Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorValve2000
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2019 edited
    So news today is people from store 38 went to work today to see a padlocked front door. There was a note to report to the other sister store. No warning at all not even the store manager knew.  

They even took the store off Fry's.com  
    https://www.frys.com/ac/storeinfo/storelocator/?site=csfooter_B

Screenshot_20191203-160754_Google.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2019
    What a bunch of assholes. I told you guys to organize a labor union long ago. They at least would have had to give you notice, if not severance pay.  

There's capitalism for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2019
    In the meantime, file a claim:  

https://dol.georgia.gov/unemployment-benefits
  1.  permalink
    Charlie: What a bunch of assholes. I told you guys to organize a labor union long ago. They at least would have had to give you notice, if not severance pay.  

There's capitalism for you.

I worked at a Fry's that tried to unionize back in the 00s. They fired the guy organizing it and Randy Fry himself came to the store personally to inspire fear in potential organizers and or try to reassure people that he knew what was "best" for people. I think that you underestimate how much Fry's actively tried to prevent unions. Having talked with someone who worked for both unionized and non-unionzed Costco stores my understanding was beyond more favorable dismissal process in some aspects the non-union stores were actually better. Even had a Fry's store unionized unless they managed to force Fry's management to hire more competent buyers it wouldn't have made a shred of difference. Fry's isn't failing because they fired too many employees on a whim. They're primarily failing because corporate didn't know how to buy products worth selling. Most of the problems with Fry's are outside the range of what a typical union contract would address.  

None of Fry's main competitors are unionized either so I'm not convinced that would have made much difference. You're right though that the union contract likely would have at least included some notice on a mass layoff or store closure and maybe even some meager severance, but you really didn't need an MBA or access to Fry's financials to know that the company has been going downhill. Anybody who has been working at Fry's in the last couple years either is an old timer with Stockholm syndrome and is afraid of leaving before they are laid off or doesn't really care about whether their job pays well or has much future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2019
    LOL did he meet with the "organizer" and have a meaningful conversation? I wonder how much time Randy spent with the guy and what they discussed. No wonder he was fired the next day.  

It would have made a world of difference and may have either led to Fry's shutting down sooner or could have saved the company. After all, happy workers make happy customers.
  2.  permalink
    Charlie: LOL did he meet with the "organizer" and have a meaningful conversation? I wonder how much time Randy spent with the guy and what they discussed. No wonder he was fired the next day.  

It would have made a world of difference and may have either led to Fry's shutting down sooner or could have saved the company. After all, happy workers make happy customers.

I didn't personally see the encounter, but I seriously doubtful Randy made any effort to hear the concerns. I remember my brief encounter with Randy, but I don't remember Randy asking me about any of my concerns about the direction of the company. My point was more that I seriously doubt that Randy would have treated reports of union organizing any differently at a different store. If you think that Randy wouldn't have crushed union organizing elsewhere I think that you are kidding yourself.  

Honestly, I'm actually surprised in some ways that Fry's has made it as far as it has. I actually predicted in 2007 that I wouldn't be surprised if Fry's went under in 10 years. They've made it further than that by 2 years, but with how much the stores look like they're shutting down I will be surprised if there are any Fry's stores at the end of next year. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they had closed or nearly closed all the locations by the end of Q1 next year. I don't think the lack of union had much relevance to their failure. Neither Best Buy nor MicroCenter have one and both are doing much better than Fry's. Outside of some grocery stores and some Costco stores there really aren't that many unionized retail stores. Randy Fry just was really good at hiring stupid people from the lowest cashier up through corporate. Even if stupid people are happy they're still stupid and make mistakes that alienate customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2019
    I know what you mean. Then what made the store so successful all those years is what I'm left wondering. You clearly don't need to have the following to be successful in today's industry, just based on the crap at Fry's:  

*Adequate customer service.  
    *A quality product.  
    *Good selection.  
    *Theme-based stores.  
    *Good trust with your vendors.  

I guess low prices were what kept them open until now.