see the card"i am a worm.
  2.  permalink
    I have a credit limit on my personal AMEX card. My corporate one doesn't have a limit, though they will deny payment for things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheophilus
    Amex really is the best card out there. You get way good rewards, like 3-5% of your purchase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    Fuck rewards. It's all a load of crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    Correction sir, the toilet is loaded with crap. :face-devil-grin:I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Amex is just another company trying to rape your pocketbook. Or cash drawer. Or bank account. Whatever the hell you store your money in.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    AyaHu:Amex is just another company trying to rape your pocketbook. Or cash drawer. Or bank account. Whatever the hell you store your money in.

If you pay your balance in full each month, like most AMEX customers do.....how are they trying to rape me? I've had my AMEX and a Visa credit card since 2001 and I've not paid NOT ONE CENT IN INTEREST!!!!! So please, enlighten me on how they are trying to rape me?  

I love it when people who know nothing about credit cards and or just hates them start spewing non-sense about them.......Dave Ramsey is that you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    meinside100:
    AyaHu:Amex is just another company trying to rape your pocketbook. Or cash drawer. Or bank account. Whatever the hell you store your money in.

If you pay your balance in full each month, like most AMEX customers do.....how are they trying to rape me? I've had my AMEX and a Visa credit card since 2001 and I've not paid NOT ONE CENT IN INTEREST!!!!! So please, enlighten me on how they are trying to rape me?  

I love it when people who know nothing about credit cards and or just hates them start spewing non-sense about them.......Dave Ramsey is that you?

You're a pscho, my friend. All credit card companies are out to rape you. ANYONE who pays their balance in full is NOT GOING TO GET ANY INTEREST. Clearly you arent thinking about the other 89 percent of the world that DOESNT pay their balance in full and instead uses it as a way to finance larger purchases. ALL credit card companies are out to rape the consumer whether you PAY FOR IT or not.  
    PS I know too much about Amex, as, my mom was the Human Resources Manager for the entire country. Before she married for money and retired early.Superhero!
  3.  permalink
    AyaHu:
    meinside100:

You're a pscho, my friend. All credit card companies are out to rape you. ANYONE who pays their balance in full is NOT GOING TO GET ANY INTEREST. Clearly you arent thinking about the other 89 percent of the world that DOESNT pay their balance in full and instead uses it as a way to finance larger purchases. ALL credit card companies are out to rape the consumer whether you PAY FOR IT or not.  
    PS I know too much about Amex, as, my mom was the Human Resources Manager for the entire country. Before she married for money and retired early.

Actually 40% of Americans with CCs pay them off every month not just 11%. Don't believe me, look it up!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Ok, don't believe everything you read on the web. When you get into the real world you'll find out how much Credit Card companies paid the press to make those statements.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    33% APR????!??? Where do I sign up!!!!??
  4.  permalink
    I hate credit cards. They are the devil. I have one and only use it for emergency's.
  5.  permalink
    SDCherryPicker:I hate credit cards. They are the devil. I have one and only use it for emergency's.

Only to those who charge more than they can pay off each month!!! Once again Dave Ramsey is that you?
  6.  permalink
    meinside100:
    SDCherryPicker:I hate credit cards. They are the devil. I have one and only use it for emergency's.

Only to those who charge more than they can pay off each month!!! Once again Dave Ramsey is that you?

Are you high. If I use it I pay it off. I can afford to use one but why waste the money on shit I don't need.
  7.  permalink
    SDCherryPicker:
    meinside100:

Are you high. If I use it I pay it off. I can afford to use one but why waste the money on shit I don't need.

Are you high as well? People can use cash to buy unneeded things as well.
  8.  permalink
    meinside100:
    SDCherryPicker:
    meinside100:

Are you high as well? People can use cash to buy unneeded things as well.

True.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    meinside100:

Amex continues to rape your employeer and any fucker who accepts their agreed 3 to 6% transaction fee. You see it in your reduced commission and just the general higher cost of living. Even the gas station charges you more if you use credit cards OR have a higher cost because the accept all methods of payment.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    If you have enough to pay it off each month why the fuck do you need/want/carry a credit card in the first place? Psycho.Superhero!
  9.  permalink
    AyaHu:If you have enough to pay it off each month why the fuck do you need/want/carry a credit card in the first place? Psycho.

Get free cashback (100s per year in my part) for buying the stuff I need to buy anyway like gas, food, etc. Why pass it up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    meinside100:
    AyaHu:If you have enough to pay it off each month why the fuck do you need/want/carry a credit card in the first place? Psycho.

Get free cashback (100s per year in my part) for buying the stuff I need to buy anyway like gas, food, etc. Why pass it up?

Amex is passing some of its transaction fees to you. The stores are eliminating transaction cost by raising the price. How does this help anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch

Just in case, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch:

Just in case, of course.

Yes thats mainly why I have mine, but this guy is saying he uses it ALL THE TIME.  

Cashback Hahahaha. Every dollar counts as a point. You're a fruit.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    AyaHu:
    Sasquatch:

Just in case, of course.

Yes thats mainly why I have mine, but this guy is saying he uses it ALL THE TIME.  

Cashback Hahahaha. Every dollar counts as a point. You're a fruit.

It would be cool if you can get free minutes on your cellphone instead of pointsi am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    AyaHu:
    Sasquatch:

Just in case, of course.

Cashback Hahahaha. Every dollar counts as a point. You're a fruit.

$427, what I got back last year, is not so fruity :face-smile: Most of that is the 5% rebate on BP gas I get from my Visa card.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    So now you are saying you carry American Express and Visa and you use them without ever incurring APR charges.  
    5% is less than STATE TAX where I come from, definately not worth it. But you're so full of shit it's kind of disturbing. And you have two Credit Cards with at least 300$ Credit Limits (I know AMEX starts there, dont know for sure about Visa but Im guessing) You work for minimum wage so you make about 600 something per paycheck, barely enough to pay your cards OFF every month plus rent and bills, and if you are in California rent is high and so are bills.  
    Oh wait, you might live with your mom. Otherwise you simply dont use your credit cards but if what you say is true about your 427$ that must mean you often use it. Because I know on mine Ive spent well over 14k on it over the past few years and I have some high amount of points but I still only get 125 cashback. So instead Im saving for some cool electronic device. Havent decided yet.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    AyaHu:So now you are saying you carry American Express and Visa and you use them without ever incurring APR charges.  
    5% is less than STATE TAX where I come from, definately not worth it. But you're so full of shit it's kind of disturbing. And you have two Credit Cards with at least 300$ Credit Limits (I know AMEX starts there, dont know for sure about Visa but Im guessing) You work for minimum wage so you make about 600 something per paycheck, barely enough to pay your cards OFF every month plus rent and bills, and if you are in California rent is high and so are bills.  
    Oh wait, you might live with your mom. Otherwise you simply dont use your credit cards but if what you say is true about your 427$ that must mean you often use it. Because I know on mine Ive spent well over 14k on it over the past few years and I have some high amount of points but I still only get 125 cashback. So instead Im saving for some cool electronic device. Havent decided yet.

Who says I live in CA and make minimum wage? I live in GA and make about 16/hr with commission and have 3 roommates sharing a 3 bedroom apartment for $950 a month. What does sales tax have to do with anything? So in your opinion getting 0% back is better than 5% LOL. Your insane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008
    Do you work at Alpharetta or Duluth?
  10.  permalink
    Sasquatch:Do you work at Alpharetta or Duluth?

Alpharetta
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    You're sad :< But I like you cause you said I was hot.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    What ever did you do with that terrible picture of you in a cave holding up a can? You should have saved it for scientific analysis. Never before has such a pretty girl looked so GODDAMN FUGLY in a random picture. The secret to curing cancer was probably hiding inside of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    Sasquatch:What ever did you do with that terrible picture of you in a cave holding up a can? You should have saved it for scientific analysis. Never before has such a pretty girl looked so GODDAMN FUGLY in a random picture. The secret to curing cancer was probably hiding inside of it.

Probably true but I didnt mind the picture and since I am pretty good lookin in person I dont mind a few bad pictures every now and again. Everyone knows its the angle, lighting or circumstance. I think its still up, though, I didnt delete it....Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    It's ok. Cave lighting suits nobody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Superhero!
  11.  permalink
    meinside100:They act like its an exclusive club or something. You never see this behavior from Discover, Visa or MC customers. One day this guy at the registered called the Fry's card a "Fly By Night Credit Card" and he only uses AMEX. Before we took AMEX serveral customers made scenes because we didn't take it, etc. What is sooooooo special about American Express? We get people in their 20s with the AMEX Blue card that make big scenes about it and telling us every perk it has.....WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Amex isn't much of an exclusive club anymore. There are some older people who had cards before Blue that have some mentality that Amex is special, but I would be surprised to see many 20 somethings that would view Amex much different than Visa/Mastercard. Except for the high end charge cards I don't see any justification for feeling special in possessing an Amex card anymore. If they present a Platinum or a Black Card they really are big spenders, but most Amex holders are average folks. I only ever saw one Black card working at Fry's and it was some older woman who managed some high end real estate(think millions). Most of the people with Amex have the Cosco card if they are a Cosco member or one of the variations of the Blue Card, which has no annual fee. Most of the people with the low end charge cards(Green or Gold) are just posers who want to feel like they are high class. I had friends in college who had the Green or the Gold card. The annual fee is a bit of a deterrent, but some people think the additional services are worth the $65/$125 annual fee.  

Theophilus:Amex really is the best card out there. You get way good rewards, like 3-5% of your purchase.

Calling it the best card is a bit hyperbole, because unless you are a big spender most of your purchases on an Amex account will never earn 3-5% in rewards. Amex Blue, only gives you 5% on gas/drug stores/supermarket and only then once you have spend $6,500 in that calendar year. Before that you are earning just 1% and you are earning an unimpressive 0.5% on all other purchases until you hit $6,500 in purchases. Better than nothing, but nothing I would get too jazzed about since most cash rewards cards give you 1% on all purchases from the first dollar spent.  

For those of us with stellar credit, you can get credit cards that give 2-3% on gas and 1% on all other purchases starting at your first dollar charged. Of all the cards in my wallet right now, the one with the most lucrative rewards for my modest income isn't an Amex card even though I do have an Amex card.  

I will admit that AMEX has good customer service based upon the few times I ever used it and that they have some special deals that you can buy tickets to some AMEX sponsored entertainment events a day early, but for a lot of people who don't have a large amount of disposable income Amex doesn't have the best rewards card. For the very wealthy one could easily jump to the higher rewards tier quickly where you could earn more even despite the lower earning tier, but for most people having an Amex card is more of a status symbol.  

Especially for a lot of younger people who don't have huge disposable income, which until 30 is most young people, I think it they are acting pretty stuck up about whining about not taking Amex because it all likelihood they could probably get better rewards using a different card. Until a couple of years ago there were a lot of places, not just Fry's, that didn't take Amex. Until a year or two ago, Trader Joe's despite a more upscale client base didn't take Amex. Despite selling $3K+ laptops Fry's didn't take Amex until recently either. Until about two years ago a lot of fast food places didn't take credit period.  

Before the Blue Card came out Amex was pretty much a status symbol for the wealthy. These days thanks to Amex Blue being on the market for close to decade, a lot of retailers that previously could afford to say no to Amex have felt the pressure to accommodate the desires of the customers.
  12.  permalink
    Former_Frys_geek:
    meinside100:They act like its an exclusive club or something. You never see this behavior from Discover, Visa or MC customers. One day this guy at the registered called the Fry's card a "Fly By Night Credit Card" and he only uses AMEX. Before we took AMEX serveral customers made scenes because we didn't take it, etc. What is sooooooo special about American Express? We get people in their 20s with the AMEX Blue card that make big scenes about it and telling us every perk it has.....WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Amex isn't much of an exclusive club anymore. There are some older people who had cards before Blue that have some mentality that Amex is special, but I would be surprised to see many 20 somethings that would view Amex much different than Visa/Mastercard. Except for the high end charge cards I don't see any justification for feeling special in possessing an Amex card anymore. If they present a Platinum or a Black Card they really are big spenders, but most Amex holders are average folks. I only ever saw one Black card working at Fry's and it was some older woman who managed some high end real estate(think millions). Most of the people with Amex have the Cosco card if they are a Cosco member or one of the variations of the Blue Card, which has no annual fee. Most of the people with the low end charge cards(Green or Gold) are just posers who want to feel like they are high class. I had friends in college who had the Green or the Gold card. The annual fee is a bit of a deterrent, but some people think the additional services are worth the $65/$125 annual fee.  

Theophilus:Amex really is the best card out there. You get way good rewards, like 3-5% of your purchase.

Calling it the best card is a bit hyperbole, because unless you are a big spender most of your purchases on an Amex account will never earn 3-5% in rewards. Amex Blue, only gives you 5% on gas/drug stores/supermarket and only then once you have spend $6,500 in that calendar year. Before that you are earning just 1% and you are earning an unimpressive 0.5% on all other purchases until you hit $6,500 in purchases. Better than nothing, but nothing I would get too jazzed about since most cash rewards cards give you 1% on all purchases from the first dollar spent.  

For those of us with stellar credit, you can get credit cards that give 2-3% on gas and 1% on all other purchases starting at your first dollar charged. Of all the cards in my wallet right now, the one with the most lucrative rewards for my modest income isn't an Amex card even though I do have an Amex card.  

I will admit that AMEX has good customer service based upon the few times I ever used it and that they have some special deals that you can buy tickets to some AMEX sponsored entertainment events a day early, but for a lot of people who don't have a large amount of disposable income Amex doesn't have the best rewards card. For the very wealthy one could easily jump to the higher rewards tier quickly where you could earn more even despite the lower earning tier, but for most people having an Amex card is more of a status symbol.  

Especially for a lot of younger people who don't have huge disposable income, which until 30 is most young people, I think it they are acting pretty stuck up about whining about not taking Amex because it all likelihood they could probably get better rewards using a different card. Until a couple of years ago there were a lot of places, not just Fry's, that didn't take Amex. Until a year or two ago, Trader Joe's despite a more upscale client base didn't take Amex. Despite selling $3K+ laptops Fry's didn't take Amex until recently either. Until about two years ago a lot of fast food places didn't take credit period.  

Before the Blue Card came out Amex was pretty much a status symbol for the wealthy. These days thanks to Amex Blue being on the market for close to decade, a lot of retailers that previously could afford to say no to Amex have felt the pressure to accommodate the desires of the customers.

Ever so good response.....
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    Former_Frys_geek:

I was one of those "posers" who got a Gold card after 4 yrs w/ the blue student card. Man, I felt all high and mighty until I realized that no one gave a shit if I have an Amex Gold or a CApital One with a 300 limit....plastic is plastic....charge something on it....and get a bill in the mail.....nothing more. When I got the annual fee of 90 bucks in Summer of 06 I said ENOUGH.....canceled and started using my Blue again (never cancel, just put in the closet for 2 yrs. during Gold tenure)and then my Chase Freedom card....and I feel much better. I think we all have the desire to impress after finishing college especially on the dating scene trying to find a wife. Thankfully it was with a $90 a year AMEX and not a 35K car with 550/month payment. I grew up thankfully. Even a customer service rep told me and some independent websites that rate credit cards as well, that the Blue CAsh and Starwood are harder to get than the Green and Gold charge cards!!!!!!!!  

You are right the only AMEX worth a damn in terms of "prestige" is the Platinum card $450/yr or the Black Centurion ($2500/ year). Even now-a-days Amex is giving the Platinum card to anyone with a tenure of 2 or 3 yrs. and willing to cough up the annual fee. I have a friend who has had Blue for 3 years and makes 35K a year. He applied on-line for the platinum card (employer was going to pay the annual fee) and got approved with 35k annual income....GO FIGURE
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    Former_Frys_geek:

Actually most people I see have the Delta gold or Delta platinum (150/yr) or the Starwood card.
  13.  permalink
    Former_Frys_geek:

You must have quit recently since Frys starting taking Amex only a few months ago,
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    So how does it work. I flash my card and it shows I am rich?i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    I could think of better things to flash to show I'm rich.
  14.  permalink
    meinside100:I was one of those "posers" who got a Gold card after 4 yrs w/ the blue student card. Man, I felt all high and mighty until I realized that no one gave a shit if I have an Amex Gold or a CApital One with a 300 limit....plastic is plastic....charge something on it....and get a bill in the mail.....nothing more. When I got the annual fee of 90 bucks in Summer of 06 I said ENOUGH.....canceled and started using my Blue again (never cancel, just put in the closet for 2 yrs. during Gold tenure)and then my Chase Freedom card....and I feel much better. I think we all have the desire to impress after finishing college especially on the dating scene trying to find a wife. Thankfully it was with a $90 a year AMEX and not a 35K car with 550/month payment. I grew up thankfully. Even a customer service rep told me and some independent websites that rate credit cards as well, that the Blue CAsh and Starwood are harder to get than the Green and Gold charge cards!!!!!!!!  

You are right the only AMEX worth a damn in terms of "prestige" is the Platinum card $450/yr or the Black Centurion ($2500/ year). Even now-a-days Amex is giving the Platinum card to anyone with a tenure of 2 or 3 yrs. and willing to cough up the annual fee. I have a friend who has had Blue for 3 years and makes 35K a year. He applied on-line for the platinum card (employer was going to pay the annual fee) and got approved with 35k annual income....GO FIGURE

Amex frequently will waive the annual fee for their low end charge cards like the Green card for the first year to encourage people to try it. I've known a few people who after a year decided that they couldn't see themselves using the added services enough to justify the annual fee. For a lot of young people who don't have a huge amount of disposable income yet(many don't have much left after paying student loan payments and other living expenses) the Green card isn't a worth the cost. 10 years from now when you have paid off all your student loans and own pretty much everything except for your house free and clear Amex's charge cards might be worth it depending upon your lifestyle, but most 20 somethings who aren't a software engineer, pro athlete, or big name actor are just trying to look rich. It is good to see that you were mature enough to see that Amex isn't that special.  

meinside100:Actually most people I see have the Delta gold or Delta platinum (150/yr) or the Starwood card.

I've seen the Delta card, but I have never seen anyone who had the Starwood card. When I worked for Fry's I saw a lot of people who wanted to use the Amex Costco card because we had a Costco down the street. I've seen Amex corporate cards on a business trip I took with a business client, but most people I've known carried some variation of Amex Blue. Considering that Amex Blue was the first credit card that Amex offered I would be surprised if that wasn't the Amex credit card that is in the most hands.  

meinside100:You must have quit recently since Frys starting taking Amex only a few months ago,

According to the Amex press release they announced an agreement in March.  

http://home3.americanexpress.com/corp/pc/2008/frys.asp  

Maybe they made the agreement earlier, but I don't see why Amex would withhold the announcement. It is always good to be able to say that your card is accepted at another 30+ locations. Investors love press releases like that, because it means more profit potential. I actually quit Fry's late last year several months before they started taking Amex. The lady with the Black card was obviously pretty fumed that Fry's didn't take Amex at that point. I lost enough large sales due to Fry's not taking Amex that I didn't see how not taking Amex made financial sense for Fry's.
  15.  permalink
    worm:So how does it work. I flash my card and it shows I am rich?

If you show a Black card it does mean they spend a lot because there is a minimum amount of spending you have to do with them before you can get that card. There are some of the better rewards cards like Citibank's Dividend card that are reject quite a few people, but provided you have a sterling credit record you can get the card without having a huge annual income. Getting a Black card though requires immense spending and it is available by invitation only.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    Former_Frys_geek:

If you show a Black card it does mean they spend a lot because there is a minimum amount of spending you have to do with them before you can get that card. There are some of the better rewards cards like Citibank's Dividend card that are reject quite a few people, but provided you have a sterling credit record you can get the card without having a huge annual income. Getting a Black card though requires immense spending and it is available by invitation only.

Yes, the threshold is now 300k in a year on the Platinum card to get the Black card.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    You can be like me and not worry about credit cards because noone will accept me anymore.. lol oh well.. screw credit anyways. ;):face-devil-grin:I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Former_Frys_geek:

Spending a lot to me just says you're stupid. Why cant you pay in cash if you are 'a spender' or 'wealthy'. I make fun of people like them. What the fuck could you spend 70k a month on anyways?  
    ... Like really... I cant.. possibly think of ANYTHING.  
    I mean, I could buy up a couple ghost towns, mining claims, ... ... But when those run out!?!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Oh and my Saleen S7... But thats only 555k.Superhero!