Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I think it should be a requirement to have a degree in business in order to become a Sup 1 or higher. I mean who in their right mind would let people run multi-million dollar per week stores without ever taking a business theory class, years of projects at school, interships at Fortune 500 companies.....IS RANDY FRY HIGH? Hell at Best Buy you can't even be a Department manager w/o a degree!!!!!!!!!!!! Frys could be 10-15 times its size if it stopped practicing this "give everyone a chance" mentality. Just look at how big BB has become in half the time Frys has been around. It just takes up too many valuable resources and time to play these political correctness games with shareholder money (one reason Fry's will probably never go public unless to pay the estate taxes on the business if one of the Fry's brothers dies all of a sudden).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    "multi-million dollar per week stores"  

Someone needs to check their numbers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    Sasquatch:"multi-million dollar per week stores"  

Someone needs to check their numbers.

1.5 mill is kind of multi-million..:face-angel:I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    WHAT? Yes you can be a department manager at best buy without a degree- you're goddamn crazy. You don't need a degree to succeed. You need willpower and good social skills. Just look at Kanye West. Kekeke.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I can't decide if I like Flashing Lights, or not.
  2.  permalink
    AyaHu:WHAT? Yes you can be a department manager at best buy without a degree- you're goddamn crazy. You don't need a degree to succeed. You need willpower and good social skills. Just look at Kanye West. Kekeke.

Mr. West is AN EXTREME EXCEPTION TO THE RULES just like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates.
  3.  permalink
    AyaHu:WHAT? Yes you can be a department manager at best buy without a degree- you're goddamn crazy. You don't need a degree to succeed. You need willpower and good social skills. Just look at Kanye West. Kekeke.

You can....true....but if they have 2 candidates (there are always multiple candidates) they go with the person with the degree. My cousin was a store manager at BB for 3 years before accepting a position with Honeywell.
  4.  permalink
    meinside100:I think it should be a requirement to have a degree in business in order to become a Sup 1 or higher. I mean who in their right mind would let people run multi-million dollar per week stores without ever taking a business theory class, years of projects at school, interships at Fortune 500 companies.....IS RANDY FRY HIGH? Hell at Best Buy you can't even be a Department manager w/o a degree!!!!!!!!!!!! Frys could be 10-15 times its size if it stopped practicing this "give everyone a chance" mentality. Just look at how big BB has become in half the time Frys has been around. It just takes up too many valuable resources and time to play these political correctness games with shareholder money (one reason Fry's will probably never go public unless to pay the estate taxes on the business if one of the Fry's brothers dies all of a sudden).

So you would still be stuck as a cashier?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Thats bull, they go for the person with the most experience, which sometimes includes education. If someone has only a degree and someone else has 12 years retail management experience, who will win? The experience. People with degrees usually get "real jobs" not retail.Superhero!
  5.  permalink
    AyaHu:Thats bull, they go for the person with the most experience, which sometimes includes education. If someone has only a degree and someone else has 12 years retail management experience, who will win? The experience. People with degrees usually get "real jobs" not retail.

My cousin would seriously disagree with and at Honeywell, 2 years there and counting now, the degree is worth the same as someone with 5 yrs experience but no degree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Just about, although I think in normal operations it more about 4 years but that person with 5 years experience didnt go to college, started before the person with the degree, has no student loans and has all that experience built up and makes the same salary. I went to college for four years and did not get a degree, but people take me very seriously because I did GO for four years... I just kept switching majors. However, I'd like to point out, I make more than your managers by a long shot. Even without a degree. Admittedly, I also started early, graduated high school at 16, was already in college at 15, out of the house at 17, and managing a smaller retail store at 16 and big at 17, four years worth of college credits by 18. So I have a LOT of experience. But still, no degree. There you go. Modern success without degree story.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    No medal for you until you're in Maxim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I know, I'm getting there, jeez. Just need 1 million more myspace friends.Superhero!
  6.  permalink
    for get maxim i wanna see you in playboyi love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    No way dude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    Why Maxim, can just be the Fry's Forum model. ;DI shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    No way for playboy I don't pose nude.  

Punkzilla:Why Maxim, can just be the Fry's Forum model. ;D

I'll do that, when I finish my cape.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    I am genuinely looking forward to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    As am I.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    I will try and coerce some unwitting photographer into photographing it a la maximSuperhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    in case you didnt know gnome=greg

greg=moderator

this post = will be deleted...over and over again, by greg.

(greg this is a bot btw if you haven't realized it yet...checks every 10 seconds to see if this post is here.)
  7.  permalink
    meinside100: Frys could be 10-15 times its size if it stopped practicing this "give everyone a chance" mentality. Just look at how big BB has become in half the time Frys has been around. It just takes up too many valuable resources and time to play these political correctness games with shareholder money (one reason Fry's will probably never go public unless to pay the estate taxes on the business if one of the Fry's brothers dies all of a sudden).

The executives want to grow the company, true, but their primary motivation is to hold on to the money-stream they already have. Note that back when so many other chains were closing stores or their entire businesses, Frys' has kept their stores open. This had nothing to do with high profits and everything to do with slashing expenses (meaning hourly wages to bottom-rank associates) down to the minimum allowed by law.  

Also, their "give everyone a chance" strategy allows them to maintain a minimal level of productivity, even when they have ridiculously high turnover rates. It's sort of like a never-ending flow of migrant farm workers, but without that pesky "United Farm Workers of America" butting in and insisting that the workers get treated like human beings.  

Consider that Frys pays new-hires for a week's worth of training before they're thrown out onto the sales floor. Regardless of the quality of this training, it's still around 30 hours (at $8.00/hour) that Fry's shells out for the new hires to do almost nothing productive. If the new hires stay for a week of actual work, then Frys' breaks even and no tears are shed. The only way to well and truly screw Fry's out of money in this system is for entire classes of new hires to endure the training, then quit before they actually start work, and then make sure that every single person hired at every single Fry's does the same thing, for months at a time.  

Not impossible, to be sure, but very, very difficult.  

Oh, and I seriously doubt that the company will survive in its present form past the death of more than one of the Four At The Top. Yeah, there will be replacements named to the seats, but they won't actually be the Four, which means that they'll have different ideas as well as different strengths and weaknesses. Alternately, it will only take one brave soul to release a few key policy documents or financial records, and it will all come tumbling down.