Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Is-Fry-s-Electronics-in-trouble-Company-denies-14945559.php  

"Fry’s has adamantly denied the rumors, saying the shelves are empty because it has shifted to a consignment model, meaning that suppliers get paid for goods only after a store has sold them. It said on Twitter it’s not going out of business, explaining that the shift to consignment takes time and that 245 vendors have agreed to the new terms. The company did not respond to requests for comment."
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    can someone tell me why frys ad stuff is so cheap, are they losing money on ad items?
    Can posting on this site get you fired? Can whoever made this site get in trouble?
    Lots of empty shelves
    Married within company
    Great Place To Find RipOff Information and Disputes about a Company
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2020
    It might be legit. But lets see what happens after CES.
    •  
      CommentAuthormf2018
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2020
    Frys seems to have a culture problem, like "learned helplessness." I've never worked there, but as a longtime customer of the Tempe AZ store, I've seen it for a decade. There seems to be a gulf between management and employee. It's like the british "upstairs, downstairs" period shows (the hoi polloi who are above it all, and the peasant servants).  

It seems like an oppressive environment. Instead of exciting and fun, managers motivating employees, it seems like managers who never engage (and employees just putting in their time).  

It seems like the company leadership has surrounded itself with "yes men," and is incapable of thinking "outside the box." (They'd probably say this consignment idea is "outside the box." But, to me it sounds like the same mediocrity that I've seen the past decade.  

I remember when the Tempe store opened. It was an exciting place to be. People would go there during their lunch break (from nearby office areas). Now it's like the post office or prison visiting room. That's management (from the top down), not a changing marketplace. They could move the cafeteria upstairs, open the balcony for outdoor seating. Create an exciting vibe where nearby office workers would want to go there for lunch (and perhaps spend money). But, instead, it's like everyone there (including the store manager) is just putting in their time.  

Just look at how many companies have employee-started forums (such as this one). Fry's food (same origins as Fry's electronics) doesn't. Even Pennys & Sears don't. That's what has stood out to me these years. The company's top leadership seems *impervious* to warning signs. It's like they think if they just keep doing what they've always done, something will change. (That's the definition of insanity.).  

It's sad to watch such a vibrant, compelling store fail due to a lack of caring from the top. They miss so many opportunities to see the light, do something different. For example, I just unsubscribed from the "deals" daily/weekly newsletter. I was thinking the unsubscribe process would ask *why*. But, it didn't. That's sooo typical of the Fry's culture. They're surrounded with opportunities for valuable contact/feedback. But, they don't care. They're either so uninspired that they don't even think about it. Or, they just don't care (putting in their time).  

About 3 years ago I gave store feedback. It took 2 weeks before anyone contacted me. The person who contacted me was just a sales associate at the Tempe store. It had been delegated to him to follow up. It apparently took 2 weeks of "flowing downhill." He couldn't answer questions. He was just going through the motions (like everyone else). It would take 3-5 days for him to reply (in a manner that didn't really address my concerns or questions). I asked why a manager hadn't responded to my feedback. I never heard back from him or anyone else.  

But, getting back to Fry's uncanny ability to miss opportunities, there was no case-following (customer relation management). No survey asking how my recent experience was.  

That's been the common theme for years. Nobody wants to know anything. It starts at the *top*. The top doesn't seem to expect anything from its immediate leadership team (who likewise don't expect anything from its teams, and so on down the line).  

Take this new consignment idea. It would be a *blessing* to Frys if they gave every consignee a share of the business and sought their feedback/involvmenet in making Frys more successful. But, I'm sure nobody's thinking in those terms. They have an opportunity to team with people who have thriving, successful businesses. I'm sure Fry's will ignore that opportunity and expect them to go along with the uninsipred leadership who has brought Frys to this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorironj01
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2020
    MF couldn't have said it better and I worked there. Was a definite "yes" culture there and that came from the top down. Smartest guys in the room mentality. I've mentioned this before, dinosaurs, brick and mortar retail has moved on from just having the inventory and a decent price.