Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2007
    We aleady added the ability to add icons to your account and you can also add a picture. Please suggest any ideas you have for this site.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2007
    New software like vBB.  

The current software is so annoying and so unorganized. I bet its free lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2007
    I hate this crappy software. Most forum software is free. Some are really good though.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2007
    The quality of this forum mirrors the quality of our POS systems. Nuff said.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2007
    What do you guys seriously think about the performance of the application?Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2007
    It's really not so bad. Not great, but decent enough.
  1.  permalink
    I agree with everyone else here. This forum should use phpBB or Invision Power Board. Preferribly, I'd like to see this site run vBulletin, but a license runs $120/year. I know this because I run a forum of my own and have tried phpBB and am now running vBulletin.

I beg the admin of this site to PLEASE install phpBB instead of whatever the heck this is. I'd be more than happy to help too.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Tell me more about this vBulletin. I really need an open source solution in which I can modify when I want.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    [quote][cite] admin:[/cite]Tell me more about this vBulletin. I really need an open source solution in which I can modify when I want.[/quote]

vBulletin is the most popular forum software for professional websites.. but costs $160 for a owned license. phpBB is free and is the most popular forum software for middle-class websites.

For Fry's Forum, phpBB would be great. vBulletin would be even better, but if you don't want to fork over the money, phpBB will do fine.

Check out http://www.phpbb.com/. I actually do phpBB installations and modifying as a side internet job, but I'd be more than happy to do it for free. I like this site but the forum software is extremely annoying and a big turn off.

Examples of the forum software:

phpBB: <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/community/">http://www.phpbb.com/community/</a>
    vBulletin: <a href="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/">http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/</a>
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    What makes the software annoying? I can completely customize the software to look like phpBB or vBulletin. What features you like the most from vBulletin/phpBB? I am open to migration. I just felt that one was much easier for the user.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    [quote][cite] admin:[/cite]What makes the software annoying? I can completely customize the software to look like phpBB or vBulletin. What features you like the most from vBulletin/phpBB? I am open to migration. I just felt that one was much easier for the user.[/quote]

It's really hard to just pinpoint one feature. The overall user interface of the forum is different and buggy. I am very familiar with forum software and have been working with forums for over five years. I have never heard of this forum software. The average internet browser is used to phpBB/vBulletin forums. Both use php/mysql and are extremely efficient.

Probably the most annoying thing is that it is very hard to know which thread I have already read and which ones I have participated in.

Admin, are you a member of other forums? What forum software do they use? I can bet it is either phpBB or vBulletin. :)

I love the site and idea behind it, but if it were my site (its not, I know) I'd setup phpBB. It is really amazing what you can do with phpBB. vBulletin has even more features.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Feel free to call me Eric. The only sites I've visited are either using Drupal, WordPress, phpBB, or vBulletin. I've never seen this one, Vanilla, until I accidentally installed it from the Godaddy control panel. I thought it was really easy to use. It was actually pretty plain looking and I had to load 40 plugins to make it useful. Most of the plugins have been massively altered.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    i don't think we need any drastic changes. it works fine for me. appearance wise it looks a bit dull...maybe brighten it up a little?the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round
  2.  permalink
    Eric, you had to add 40 add-ons? Every feature I see on this forum comes standard with phpBB. Also, GoDaddy is the #1 domain name registrar, but one of the worst web hosting companies.

Do you have any instant messaging services? If you do, please send me a private message. I have AIM and MSN. I'd like to talk in a more instaneous manner about the forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007 edited
    I might be available on aim. My screen name is FrysForum.  

Vanilla's goal is to be plain like vanilla. The toppings are extensions/add-ons.  

I do have phpBB3 installed: http://frysforum.com/phpBB3Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
  3.  permalink
    Now all you have to do is switch the main page to direct to the phpbb forum. Although you might want to rename it to something like 'talk' or 'forum' or 'bb'.. or 'discussion' like the current one. I can mod it up if you want.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    I would like to port the data over. But if you want you can be one of the admins or moderators I guess.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
  4.  permalink
    As far as I know there is no converter for Vanilla to vBulletin, but it might be possible to do manually.

When I said 'mod it up', I meant help convert and modify the phpBB forum. Although it might be helpful for me to be an admin while I am doing the conversion/modifications.

I have added you to my AIM buddy list. I'll try to get a hold of you sometime soon. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    well I'm actually going to attempt to do this. I'm writing a script to transfer them over. The passwords are encrypted one-way hash so I'm not sure how to go about that one. If you message me I can send you admin details.Contact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    You guys should set up both forums and have the users choose which one they want to use. OLD and NEW, red or blue pill.Howard Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    That sounds liek the way to go, i checked out that kind of forum and it seams to be feature cluttered. Though it might be best in the long run depending on the direction of the commnunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    I like this one. Less is more type of thing. Like SNES vs Playstation 3. SNES wins. (Obviously) Dont go doing too much fancy stuff to it. I like the ease of use and the fact it highlights all the things Ive read already.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorhoward
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    i personally cant believe some hot chick is hanging out with a bunch of geeks like us. lolHoward Dean for America '08
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    I love a girl with a brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    what exactly are you saying about our Ayahu?i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    I wasn't specifically referring to her.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Ayahu what is your IQ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Why really knows their actual IQ from a legit test, not some lame internet thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    People with vile parents who dragged them to psychologists when they were in their youth to try and find out why they failed all their classes yet tested higher than any classmate? I was that unfortunate victim. Woe unto me my tragic past revealed!Superhero!
  5.  permalink
    What even classifies as a legit test? Are they always given by a psychologist?  

Eric, I agree with PhpBB. In the time I ran a forum I used that software, and I found it to be incredibly useful and flexible once I got used to it. Instead of allowing users to choose PhpBB or Vanilla though, you should make a skin that will mimic the look of Vanilla. That way users can choose the skin they want in their control panel without getting any inherent bugs of Vanilla.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    Yes the ones administered by a licensed psychologists are the ones considered legit. Half an IQ test is verbal. Repeating strings of numbers, etc.Superhero!
  6.  permalink
    I have ran message boards "professionally" and this one isn't all that bad, reminds me of plain vanilla BB. I don't think this site gets enough traffic to need split sections...
  7.  permalink
    The site seams buggy on IE, every other web browser works perfectly.