Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_slave
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    A couple of us employees here at the San Diego Fry's are interested in starting a union for Fry's but we are scared of Fry's Management retalation. I know what happened to the owner of this website so for the mean time we are going to be doing it under cover untill we have more people. If you interested or if you want more information just send me a private message on the site. You will go througha phone interview with one of us to make sure your not Management. Something needs to be done about Fry's Management its really getting out of hand how they are treating us, if Fry's Home Office won't help us were going to have to do this because we are tired of waitingn around and going through this. We as employees have rights and one of those rights is to form a union. Please let me know what you if you have any ideas or suggestion so I can talk to my fellow employees.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Rumor: Employee Got Fired Then Rehired At San Diego Fry's
    Fry's San Diego Is Saddened by all the firings and employees let go
    Starting a union for the Duluth and Alpharetta store!!!! Meeting update!!!
    What is the status of Store 15 San Diego Fry's?
    Theft at my Fry's Store from an employee
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    When asking people for their personal information, it may be safer to ask them to contact a personal or outside address rather than through here, just in case they start threatening people again. Make a g-mail account or something. Good luck!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfly
    DUDE I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL FRY'S DOES NOT LIKE UNIONS, THEY NEVER HAD ONE AND THEY WILL STOP YOU AT ALL COSTS INCLUDING FIRING YOU AND HUMILIATING YOU. FRY'S DOESN'T WANT A UNION DISCLOSING THEIR FUCKED UP AND EVIL MANAGEMENT. THIS ALSO MEANS THEY WOULD HAVE TO PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES MORE AND TREAT THEM BETTER COME ON ALL THOSE THINGS ARE THINGS FRY'S IS AGAINST. PLUS YOU CAN'T TRUST NO ONE HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT A REGULAR EMPLOYEE ISN'T HIRED BY SOME SUP OR MANAGEMENT OF FRY'S. I THINK YOUR BEST MEANS OF UNIONIZING WOULD BE THIS SITE CAUSE AT LEAST THE SITE OWNER IS WILLING TO GO DOWN FOR YOUR RIGHTS.
  2.  permalink
    Never gonna happen. Stop wasting your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    What are my rights as an ...employee, ...employer, ...union?  
    The National Labor Relations Act extends rights to most private sector employees and their employers. Click here for a list of industries not covered by the NLRA.  

Employees have the right to form, join, support or assist unions, also known as labor organizations, who may bargain collectively with the employer on the employees’ behalf seeking to modify wages or working conditions. Employees also have the right to engage in other protected concerted activities without a union seeking to improve their wages and other working conditions. Employees also have the right to refrain from engaging in these activities or to seek removal of a union from the workplace. (However a union and employer may, in a State where such agreements are permitted, enter into a lawful union-security clause). Employees covered by the NLRA are protected from employer and union discrimination, also known as unfair labor practices.  

Employers are also afforded rights under the NLRA protecting them from certain unlawful activities. For example, labor unions may not limit their productivity and insist that more workers be hired. For more information about the rights of employers covered by the NLRA, read The NLRB and You – Unfair Labor Practices (PDF*).  

Unions are protected by the NLRA from unfair labor practices, and guaranteed the right to organize, or attempt to form a bargaining unit in private sector workplaces covered by the Act. Unions, chosen as employee representatives, are entitled to engage in collective bargaining with an employer on behalf of employees to modify their wages and other working conditions.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

What are protected concerted activities?  

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) protects employees’ rights to engage in protected concerted activities with or without a union, which are usually group activities (2 or more employees acting together) attempting to improve working conditions, such as wages and benefits. Some examples of such activities include:  

a) 2 or more employees addressing their employer about improving their working conditions and pay;  

b) 1 employee speaking to his/her employer on behalf of him/herself and one or more co-workers about improving workplace conditions;  

c) 2 or more employees discussing pay or other work-related issues with each other.  

The NLRA also protects any individual employee’s right to engage in union support, membership, and activities.  

The NLRA protects an individual employee’s right not to engage in union activities or in other protected, concerted activities.  

Obtained from www.nlrb.govContact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008 edited
    First off, let me say I really doubt a union will be successful at Frys.

I used to work at Vons as my first job. I quit right before it was time to pay my union dues. Something like $300. My coworkers were stressed over it and were talking about making payments and such. I quit due to the poor pay and the fact that I had to join the union or be fired. I remember before working at Vons, there was this huge strike. And not a damn thing came out of it. The general consensus of unions in my experience is that they take your money and don't do a damn thing. I will say though, in my experience at Wal-Mart and Frys, both non-union, the managers have been total assholes/bitches and broke the company policies every single day. That is one benefit to a union.. it seems to make the managers are less controlling and more willing to listen. Or maybe my managers at Vons just liked me. I don't know.

All-in-all, I doubt it will work, and even if it did, it wouldn't do much except cost associates a whole bunch of money. Afterall, a union can only try to persuade corporate to do something. They can't force them to. And in a union such as Vons.. if there is a strike, you have to be part of it. So imagine going on a strike, not getting paid, and then when the strike is over, you didn't make any progress and now have bills to be paid and no paycheck.

Fry's sucks.. but unions suck too.Regular Member
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    How many of you still see yourselves working at Fry's by the time an effective union materializes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwhitenoise
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    Managers are already looking into this heads up I heard some supervisors talking about this and they are worried. I'm not saying to stop just take some extra steps to protect yourselfs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_slave
    I am happy to say that the union movment is moving slowing but very good, I have several people in support of the unions and thanks to the many people who have Private Messaged me on the site for more info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    There are just so many people working at Fry's, I so highly doubt you could unionize them in a timely manner without being let go.. but if you do, three cheers. Though admittedly, I would not PAY anything to anyone for some silly union, rather work somewhere else.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfly
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    Im in the union! I can't wait for management to start loosing their powers!
  3.  permalink
    whitenoise:Managers are already looking into this heads up I heard some supervisors talking about this and they are worried. I'm not saying to stop just take some extra steps to protect yourselfs.

GOOD. They fuckin should be worried.  

They couldnt be so stupid as to think they would get away with treating people like shit forever.
  4.  permalink
    Fuck management. Organized labor gave people vacations, overtime, and a 40 hour week. Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_slave
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    We had to stop the union because the few members we had were scared and worried. :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    Was Sean Archer on the camera system or watching you from the roof like he always doing?
  5.  permalink
    frys_slave: We had to stop the union because the few members we had were scared and worried. :(

You and your imaginary friends don't count as starting a union. I doubt you even work at frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    SDCherryPicker:
    frys_slave: We had to stop the union because the few members we had were scared and worried. :(

You and your imaginary friends don't count as starting a union. I doubt you even work at frys.

The only person with imaginary friends is you Tyler Bannook you fat ass owl. I can't wait for Greg to give you that beat down hes been promising us.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    flea:
    SDCherryPicker:

The only person with imaginary friends is you Tyler Bannook you fat ass owl. I can't wait for Greg to give you that beat down hes been promising us.

Hey, don't you say such derogatory remarks about him. He is one of The Mans.Superhero!
  6.  permalink
    flea:
    SDCherryPicker:

The only person with imaginary friends is you Tyler Bannook you fat ass owl. I can't wait for Greg to give you that beat down hes been promising us.

You mean Greg the guy who can't hold a job. The one who got fired from Frys? If he is your leader your dumber than I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    If we're talking about Tradeshow Greg I'm on Tylers side with this one.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorwindraver
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    the turn over rate at frys is so high a union seems kinda.. pointless... instead do what i did  

find a better job with 5 other people in your department... and quit at the same time... :D  

yea.. i did that.. it was quite hilarious to what a department fall apart cuz of lack of staff.... i felt sorry for the guys i left behind but for the management .. they were pwned..  

its ezier to just stand up to management.... i was in store 9 and home office is literally behind us.. those fools like to come over and act like they know what they were doing... dont' give in.. of course.. that requires you know what you're doing.. but if you do.. just do it and they can't give you crap
  7.  permalink
    Even if you try to start a union at your store, good luck most likely there will be a mole who rats you out. What you need to do is find someone who knows the in's and out's of the store to start the fire. Coming from management position at Fry's, if a union were to be created at a single store, Fry's would most likely close down the store, then to allow that union presence to spread to other stores. This needs to be collective across all stores...IMO
  8.  permalink
    I don't know what is really going on, but one thing I know for sure that working at Fry's is worst than slavery. At Manhattan Location for example, employee are being disrespected and don't know whether they coming or going....no warning what so ever, each employee are required and must pass 100% on a secret shopper and if you missed one score you will be automatically suspended, no questions asked with 90 day provision and in top of that you must get 2 Fry's cards a week or else. Too many treats and ridicule, managers will humiliate their employees in front of anybody with no regards of the human being, I don’t know if is just because of their ego and makes them feel important or just plain ignorant and doesn't know how to treat other human being with respect. The way employees are being treated by the managers are very small, no wonder most of the employees that works at Fry's have very low self esteem, most are even afraid to take breaks that they are entitled to, and are forced to punch out even though still helping a customer otherwise get suspended.
  9.  permalink
    I have been to the Manhattan Beach store. I am sorry to say some of the Cashiers are idiots and might be deserving of this treatment.
  10.  permalink
    Guest: I don't know what is really going on, but one thing I know for sure that working at Fry's is worst than slavery. At Manhattan Location for example, employee are being disrespected and don't know whether they coming or going....no warning what so ever, each employee are required and must pass 100% on a secret shopper and if you missed one score you will be automatically suspended, no questions asked with 90 day provision and in top of that you must get 2 Fry's cards a week or else. Too many treats and ridicule, managers will humiliate their employees in front of anybody with no regards of the human being, I don’t know if is just because of their ego and makes them feel important or just plain ignorant and doesn't know how to treat other human being with respect. The way employees are being treated by the managers are very small, no wonder most of the employees that works at Fry's have very low self esteem, most are even afraid to take breaks that they are entitled to, and are forced to punch out even though still helping a customer otherwise get suspended.

I don't think the 2 Fry's Cards a week isn't too bad from customer service. People will sign up if you continue to ask (keep knocking and you shall recieve). Other stores such as Best Buy, Sears, etc. have a similar requirement as well.Why is there an S in Lisp?
  11.  permalink
    I honestly don't think they have the same credit card quota as Fry's. You can apply online for Bestbuy and when I went to inquire, they just handed me the application to send in. No way for the employee to even get credit for it. Now, when I asked about Mervyns, the gal made sure to write her associate number on the application before giving it to me, said she wanted to make sure she got the credit for it. You should give the employee a reward if they get a lot or just require that they ask, but I don't think you should punish them with suspension just because no one wants a lamo Fry's Card.
  12.  permalink
    umm you mean mervyns that is closed nationwide ?? or the fact that you cant walk in to jsut about any national store nowadays without being asked to sign up for thier store card?? wow you are right fry's is just plain evil!! i think you should just quit and give your job to someone who actually cares about being able to support themselves.
  13.  permalink
    Yes, that mervyns, Just using them as an example. There's no problem with requiring that associates offer the store card to customers. The problem comes with disciplinary actions such as suspension or the threat of termination just because you aren't talking enough people into a store card with 22% APR, which has only has one place of use.

My comment was in response to "That Guy in Duluth" who said "Other stores such as Best Buy, Sears, etc. have a similar requirement as well." In those cases, they have other options of application (like online) and have quotas for a certain store or department which promotes teamwork and less competition between employees. Now, if employees go above and beyond and get more, they should get recognition and there should be incentives to do so. But giving someone disciplinary action for store credit card applications is stupid.
  14.  permalink
    I this economy good luck starting a union virtually anywhere. I am no expert at labor history, but generally I would think that starting a union in one of the toughest recessions since the great depression would be tough especially since most of the jobs are pretty much unskilled labor(eg. receiving) or low skill(accessory sales jobs, cashiers, etc.). Sure some of the sales jobs especially in components need some specialized knowledge, but in the current economic downturn there are a lot of people who have sufficient knowledge to be adequate for the job who are out of work and would be willing to take a pay cut in order to have a job for a while. Considering that Fry's hired all sorts of desperate and overqualified people after the dot com bust I wouldn't be surprised if they are hiring all sorts of overqualified people today. Unionized industries are often industries in which people stick around for a long time. It is hard to convince someone to strike if the ROI for the strike won't be positive for 5-10 years if they plan on leaving in the next year or two.  

While there are lots of commissioned salespeople in A/V or computers that have 10+ years under their belt with Fry's, most every other non-management position has 100%+ annual turnover rates. I've known a few people who were a cashier at Fry's for 5-10 years, but there are a lot of people back when I worked at Fry's who would last a week at Fry's before they quit. Even in this economy I still see new CSAs in training, which tells me that some people are either getting fired or more likely quit due to the pressure. There are some exceptions, but generally Fry's tries to operate with just enough cashiers to keep the line from getting crazy, which means that there isn't much downtime any time of year. The job isn't for the person who thinks that they can get their $8-9 to text message their friends for a couple hours and every once in a while take a customer.  

From personal experience I can tell you that when Store 7 tried to organize a union that they attached a notice criticizing the union with everyone's paycheck and when that didn't quell everything they flew Randy Fry out to the store the following week along with a few other corporate types. Ultimately they ended up firing the one guy that was the lead organizers of the union. While it against the law to fire someone for organizing a union the reality is that a job at Fry's isn't worth the cost of labor attorney and unless you kept good documentation I have a feeling that you might not get anything out of Fry's for your effort to file a lawsuit against them.  

Even if you created a union of just sales people I think you would still face real trouble in that I really think Fry's could find replacements easily, which would quickly break the union. Save for the components department I don't think finding a good salesperson is that hard. A lot of customers don't care if you can explain some of the more minute details about the products. While some customers really like someone that they perceive to be geeky a lot of customers could care less and some would actually prefer someone who isn't very geeky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Former_Frys_geek:Save for the components department I don't think finding a good salesperson is that hard.

Oh, if only my department manager thought the same. Sigh.
  15.  permalink
    so hows that union going at store 15....hahaha never gonna happen...not organized ...and no one wants to step up and be the leader...all talk..there will never be a union at any fry's...
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009 edited
    Step up and quit frys. Salesmen are a dime a dozen in retail.
  16.  permalink
    Because Brad Sailing would just LOVE it if you started a union. Ya, good luck with that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGBrucato
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorGBrucato
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
  17.  permalink
    And so the Frys powers to be had made GBrucato disappear like Jimmy Hoffa
    •  
      CommentAuthoraz2008
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    I recently worked in a retail grocery environment. I think there's a need for unions. There were a few occasional underhanded things done by management. But, what I saw was that the union (UFCW 99) was essentially irrelevant. It was called upon primarily by employees who really should be terminated for routinely poor performance (and occasional outright incompetence). It otherwise served little purpose.  

IMO, a union should foster the kind of collaboration this site does. Unions should be doing this. Helping employees share ideas, discuss both sides of the quandary of being competitive versus maintaining a professional (fair) work environment.  

What I saw was a union that just sits around waiting for someone to file a grievance. That translated into poor employees having more contact with the union than good employees. That tended to influence who the union represented, the decisions they made, the relevance they felt they had, etc.  

Again, I'm not anti-labor, anti-union. I really wish workers had a stronger voice. But, I just don't see the remnants of traditional unions being effective. They seem to be stuck in the relatively ancient "stick it to the capitalist bourgeois!" mode. They can't figure out how to evolve into Labor 2.0. A new era where workers are more sophisticated and a bit "bourgeois" too.  

Like everything in this country, there never seems to be a middle ground. It's either non-union and employees not having even a basic ownership stake in an activity which accounts for 1/2 their waking life. Or, it's union and the the loafers tend to make the most use of "representation."