Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    Lets put our thoughts together on how we can make Fry's a better place to work or shop so post your ideas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    I really think everything needs to start with un-corrupt management who has no favor ism and allow seniority at work. Employees deserve better pay and benefits since they are doing all the work to bring in the billions of dollars to Fry's. Hire a overnight crew and train employees properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    greencard:I really think everything needs to start with un-corrupt management who has no favor ism and allow seniority at work. Employees deserve better pay and benefits since they are doing all the work to bring in the billions of dollars to Fry's. Hire a overnight crew and train employees properly.

Here at the Georgia stores unless you are a White or Asian girl that has no morals when it comes to your respective body, you will have too work twice as hard as everyone else just to have a shot in hell of becoming MT. Not to mention all the DMs will fire anyone, even for made up reasons, in order to save thier butts even when the person is a hard worker. You can tell when this happens....the DM will tell you did something wrong.........YET......THEY CAN'T GIVE YOU A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    greencard:I really think everything needs to start with un-corrupt management who has no favor ism and allow sonority at work. Employees deserve better pay and benefits since they are doing all the work to bring in the billions of dollars to Fry's. Hire a overnight crew and train employees properly.

Get rid of commissions and just pay everyone a double-digit hourly wage. Instead of working as individuals we should work at team.  

Commission/Per piece jobs= Modern day slavery.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    greencard:I really think everything needs to start with un-corrupt management who has no favor ism and allow seniority at work. Employees deserve better pay and benefits since they are doing all the work to bring in the billions of dollars to Fry's. Hire a overnight crew and train employees properly.

Sorry, but the greedy kids that run Fry's wouldn't be interested in these ideas along with mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    meinside100:  
    Get rid of commissions and just pay everyone a double-digit hourly wage. Instead of working as individuals we should work at team.  

Commission/Per piece jobs= Modern day slavery.

They keep lowering commissions, increasing competition by adding new sales people, and now you have to do more to make the same amount!i am a worm.
  1.  permalink
    I didn't work at Fry's long, but I found the commission system shady. Some customers didn't want to give you their personal info (who can blame them), so you'd get no credit for the sale. If nothing has changed since then, that money goes right into the owners' pockets. Shitty, in my opinion.  

If that hasn't changed since I worked there, I think all that money should go into a pool and get shared by everyone at the store.  

As a side note, as a customer, I always used to give the name Joey Buddafucco and my phone number as 555-1212 for quotes. Nobody ever questioned me or laughed. Weird.
  2.  permalink
    notparistexas:I didn't work at Fry's long, but I found the commission system shady. Some customers didn't want to give you their personal info (who can blame them), so you'd get no credit for the sale. If nothing has changed since then, that money goes right into the owners' pockets. Shitty, in my opinion.  

If that hasn't changed since I worked there, I think all that money should go into a pool and get shared by everyone at the store.  

As a side note, as a customer, I always used to give the name Joey Buddafucco and my phone number as 555-1212 for quotes. Nobody ever questioned me or laughed. Weird.

In our store if a customer doesn't want to give their personal info for a quote we just use the store's info instead.
  3.  permalink
    yeah just use the stores info instead. as long as you get credit for iti love it when they call me big papa
  4.  permalink
    Use computers and equipment that are from the 1980's.
  5.  permalink
    SDCherryPicker:Use computers and equipment that are from the 1980's.

LOL :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    SDCherryPicker:Use computers and equipment that are from the 1980's.

Come on we should be using mainframes for POS machines.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMaxPowers87
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    It isn't hard to fix the issues. We need knowledgeable staff, not an endless stream of new hires every day of the year. We need to streamline customer service and throw away this hierarchy mess that fails completely because of one hang up. We need to place less strain on the individual and focus on team cooperation.. There is always a lack of communication because of these isolated teams or individuals. Then there are small things that bother me.. Like a supervisor that is putting so much emphasis on completely arbitrary tasks at the cost of real work. (helping customers) I feel that upper management has lost their "sense of urgency" when I present them with real problems. An example: A woman wanted to get a discount on a book that was clearly damaged and the PLU was a dollar off anyway, I notified a supervisor.. who looked at the item and told me to go to the person in charge. I did this, the PIC was busy.. understandable. But he was not at all concerned with my needs, looked at me and continued meandering between the service department and returns, doing SOMETHING.. but at the same time leaving me stranded for what felt like forever.. finally I decided this wasn't worth it so I made my way back to customer service where we corrected the price and allowed the customers to leave. I hate being in limbo when we have customers waiting around, it sucks. And yes, we also need to update our infrastructure. The computers and the network its running on are struggling day to day. No one cares or bothers to address it, as long as we can still take peoples money. I KNOW the big guys are aware of the problems within their stores, but they won't give a shit until customers stop coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    I TOLD YOU NOT TO NECRO THREADS!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    The other day it took me exactly 53 seconds to add a customer. Ridiculous. In that time I could have written three or four more quotes for people that were ready, ad in hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    This thread isn't that old AyaHu. Only 2 months old. Nothing like the other threads that were 1yr or so old.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    A dead thread is a dead thread!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I <3 dead threadz
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch

Anyone? Anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Dude, I miss my Magic the Gathering Days. Im feeling so nostalgic lately on this board.Superhero!
  6.  permalink
    I don't know about making Fry's better for employees(I stop working at Fry's >6months ago), but I can think of a couple of ways that they could make it better for customers.  

For starters they really ought to centralize products better. For example, there are two different places that notebook batteries were located (one in Computers and one in components). Computers and components constantly seemed to be competing for customers. Because Fry's often didn't pay you for selling stuff from other departments it was in your best interests to keep your lip zipped about a competing product in another department. As on manager once said we aren't computers or components we are Fry's. Fry's should try to have all the items that seem to be divided between departments and move them all into one department or the other.  

Improve financing offers would also be a boon for customers. Fry's has good selection, but even when I worked at Fry's what was eligible for financing and what wasn't didn't have any rhyme or reason. Beyond the fact that virtually all Fujitsu notebooks were eligible for financing almost nothing else made sense.  

Also I think that Fry's needs to firesale some older stuff. I saw some books in software for software that hasn't been sold in years. Sell it for a buck and if you can't sell it at that price just put it on ebay. Somebody will take it off their hands. I don't think Fry's should cut the price in half on a computer merely because it is a demo like some customers think, but some of the discontinued products simply take up space.  

One other idea would be to move to the sticker concept for commissions like Microcenter. Instead of writing quotes you just sticker the item and the cashier scans the item. Obviously there is still potential for salespeople to lose commissions, but it is FAR less time consuming. Also Fry's should have some type of pool commission to recognize that selling something isn't always just due to the salesperson walking the customer to the item, but it is also due to the presentation of the demos and merchandising of products. A lot of salespeople didn't give a damn about fixing signs because it often took more time to fix them than it was worth in lost sales.  

Other than that I think Fry's has improved dramatically in the last 2-3 years now that they have gift cards, and accept Amex and debit cards. The reliability of their computers while still spotty has improved quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Hey, we were on a different subject there.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCSA
    At Da San Diego Store To Make It Better For Us To Work Fired All Them Old Azz Ladies In Custmor Service
  7.  permalink
    CSA: At Da San Diego Store To Make It Better For Us To Work Fired All Them Old Azz Ladies In Custmor Service

I'm sorry. But I only understand english.
  8.  permalink
    AyaHu: Dude, I miss my Magic the Gathering Days. Im feeling so nostalgic lately on this board.

yugioh  

yyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhi love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    That show was entertaining for a brief amount of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    MaxPowers87: It isn't hard to fix the issues. We need knowledgeable staff, not an endless stream of new hires every day of the year. We need to streamline customer service and throw away this hierarchy mess that fails completely because of one hang up. We need to place less strain on the individual and focus on team cooperation.. There is always a lack of communication because of these isolated teams or individuals. Then there are small things that bother me.. Like a supervisor that is putting so much emphasis on completely arbitrary tasks at the cost of real work. (helping customers) I feel that upper management has lost their "sense of urgency" when I present them with real problems. An example: A woman wanted to get a discount on a book that was clearly damaged and the PLU was a dollar off anyway, I notified a supervisor.. who looked at the item and told me to go to the person in charge. I did this, the PIC was busy.. understandable. But he was not at all concerned with my needs, looked at me and continued meandering between the service department and returns, doing SOMETHING.. but at the same time leaving me stranded for what felt like forever.. finally I decided this wasn't worth it so I made my way back to customer service where we corrected the price and allowed the customers to leave. I hate being in limbo when we have customers waiting around, it sucks. And yes, we also need to update our infrastructure. The computers and the network its running on are struggling day to day. No one cares or bothers to address it, as long as we can still take peoples money. I KNOW the big guys are aware of the problems within their stores, but they won't give a shit until customers stop coming.

be smart give the guy a buck to go away.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    I like how you can get VGA cables from 3 different departments. HDMI cables from 4. USB cables from 3. CD cases from 2. You get the idea.  

On top of that price ranges are all different.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    how about memory cards for camera and other stuff like that?  

they are either in the cage, components, computers, or A/V  

super annoying when trying to find the items that are supposed to be on the floor, but the sales associate to lazy  
    and decides to print out a quote and let customer service handle looking ofr itLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Yes, I'm dredging up a "dead thread" in my insomniac state.  

Okay first, use of brain cells would go a long way in making Fry's a better business environment. So here are a few things that I suggest and did suggest while employed there:  

1) Allow customers to fill out their own Fry's Card applications by mail or online - possible approval for sale items even before entering the store. Better security makes for more customer confidence.  
    2) Allow for large ticket items to be purchased at the department in question.  
    3) Allow for separate lines for small orders or online orders. Might get more repeat customers if you don't have to wait in a line that goes all the way to the door just for a cable and some snacks.  
    4) Items requiring a quote should not be available for pick-up on the floor, makes for a very pissed off customer at FCO when they have to continue waiting.  
    5) PRICE SCANNERS IN THE AISLE FOR CUSTOMER CONVENIENCE  
    and more that will have to wait for when my brain is fully functional again, but you get the idea.