Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2007
    I mean for customers to access or only private for employees to use? San Diego fry's constantly has all these people coming in to just use the internet like were some sort of wi-fi free zone.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthordubloe7
    the only website the terminals in the store can go to is frys.com, and there is no wifi (i wish) for public or employee use.  
    there is a single computer in the store (excluding manager, assistant manager) that has internet access, and you need permission to use it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    To my knowledges, store 28 does NOT have WiFi. It be nice to have and yes we would get free loaders, but think about all the other customers that will buy something.  

There is one computer at our store by service area that has most sites UNBLOCKED. It is always on and ready. I got in trouble by using it for Paypal once. ><
    •  
      CommentAuthorcalculon
    Store #22 has no public outside internet access.  

All people would use it for anyways is coming in, screwing up the demo computers, then going online to find the lowest price and buy it there. Idiots.
  1.  permalink
    our store has Earthlink endcap with earthlinks "dsl plans", two computers are set up for customer use. but we have most sites blocked, with the help of earthlink reps. only manufaturers websites are accessible, frys.com too of course. we have wi-fi. but thats blocked from public use. only those with the net keys go on. *me* hahaha.  

*store 9*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2007
    @God father. Do they give all the associates the keys?
  2.  permalink
    no... i know the service manager and he gave me the key. but only the manager and the service associates are supposed to have them. it helps stop the congestion from outside computers, like people that come into our cafe to try and get free wi-fi. were not starbucks. haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2007 edited
    If i cant test the wifi im not buying the computer. Good thing though is the frys i got to has free wifi. The worst thing about best buy though is they don't even let you use the computer.  

Frys suck some times with the hand held devices most of them dont work, and i dont care about th e stupid return policy that lets me try and return items, its a waste of time and gas money.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2007
    "If i cant test the wifi im not buying the computer."  

...That's like saying you won't buy the car if you can't look inside the glove compartment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    Thats like saying I wont buy the car if I cant get a test drive. Come on sass!i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    The wifi is so inconsequential. You have no measure of how wifi should preform at your given location so why bother to test?
  3.  permalink
    I work at the San Diego Fry's and we have a demo desktop with clear internet. The laptops also occasionally work. Also, the registers can access more than just frys.com. They can also access 411.com verizonwireless.com and sprint.com. I am sure there are more.
  4.  permalink
    The two PC's at the Earthlink demo are usually allow Internet access.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2007 edited
    thegodfather0ne:our store has Earthlink endcap with earthlinks "dsl plans", two computers are set up for customer use. but we have most sites blocked, with the help of earthlink reps. only manufaturers websites are accessible, frys.com too of course. we have wi-fi. but thats blocked from public use. only those with the net keys go on. *me* hahaha.  

*store 9*
    We have that endcap too, but we got ride of those computers a long time ago. We recently set up a pc with unlocked access under admin rights though. When a customer wants to use it, it's switched to a customer account. During closing people go to their MySpaces and listen to their crappy music. (crappy to me anyways.) :face-crying:I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2007
    Punkzilla:
    thegodfather0ne:our store has Earthlink endcap with earthlinks "dsl plans", two computers are set up for customer use. but we have most sites blocked, with the help of earthlink reps. only manufaturers websites are accessible, frys.com too of course. we have wi-fi. but thats blocked from public use. only those with the net keys go on. *me* hahaha.  

*store 9*
    We have that endcap too, but we got ride of those computers a long time ago. We recently set up a pc with unlocked access under admin rights though. When a customer wants to use it, it's switched to a customer account. During closing people go to their MySpaces and listen to their crappy music. (crappy to me anyways.) :face-crying:

I bet it's rap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2007
    The music I listen to? Nope. I hate rap. They play rap and some other crap.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2007
    To be politically correct. Its not public internet, it's "courtesy internet".. according to one customer.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    no public internet access in anaheim.. would see too many people coming into the store to check out the demo then check the prices online, go home and then order them online..yeah perhaps that is why.. I've had a few customers do that to me before.. ask to see an item.. ask questions about it.. and when you ask if they want onee.. it's no.. I'm going to buy this online later..I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgcaste
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I think it's funny that no one ever says that they're one of the managers. Sounds like blind zealotry to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I think we should internet in the stores. Not only internet but faster, higher speed internet with caching proxy servers to help. 99% of our users use computers to go online. It would be nice to see exactly how fast the machine performs on the internet. Maybe we can block certain vendor or competitor sites.
  5.  permalink
    asdf:I think we should internet in the stores. Not only internet but faster, higher speed internet with caching proxy servers to help. 99% of our users use computers to go online. It would be nice to see exactly how fast the machine performs on the internet. Maybe we can block certain vendor or competitor sites.

bad bad idea, Concord has free wireless internet in the whole city and we have the worst of the worst emo kids, homeless people, wiggers, etc...coming in to use our wireless internet to go on myspace while we are trying to sell the computer they are gone, half the time we have to tell them to get the fuck off the computer so we can show it to someone else, no how appetizing does it seem to buy a computer that some homeless guy was just using?
  6.  permalink
    That sounds like the coolest store ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    I can say the store is best when there isn't internet access. Employees and customers are not using the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    asdf:I can say the store is best when there isn't internet access. Employees and customers are not using the internet.

I like trying the internet when Im buying crap, but I settle myself with opening as many programs as the computer comes with and typing messages to other shoppers in notepad to test the capability of the computer.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2008
    i don't think any fry's store have the program to have wireless internet. this is because they don't want to do price matches haha.the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round
    •  
      CommentAuthoryourmom
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008 edited
    fuck costumers always expect us to have internet access to evrything we do just not for them its called the red carpet for our store
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Damn costumers. Always dressing up as something they're not...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    This is a very old thread.Superhero!
  7.  permalink
    One time we had a test router hooked up to a hub in our store to test customer's lan ports and wireless connections. Well according to home office, that lone router shut the entire's store system down! YIKES!
  8.  permalink
    Sasquatch: The wifi is so inconsequential. You have no measure of how wifi should preform at your given location so why bother to test?

Excellent point. Anybody who understands wifi at all realizes that it depends a lot upon outside factors that change. You also have to remember that the buyer may have a different router that has less range than the new router in the store, so I wouldn't find demoing the wifi terribly useful.  

A lot of people don't seem to comprehend that the computer has almost nothing to do with the speed of the internet. I used to tell people if the only thing that matters to you is how fast the internet is, go buy the fastest internet connection that you can buy. I knew that if I lied and sold them some expensive computer and hooked it up to their $15/mo DSL connection and they whined that the internet didn't get faster they would simply return the thing and we would have more open box stuff to sell.  

Not setting up wifi stops people from using the computers just to leech free internet access. Less wear and tear on the demos. Customers less likely to download the latest spyware on the demo forcing Fry's to reload the OS again. All things considered I see a lot of downsides and very few upsides to having internet on any of the demos. Having some internet access on the employee terminals though, I think that is critical. Trying to get time on a terminal that had internet access wasted so much time that I became very frustrated working at Fry's because there were a lot of question I knew that I could answer with a few minutes online that I simply couldn't answer or it took far too long. I lost more than a few customers this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    Computers use more memory under heavy stress and can run slower internet browsers and games even if the internet is blazing fast. So actually, having a better computer helps. Tons.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Wear and tear from browsing the net? Vista wear and tears the machines more than the customers do.  

I think stores to best with out internet. Customers are dumb they judge speed by internet connection.  

If the stores demos have faster internet than at home they will think something is wrong with their new PC and return it.  
    If the stores demos have slower internet than at home they will think their own computer is faster and not make a purchase.  
    Also to make matters worst. XP feels snapper and runs faster than Vista. Push for the PC fastest in the store. And remember 98% of your customers think internet starts with an 'e'...
  9.  permalink
    AyaHu: Computers use more memory under heavy stress and can run slower internet browsers and games even if the internet is blazing fast. So actually, having a better computer helps. Tons.

Certain complex pages will render noticeably faster on a faster computer, but even with modern internet connections it tends to take far more time to download the page then it does to render the page. You can feel the speed of the computer with how quickly it takes to go through cached pages where you are merely seeing how quickly it takes to render the page, but generally speaking except for dramatically underpowered machines (eg. Celerons) I doubt you could tell the difference between two machines in a double blind test using the same connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    Former_Frys_geek:
    AyaHu: Computers use more memory under heavy stress and can run slower internet browsers and games even if the internet is blazing fast. So actually, having a better computer helps. Tons.

Certain complex pages will render noticeably faster on a faster computer, but even with modern internet connections it tends to take far more time to download the page then it does to render the page. You can feel the speed of the computer with how quickly it takes to go through cached pages where you are merely seeing how quickly it takes to render the page, but generally speaking except for dramatically underpowered machines (eg. Celerons) I doubt you could tell the difference between two machines in a double blind test using the same connection.

Even coming here while having photoshop, flash and dreamweaver open is like trekking up the himilayas in speed because my computer not high performance. And when I close photoshop? It leaves lasting effects, the page will be done downloading, but not done loading in firefox on my computer. Games are especially bad, try opening guild wars on this and my old HP it withers, the connections fine, Im really going very fast across the map, but my computer cant keep up. I have two desktop vaios, one laptop vaio, one lap and one dektop compaq, one lap and one desktop HP, I know how fast the internet SHOULD go, but this little thing (A year old compaq presario) will go slower than the earth if I so much as consider opening photoshop on it. Especially aftera year of use, your computers performance will affect the speed you download page.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Or rather not DOWNLOAD the page, display the page. The download is blazing fast, it just takes forever to load.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    You're a nerd, you should be building your own computer. For shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Sasquatch: You're a nerd, you should be building your own computer. For shame.

A. Im too lazy  
    B. Im too busy  
    C. Im too lazy  

If I wanted a blazing fast computer Id have someone build it for me, I dont have time to look for parts. But I dont do massive gaming, so I havent seen a need.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    AyaHu:

A. Im too lazy  
    B. Im too busy  
    C. Im too lazy  

If I wanted a blazing fast computer Id have someone build it for me, I dont have time to look for parts. But I dont do massive gaming, so I havent seen a need.

Sorry, had to take ya down a couple. :-P
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    You're not including how hot I am in those pegs. This isnt fair.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    The peg board is never wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    AyaHu:

A. Im too lazy  
    B. Im too busy  
    C. Im too lazy  

If I wanted a blazing fast computer Id have someone build it for me, I dont have time to look for parts. But I dont do massive gaming, so I havent seen a need.

It's always cheaper to buy prebuilt. and you end up with a faster computer.  

I am not like Sasquatch asking you to build your own car from scratch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    I know close to nothing about cars. Like em though. If you're planning on spending more than six hundred on a computer, I would build. The OS you can get for free, either a flavor of Linux, or a questionably legal copy of Windows. Monitor not included. Generally, the more you are planning to spend on a computer, the more you save building it yourself. Not to mention you get better parts, don't have to deal with proprietary bullshit, and is so much easier to upgrade. Don't forget overclocking. Of course, your mileage may vary. Ooh, and no bull crap software pre-installed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008 edited
    To make matters worst I recommend people to buy the retail box of Windows. I never mention the oem or Linux. If you do intend to build on your own buy parts on sale and over time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    asdf:
    AyaHu:

A. Im too lazy  
    B. Im too busy  
    C. Im too lazy  

It's always cheaper to buy prebuilt. and you end up with a faster computer.  

I am not like Sasquatch asking you to build your own car from scratch.

Asdf- Thanks for your support.  

Sasquatch: I know close to nothing about cars. Like em though. If you're planning on spending more than six hundred on a computer, I would build. The OS you can get for free, either a flavor of Linux, or a questionably legal copy of Windows. Monitor not included. Generally, the more you are planning to spend on a computer, the more you save building it yourself. Not to mention you get better parts, don't have to deal with proprietary bullshit, and is so much easier to upgrade. Don't forget overclocking. Of course, your mileage may vary. Ooh, and no bull crap software pre-installed.

Unless its a really great tablet pc or the mini vaio I wouldnt spend over 600 on a comp. I somehow ended up with a brand new Sony Vaio my twin's boss upgraded from when he found out it wasnt 'large' enough for him. He isn't tech saavy and just handed it over, there weren't even programs on it. Besides that, I shop the sale section to find great computers for low prices.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Sonys are sexy. I want an SZ when they release the new models with the Montevina chipset.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: Sonys are sexy. I want an SZ when they release the new models with the Montevina chipset.

Can you build me a nice Sony for real cheap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Sure, if it's a desktop and we call it a Sany.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Soyo = Sony and Sanyo mash up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Spork = Spoon and Fork. Unparalleled genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch: Spork = Spoon and Fork. Unparalleled genius.

Spoons and forks should be obsolete.