Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2019
    Just spoke to a components clerk and he said that Fry's got three Nvidia XFX cards and they were sold out quick. Maybe Fry's really is reorganizing their stores and will be back on it's feet soon?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Cards
    Does Fry's follow up on feedback cards?
    frys cards
    Why do some employees get fired for fake Frys cards and others just get a verbal warning?
    Interviewed at Fry's three times, took drug test...
  2.  permalink
    They must have paid XFX this month.
  3.  permalink
    Unless they were crazy high end cards I doubt that paid for more than a shift or two of that employees wages. I know at my local location they had a couple video cards, but the sign basically said you couldn't return them unless defective. With such non-existent return policy I just can't see taking a chance on buying a video card from there. Needless to say I was probably hardly the one potential customer that probably wouldn't bother. Fry's used to have great return policies, but now they are a joke. They probably couldn't have afforded to be as lenient as they were back in the day, but I think that there was a compromise from basically getting rid of any allowed returns entirely on huge parts of the store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTime2 days ago
    Former_Frys_geek: Unless they were crazy high end cards I doubt that paid for more than a shift or two of that employees wages. I know at my local location they had a couple video cards, but the sign basically said you couldn't return them unless defective. With such non-existent return policy I just can't see taking a chance on buying a video card from there. Needless to say I was probably hardly the one potential customer that probably wouldn't bother. Fry's used to have great return policies, but now they are a joke. They probably couldn't have afforded to be as lenient as they were back in the day, but I think that there was a compromise from basically getting rid of any allowed returns entirely on huge parts of the store.

It's because d-bags were buying them to mine Bitcoin, overclocking the shit out of them, and returning them when they fried. So there's a good reason for this.
  4.  permalink
    Charlie:
    Former_Frys_geek: Unless they were crazy high end cards I doubt that paid for more than a shift or two of that employees wages. I know at my local location they had a couple video cards, but the sign basically said you couldn't return them unless defective. With such non-existent return policy I just can't see taking a chance on buying a video card from there. Needless to say I was probably hardly the one potential customer that probably wouldn't bother. Fry's used to have great return policies, but now they are a joke. They probably couldn't have afforded to be as lenient as they were back in the day, but I think that there was a compromise from basically getting rid of any allowed returns entirely on huge parts of the store.

It's because d-bags were buying them to mine Bitcoin, overclocking the shit out of them, and returning them when they fried. So there's a good reason for this.

Really? I'm not so sure as there are a lot of reasons I'm skeptical that your theory makes much sense. First, unless you were getting free or incredibly cheap energy Bitcoin mining hasn't been economically viable outside of dedicated ASICs for a few years now. I know that many sellers of dedicated ASIC miners often had no returns unless DOA, but I don't recall seeing those at Fry's. Another thing is how is my local Microcenter doing just fine without such a non-existent return policy for video cards? Unless my local Microcenter somehow has D-bag repellent surrounding the entrance how are they doing fine without basically axing any return privileges on video cards? I returned a video card to my local Microcenter earlier this year and it doesn't look like they are struggling that much. Every time I go there I see plenty of people not only in the store, but actually buying things unlike Fry's where most people look like they are wandering a haunted house or paying their final respects to a store that they once enjoyed. Fry's gutting their return policies likely scared away the dbags, but it also scared away a lot of legit customers that want to be able to return something if they change their mind on what they wanted. Best Buy a number of years ago made their return policy more like Fry's policy was ~15 years ago and last I checked they're profitable while Fry's is teetering on collapse. While I wouldn't suggest every move that Best Buy has made in the last 10 years has been been the best as Best Buy has had a few missteps (e.g. a failed UK launch, some overexpansion in some US markets, etc.) keeping a reasonable return policy hasn't stopped them from being a viable retailer. While I wouldn't suggest that gutting their return policies was Fry's only mistake I think that there is a ample evidence to suggest that Fry's gutting their return policy likely a bad move. If other retailers could make it work why can't Fry's? It honestly sounds more like an excuse to justify all of Fry's other management mistakes in buying products.