Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Fry's Electronics Fry's dropped and broke Widescreen TV I just purchased 5 minutes earlier! Told me they are not responsible! Austin Texas  

Fry's Electronics  
    Phone: 512-733-7000  
    Fax:  
    12707 N MO Pac Expy  
    Austin, Texas, 78727  

This is the most absurd and unforgivable act I have ever witnessed by any business.  

On 4/28/08 I went to Fry's and selected a 65' Mitsubishi Widescreen DLP Television. The employees had it taken up front and asked me to go to the register. I purchased an extended warranty and paid my total bill using my credit card.  

Once I completed the transaction, I told I could pull my truck to the front and they would load it. I did as they said and went inside to let them know my truck was in front. They rolled the TV out to my truck and proceeded to pick it up and place it in the the bed, when one of the guys hands slipped off of the box and the whole thing went crashing to the ground, you could hear it break.  

Needless to say I informed them that I wanted a new TV. A manager was called and he came to me and said, 'Sir, I apologize for the inconvenience, but our policy states that you are responsible for loading your merchandise and if you choose to have us load it, we are not responsible for any damages which occur.'  

He even showed me this on some paper, I was in shock at the audacity of what this imbecile was telling me. I just paid $1800.00 for a TV with warranty, they drop and break it and tell me tough shit?  

He then proceeds to tell me I should take it home as it may not even be broken. I tell him he is nuts and I am not leaving without a new one or a refund. He refuses both! He even told me that the warranty I purchased would not cover it if it is broken as it is damage due to neglect, not a defect.  

Needless to say, I could tell there was no sense talking to this POS and I immediately called my credit card company hotline and explained the situation to them. In the meantime the manager was standing over my shoulder, I guess to see what I was going to do. As the credit card company rep started telling me not to worry about it, to leave the TV there, they will not honor the charge to Fry's, I had placed my phone on speaker so the manager could hear.  

He immediately became furious, turned beet red and ordered me to leave the store.  

I did as requested, taking pictures of the TV laying on its side on the ground, left it where it lay and drove off.  

I was not charged by the credit card company and will never set foot in Fry's again, ever.  

Cody  
    Austin, Texas  

Originally From: http://ripoffreport.com/reports/0/337/RipOff0337354.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Shows how much Fry's cares THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK AND IT PROVES IT! ALLAH ALlAH!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  2.  permalink
    some stores managers might be different from other store managersi love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    This one, clearly, is a buffoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrys_slave
    I smell a lawsuit
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    Fry's eats the cost. I find it funny you can sign some disclaimer that states its your responsibility if something happens but the card issuers agreement allows you to bypass this contract. Just remember this: Buy huge TV's on your credit card.i am a worm.
  3.  permalink
    i agree with worm. make all big purchases with credit card just in case there is a disputei love it when they call me big papa
  4.  permalink
    Did he sign at the end where it says frys isn't at fault when loading?
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    SDCherryPicker:Did he sign at the end where it says frys isn't at fault when loading?

But it's clearly Fry's fault.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    then y didnt he do it himself?  

quick whining if u cared about something that so expensive do it urself!Las Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Thats appalling, I would feel upset as well. But I have yet to meet a Fry's manager of your description. Usually the managers give you a refund on defective items. Even if they dont, all it takes is a call to the regional manager and usually they will refund you. Like the time I bought a defective camera... and they attempted to charge me for the batteries it ate in 10 minutes... (as, it had come with a set of batteries.. but part of the defect, besides turning off and on at random intervals, was eating these batteries!) Oh no, with the help of the regional manager I was able to obtain a full cash refund. You should have been able to, too.Superhero!
  5.  permalink
    worm:
    SDCherryPicker:Did he sign at the end where it says frys isn't at fault when loading?

But it's clearly Fry's fault.

But he can't do anything if he signed the waiver.
    •  
      CommentAuthorC4
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    SDCherryPicker:
    worm:

But it's clearly Fry's fault.

But he can't do anything if he signed the waiver.

True:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohnW
    The credit card company can do quite a bit.  

All they have to say is, "So you won't give this guy a new TV for the one you broke and this is YOUR store policy? How about we go ahead and cancel your ability to use our credit services?"  

I guarantee they will change their minds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpixiegrl
    Still that manager was mean! If it was right at the front door he should have done it. Yes he was within his legal rights but not his moral rights. Shame shame
  6.  permalink
    i agree with pixiei love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    biggysmalls:i agree with worm. make all big purchases with credit card just in case there is a dispute

I bet he used an American Express card...they are awesome. All other card companies would be like, "tough, better luck next time!!!!" I've had everything from meals to concert tickets to movie tickets reversed all because I called Amex and tell them I was not satisfied with the experience and/or service I got for my money. I went to go to see Slayer and Manson last summer and told the CSR (while ordering a replacement card) on how rough it was to see the show because it was lawn seats and all the way in the back and she REVERSED THE TICKETMASTER CHARGE!!!!!!!! When my 360 broke down I was covered by Amex's extended warranty program that comes free with all purchases.....CHECK THIS OUT.....they credited my account for the 360 plus tax ($424) so I can could buy a new one, even though the price is now 350, AND they let me keep the old one AND never asked or wanted proof that I bought a new with the credit.  

MY CARD IS AMERICAN EXPRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :face-smile::face-smile:
  7.  permalink
    amx fo lifei love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    If you don't agree to the terms, then don't sign them! And you should always read what you sign. Does this kind of customer service apply to all credit cards that have the AMEX logo?
    •  
      CommentAuthormeinside100
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008 edited
    worm: Fry's eats the cost. I find it funny you can sign some disclaimer that states its your responsibility if something happens but the card issuers agreement allows you to bypass this contract. Just remember this: Buy huge TV's on your credit card.

Our store manager told us once that Frys will sue a customer if he/she has a CC company reverse a charge that is legit. This is true.....about a month ago a customer came in with his lawyer because Frys was taking him to small claims court because the CC company reversed the charge for a microwave that kept on breaking and Fry's filed a suit against him since its not their problem it keeps breaking and he bought it fair and square.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    What a waste of money on Fry's part.
  8.  permalink
    They can only be held not liable if you signed a form that they are suppose to have all CUSTOMERS sign when doing a carry-out for any merchandise. This form should be located with the Loss Prevention department. If this form is not signed, they are liable for the damage...but to be honest, the manager should have taken care of you, most of the time they can send the TV back to the manufacturer as concealed vendor shipment damage, wink wink, but its all up to the manager...:face-crying:
  9.  permalink
    American Express is the BEST
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch: What a waste of money on Fry's part.

And time.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    AyaHu:
    Sasquatch: What a waste of money on Fry's part.

And time.

Fry's doesn't look at the total cost. Plus all they do is waste time
  10.  permalink
    File a small claims, go to court...you would, using the information I gave you, plus the how the situation was, WIN :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    There's a legal concept called "care, custody and control". Since the TV was under Fry's care, custody and control at the time it was dropped, they would be legally held responsible for replacing it. For the manager to claim that Fry's "policy states that you are responsible for loading your own merchandise and if you choose to have us load it, we are not responsible for any damages which occur", he must either think Fry's customers are total idiots (Wait! They do anyway!), or actually thinks he can get away with pinning this on the customer.  

If any place required me to "sign a form" stating they weren't liable if they helped me carry something out and dropped it, I wouldn't do business with them. Having seen how the gorillas at Frys handle merchandise, there's good reason why I tell people to never buy a big ticket item (something beyond a pack of gum) from Fry's. Did I ever mention the time a couple of Fry's employees let a refrigerator fall off the back of a delivery truck?
  11.  permalink
    Never have anythign delivered by Fry's, I have seen Tv's dropped, kicked, slammed around before it goes out for delivery
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Not that I was planning to get a fridge from Fry's but I'll keep this in mind.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    well at store 6 there were forklift races in the warehouse untill someone crashed into a pylon.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    At least it wasn't a python?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008 edited
    ObiWan: There's a legal concept called "care, custody and control". Since the TV was under Fry's care, custody and control at the time it was dropped, they would be legally held responsible for replacing it. For the manager to claim that Fry's "policy states that you are responsible for loading your own merchandise and if you choose to have us load it, we are not responsible for any damages which occur", he must either think Fry's customers are total idiots (Wait! They do anyway!), or actually thinks he can get away with pinning this on the customer.  

If any place required me to "sign a form" stating they weren't liable if they helped me carry something out and dropped it, I wouldn't do business with them. Having seen how the gorillas at Frys handle merchandise, there's good reason why I tell people to never buy a big ticket item (something beyond a pack of gum) from Fry's. Did I ever mention the time a couple of Fry's employees let a refrigerator fall off the back of a delivery truck?

honestly i would let the refrigerator fall, do u really know how heavy they are? im not gonna risk injury saving a stupid refrigerator from fallingLas Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    But it's a Samsung?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    cashier27:  
    honestly i would let the refrigerator fall, do u really know how heavy they are? im not gonna risk injury saving a stupid refrigerator from falling

Agreed - but...the Fry's lackeys made no effort in the first place to prevent it from falling. They were screwing around, not paying attention, and just let it fall off. They thought it was funny. FWIW this was at the Burbank store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    well i can tell you it is common practice to burn out computers rather than restore them and put them on the shelf if they don't have working recovery partitions. laptops are really painful to destroy actually they are really really resistant. Desktops on the other hand are easy the floppy power cable fits over any pin set you want including areas in the hd controller so plug 12+ directly to cmos reset jumper and let-er-rip.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Never buy demos at Fry's they have been abused so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcashier27
    ObiWan:
    cashier27:  
    honestly i would let the refrigerator fall, do u really know how heavy they are? im not gonna risk injury saving a stupid refrigerator from falling

Agreed - but...the Fry's lackeys made no effort in the first place to prevent it from falling. They were screwing around, not paying attention, and just let it fall off. They thought it was funny. FWIW this was at the Burbank store.

most employees in customer service are teenagers...the refrigerator never had a chance..lol  

the truth hurts..Las Vegas, NV / Store # 27 / Dept. 12
    •  
      CommentAuthorFelix
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    There was a time once in store 12 when two teenage associates (I swear they were on some sort of drug) were jacking around on the forklifts when they were told to get a 72" tv from the warehouse. Here are these two 18 19 year old kids who are obviously high operating an industrial machine about to lower a 72" brand new television from the racks. Attempt 1: forks were lifted too high; punctured the screen of the tv * Remove punctured tv * attempt 2: forks were not lowered enough, punctured television speakers. Needless to say these baboons were fired on the spot. I don't know if there was any legal action taken on them by frys or not, but I would assume so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    asdf: Never buy demos at Fry's they have been abused so much.

I bought a display camera at Radioshack for my sister and was soooo reluctant to do so because I know how Fry's demos are handled. But they doubled the return policy and so far it's been fine. She wanted the same model I have, but its phasing out and that was literally the only one I could find.
  12.  permalink
    This post is old but I feel the need to respond to it in case people search for the Austin, TX store and this comes up (it was the first hit).

In the waiver that someone responded with before, it has a small clause saying that Fry's is not responsible for any damage that may incur to the vehicle during the loading process (this never happens FYI; it's just legalities).

"Cody" read this part of the waiver and then refused to sign it. He then proceeded to try and load his 65' DLP into his vehicle, by himself, and dropped it in the process.