Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorValve2000
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2019
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Weezer - Pork and Beans (NEW video featuring 24 most popular YouTube videos)
    New Video of the Phoenix store
    I hear that Randy Fry is visiting all of the stores....
    Fry's announces to the press that it is closing all of it's stores!
    Is Computer Sales the stinky butthole of all stores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorironj01
    Throes of death!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    They should just ship the remaining products to a profitable store and shut it down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    Went to my local Fry's today and yep, it's a sinking ship and the employees have no illusions. Some said they're waiting to get through another CES, some said Black Friday, some said any day now. Nobody knows.  

Feel bad for all the poor schmucks who worked at Fry's for 20+ years and have nothing to show for it except minimum wage, no pension and no marketable labor skills. They could have worked at any labor union and been retiring early. Instead, they'll be hired as cashiers at Walmart.
  2.  permalink
    Charlie: Went to my local Fry's today and yep, it's a sinking ship and the employees have no illusions. Some said they're waiting to get through another CES, some said Black Friday, some said any day now. Nobody knows.  

Feel bad for all the poor schmucks who worked at Fry's for 20+ years and have nothing to show for it except minimum wage, no pension and no marketable labor skills. They could have worked at any labor union and been retiring early. Instead, they'll be hired as cashiers at Walmart.

Some of the better ones might find a job elsewhere in retail. I know that when CompUSA closed that my local Microcenter hired a couple people from CompUSA. With the general retail climate a lot worse and most of the best people Fry's ever employed long gone I imagine that there are few if any people worth hiring though so while a couple of the people might try applying at their local Best Buy I wager many won't find much interest.
  3.  permalink
    Watching the video I agreed with many of his criticisms. I don't think Fry's had much to do with RadioShack failing as there were many RadioShacks in markets where there weren't Fry's, but I think that RadioShack's failure may be for somewhat similar causes to Fry's. Both chains often employed pushy salespeople that turned off many customers. Both chains were slow to evolve to a changing market. Fry's had far better selection than RadioShack, but they suffered from in many cases the opposite problem of stores that were too big with too much selection making it time consuming to find a specific item. I can remember when I worked there you could find a USB cable on no fewer 4 different aisles spread across 4 different departments. If you came into the store to find an ad item you might go on a goose chase to find the item. That's even before considering how often aisles were a mess with items not in their right places even when the store opened to say nothing of hours later. While RadioShack was clearly too small Fry's veered into the too big category. If retail electronics were the three bears I think Best Buy was the bear that picked the right store size that was big enough to cover the basics, but not so big that they were struggling to find product customers wanted with all the excess floor space.  

For young people in the 90s and 00s that had tons of free time to get the deals Fry's worked well, but that era is gone. In addition, many significant segments of their floor space was targetted to dying product segments that might fulfill our nostalgia, but don't sell enough to justify much retail space or at the very least are better handled by targetted retailers. IDK why there are still any DVDs on the shelf this deep into the post-Netflix era? Fry's should have seen the failure of Blockbuster years ago as a reason to clear out that space years ago. Fry's was also still carried CDs well after iTunes started wiping out CD sales. After shrink and merchandising were considered I would be surprised if Fry's turned a profit in that category in years. I think the thought process was that the selection brought in people to buy more profitable items, but I think that was flawed thinking.  

While there is some resurgence in the maker movement in general interest in individual electronic components faded away years ago. I don't see how many ICs that Fry's kept in stock had any significant relevance in staying in business. You can buy every imaginable resistor, capacitor, etc. from Digikey or Mouser for a fraction of the price without hunting through racks. There is so rarely a situation that you need those yesterday that it is hard to justify selling in retail. If you are near a Granger you could buy virtually every type of cable that Fry's probably ever sold without needing to hunt through aisles of unrelated items. Trying to be so many things to so many people they ended up not doing anything very well and spreading themselves so thin that they couldn't keep critical inventory in stock. Even 10 years ago I joked Fry's had everything except exactly what you came in for. Back in the day there would usually be something similar, but now even that isn't the case anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorironj01
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2019
    He does have an updated video of Vegas store...I know that used to be the number one store for awhile  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQRwwi6rw8
  4.  permalink
    Frys is now selling returned from vendor merchandise. Smh.
  5.  permalink
    Disappointed: Frys is now selling returned from vendor merchandise. Smh.

Fry's selling RTV stuff? What else is new?
    •  
      CommentAuthorironj01
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2019
    Retail archeology with an update...sad.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bEcgJRShw
  6.  permalink
    Thanks for sharing this information with us. Get Your LED LCD TV Repair & Service by Certified Experts. TV Repair Dubai provide customer support With a 100% guarantee of quality solutions. The following are the perks that you can have with us. Instant support as per your requirement, Guidance of highly expert technicians, Reasonable Service charges, Assured problem solutions.
  7.  permalink
    I was at Fremont Fry's yesterday. They removed lots of shelves in the middle. Elsewhere, shelves are almost empty, way worse than what this youtube shows.