Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I haven't gotten any hours from Fry's for the last few weeks, and Fry's isn't exactly a "Fortune 50" company at this point, so I feel like sharing my thoughts.  

I got into Fry's in the summer of 2018. I won't say which store, but here are my observations.  

-Interview was ridiculously easy. In hindsight, I was over-prepared.  
    -Management was mostly all right, though they were incredibly incompetent, and also dumber than a box of petrified dog turds. If I were as ugly as my ASM, I'd be in a perpetual bad mood, too.  
    -Training consisted of watching a shitty old video from 2003.  

-Coworkers were admittedly a mixed bag. A few of them were cool, most were aloof and distant. Many of them left too rapidly for me to get a good picture of who they were. Some of the women among them were absolutely gorgeous. Alas, I couldn't win over any of them. (I think it was for the better since workplace flings aren't really a good idea anyway)  

-When I first arrived, the store appeared to be staying afloat. There were regular shipments coming in, merchandisers were keeping the floor tidy, and janitors were chugging along every night to keep the store spotless. Shortly before I stopped getting hours, everything was going to hell. The store had downgraded from selling DIY kits and 3D printers to only As-Seen-on-TV junk and knock-off perfumes. Later, I heard through the grapevine that Fry's had been delinquent on its payments to vendors and thus stopped getting new product.  

-The cafe was a godsend for things like drinks and snacks, but everything else prepared and sold there I wouldn't even feed to my cat.  
    -There was shady stuff going on. Computers were running an illegitimate version of Windows XP for fucks sake. Used merchandise was being sold full-price on shelves without being labeled as such, and management seemed to be encouraging the use of 20% coupons on expensive goods like Macbooks. Apple would flip a bitch if they knew this was going on.  
    -Schedules were sent out a DAY before the week started. This is illegal to do in my state, so I was thinking of contacting the labor board but I ultimately decided against it. Would've been a lot of work for little reward.  
    -For what it was worth, the pay was not that bad if you could sell. Granted I was in the highest-grossing dept. though...  

-Customers mostly sucked ass. They ranged from douchebag wannabe gangsters and adult prom queens to Reagan's-corpse-humping Baby Boomers in their 60s-80s. There were a few cool customers but the rest were dickdribble, by and large. I personally blame the shitty customer base on the city that my store was in. Every customer was either a clueless blubbering moron who was very likely fed from a lead baby bottle at birth, or an entitled cocksucking prick who saw you as a worthless grunt built only to serve. In spite of this, I was recognized for my good customer service.  

-There were a few guys working there that made me feel grateful to have the blessings I do have in life. No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone has it much worse.  

Ask me any other questions and I may answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappy9
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2019
    Running pirated xp on refurbished units. Priceless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2019
    Are you in Cali? I'll file a complaint on the scheduling on your behalf and do my part to ease the company into finally closing.  

I would still go there and swipe in, anyway
  2.  permalink
    I am guessing OP is from CA, but based upon so many stores being in CA that probably wouldn't do much to doxx them. Many people working there that probably couldn't do much better isn't unusual.  

One question I wonder is whether V-Con still existed? How many of those old timers that have worked there for decades are in denial of the imminent death of Fry's versus those whose skills are so limited to fear searching for another job? I imagine some of those trying to make Fry's a life probably have reasons that they would struggle to do better.
  3.  permalink
    Video Conferencing? I haven't heard much about it. I will just say that Randy Fry did an outstanding job of keeping hush-hush about the company's apparent struggles. NOBODY that I asked was able to give me a definite answer about the future of Fry's (or lack thereof). There are some people who have been with the company for decades still holding out. If anything, it'll strengthen their case for unemployment when and if they end up needing it.  

Our computer equipment was miserably outdated. The cashiers used what appeared to be a DOS emulator on Windows XP machines, same for the return desk. The ONLY computer that I saw running Windows 7 was in Service. I have autism myself, but there was a gentleman a good few steps below me on the spectrum working there who made me feel grateful to be where I am. That being said, he was a kind and honest dude. Some of the other employees just didn't seem like they were cut out for the professional world and thus wouldn't have done well in it.  

And Charlie, that is entirely up to you. I don't have the energy to do that myself, but I'll gladly cheer you on if you decide to.  

I will miss Fry's when it finally drifts away into eternity. It will die as a brittle husk of an electronic wonderland that I loved to frequent as a kid. Such is life...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019
    TheOneSperglord:I will miss Fry's when it finally drifts away into eternity. It will die as a brittle husk of an electronic wonderland that I loved to frequent as a kid. Such is life...

Nice of you to say but the Fry's brothers are about to lay off thousands of workers, stiff vendors out of millions of dollars, and absolve themselves of all the judgments they owe to others. They're the epitomy of greedy, soulless corporate slime.
  4.  permalink
    IDK that it was any big secret Fry's was in trouble for years. Little by little they have been cutting back on inventory for years. Top stock vanished then floor stacks. Then rack after rack vanished.  

Maybe Fry's management didn't say that the house was burning down, but it's been transparent to customers for years. I'm struggling to imagine that any employee that has access to slightly more information couldn't see the writing on the wall. When some of the most popular searches for Fry's are whether it is closing it seems many people saw the obvious.  

I'm surprised in some ways more employees hadn't fled years ago. Back in the day you could make good money there. 15 years ago there were sales people making $50k just in commission. Adjusted for inflation the money wasn't bad for retail. I could see some sticking around for a while after the recession in the hopes things would turn around thinking the end of the recession would turn around sales, but at some point you would need to be in deep denial to believe the good days would come back.  
    I'm not surprised that many are individuals who would struggle in a more professional job. Based upon some of the posts here I am surprised that half of the employees didn't apply to another retailer on their lunch hour. At this point one either would have to be in deep denial or not be qualified for almost anything else to not be desperate for anything else. Few retailers are in great shape, but few are in as bad shape as Fry's.
  5.  permalink
    Charlie:
    TheOneSperglord:I will miss Fry's when it finally drifts away into eternity. It will die as a brittle husk of an electronic wonderland that I loved to frequent as a kid. Such is life...

Nice of you to say but the Fry's brothers are about to lay off thousands of workers, stiff vendors out of millions of dollars, and absolve themselves of all the judgments they owe to others. They're the epitomy of greedy, soulless corporate slime.

You really think that there are even a thousand employees left? The couple times I have gone in the store recently I swore that there were maybe half a dozen employees in the entire store. I think the guy was being wistful of what Fry's once was >10 years ago when they were a kid.
  6.  permalink
    let me clarify... I will miss the experience that 14-year-old me had at Fry's. I will NOT miss a bunch of sociopathic corporate sleazebags and their pathetic racket. Thank you for reminding me of the circumstances.  

Part of the reason why I bothered applying to Fry's was because I knew I could earn decent commission there with my sales knowledge. Plus, it was easy work for someone finishing up school.  

I came to appreciate how dead the store always was, and how little of a shit management seemed to give about how you did your job. It was the perfect place for a lonely hands-off person like me to work at... though I am going to up the ante for the more demanding professional world.  

PS... if you folks are neurotypical (which means you were born without autism), be very grateful. You have absolutely no idea how lucky you are to have all of your abilities intact. This shit has been hell for the last two decades and counting of my life.  

"All your shelves are empty!" -Fry's Customer, 2018  

I wonder if the brothers Fry will ever get their comeuppance. Probably never.