Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcl
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Hi, this looks like a great forum. I'm in New York and I hope Fry's opens a store here soon. I've bought lots of stuff at Frys.com from since it was Outpost.com, many Seagate harddrives and other computer parts over the years.  

I ordered a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV from Frys.com and when it arrived there was a very thin 1/4inch length crack right in the center of the screen. The box looked fine and undamaged so I signed for the DHL. The crack in the screen isn't deep and I wouldn't care as much if the backlight behind the crack didn't bleed light around it. It's not very noticeable showing a normal picture, but on a black screen(like when you change the channel) there is like a white halo behind the crack which is definitely noticeable.  

Can anyone advise me on what to do? I called Samsung and they said they can't cover what's considered 'physical damage'. I think Fry's.com has a 30 day return policy and I am definitely within 30 days, I'm not sure about restocking fees or return policy for larger TVs. If anyone has some advice on what to do I'd really appreciate it.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Electronics Return Policy--No Receipt Question
    Harddrive return policy of Fry's and Walmart
    Fry's Return Policy/Restocking Fees
    Will a less customer friendly return policy hurt Frys?
    Fry's Computer Return?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Sorry, most if not all of us are pretty unfamiliar with that area. I'd recommend checking out their FAQ section if they have one, followed by a call to Frys.com customer support. They list that number on the site, I imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthortinunidhu
    not sure how to send back to frys.com but there is no restocking fee for tv and u can return within 30 days
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    I think you just box it up, and pay the shipping charges. I believe you contact the site to inform them you got a damaged unit on arrival and would like a new one through a RMA. I haven't had to do a RMA before, so I don't know the full process.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    tinunidhu: not sure how to send back to frys.com but there is no restocking fee for tv and u can return within 30 days

This only applies to in-store purchases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    rcl: I'm in New York and I hope Fry's opens a store here soon.

Why would you wish that on New York?  

rcl: there was a very thin 1/4inch length crack right in the center of the screen.

Definitely return it and get your $$ back. Chances are that it was damaged in shipping, or at the Fry's warehouse. I'd recommend going to a legit retail store to purchase a replacement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcl
    Well I called Fry's.com and they were very smooth about it. It seemed like they processed a lot of these and weren't going to argue, plus I was within the 15 days let alone 30. They even covered the shipping with DHL pickup at my house. I'm pleased so far, now I just hope the next TV won't have something else wrong with it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    That's actually pretty fucking awesome. It exceeded my expectations. Good to hear you're getting taken care of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    rcl: I just hope the next TV won't have something else wrong with it...

So...you're getting another one from Fry's? If there's a problem with that, PLEASE return it and go elsewhere. Fry's isn't worth the hassle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Dude, you must be fucking retarded or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgolgo 13
    Sasquatch: Dude, you must be fucking retarded or something.

...he cant be retarded . hes the only one that knows who can bring balance to the force
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Why don't you call frys.com customer service and ask?Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    Sasquatch: Dude, you must be ******* retarded or something.

Why - because I dare to discourage people from purchasing big ticket items from Fry's? I've seen how they handle their merchandise. This clip will give you an idea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE  

BTW, I've heard that people who use excessive profanity have lower IQ's, and can only get jobs at Fry's - is that true?:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Fry's employees handle the product with as much care and grace as the next retail chain. And who's to say the shipping company didn't mishandle the item? Or the manufacturer themselves? Why on Earth would you avoid a store that consistently has better prices and a better selection than most other electronic retailers? And about the hassle- what hassle? The only thing that could have made the exchange go more smoothly would have been if the DHL people pulled down the man's pants initiated fellation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch: Fry's employees handle the product with as much care and grace as the next retail chain. And who's to say the shipping company didn't mishandle the item? Or the manufacturer themselves? Why on Earth would you avoid a store that consistently has better prices and a better selection than most other electronic retailers? And about the hassle- what hassle? The only thing that could have made the exchange go more smoothly would have been if the DHL people pulled down the man's pants initiated fellation.

Not to mention how much better Fry's is than say, Wal Mart, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics. Best Buy, the only place with remotely decent customer service, can't compare price wise. Etc.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Sasquatch: Fry's employees handle the product with as much care and grace as the next retail chain.

Two words - horse crap. I've watched as Fry's employees allow refrigerators and TV's to fall off of the backend of their trucks, how the boxes that computer parts come in are mangled, etc.  

AyaHu: Not to mention how much better Fry's is than say, Wal Mart, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics. Best Buy, the only place with remotely decent customer service, can't compare price wise. Etc.

Fry's has decent customer service? Since when? FWIW, I've always received good customer service from Best Buy whenever I'm looking for something. If the person didn't know the answer, they'd quickly find someone who did. Compare that to Fry's who will only make a WAG and walk away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    My point was, what makes you think other retailers are going to be any different? You think their teenagers care more?
  2.  permalink
    If you pay attention, you will see that all large items are tossed around that Fry's floor like its a football. Just pay attention to how high they stack the TV's in some stores, or the conditions of the boxes being stacked on each other. OSHA has rules and regulations regarding height when it comes to backstock, and Fry's fails to comply.:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Sasquatch: My point was, what makes you think other retailers are going to be any different? You think their teenagers care more?

Experience has shown me that other retailers ARE different from Fry's. Their owners/managers actually care. And yes, at least here in Texas, there are teenagers that actually care.  

And elusivetentionz is correct - if OSHA ever showed up with a surprise inspection, Fry's would get soaked in fines.
  3.  permalink
    "Gold Standard of Merchandising"!!! I have seen it all! I have seen stuff purposely damaged by associates, by supervisors and management. To be honest when a customer comes back with a big screen and the it is damaged I feel bad for them. Most of the time the larger items are carried out by our friendly non-speaking English associates. Before the carry-out is performed, a form needs to be filled out to the customer disclosing that we (Fry's) is not responsible for any damage that may be caused from Fry's assocaites handling the item during carry out. This needs to be done EACH AND EVERY time a carry-out is performed. Does it happen? I say 1% chance that it does! Why, because we never enforced the policy. We tried too, by no compliance from either LP or other management.  

If the TV is damaged, and was carried out by an associate, you can use that loop hole to make Fry's refund your money or replace/exchange the TV.  

Then Fry's will most likely fill out a Concealed Damage Form and send it back to the vendor. But it doesn't matter because AV is going to take a hit for it. But like it matters, the margin on audio/video items is so large, that a single TV won't hurt sales, let alone GP.:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    I didn't imply Fry's had good customer service, I think you need to take reading comprehension again. I said it is better than the others and the only place with good customer service, Best Buy, has shitty prices. It's always a sacrifice. I sacrifice service for price.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    ObiWan:
    Sasquatch: My point was, what makes you think other retailers are going to be any different? You think their teenagers care more?

Experience has shown me that other retailers ARE different from Fry's. Their owners/managers actually care. And yes, at least here in Texas, there are teenagers that actually care.  

And elusivetentionz is correct - if OSHA ever showed up with a surprise inspection, Fry's would get soaked in fines.

Let me try and be more clear for you. Fry's is an electronics retailer. Best Buy is an electronics retailer. Both companies hire basically anybody. Both stores have good employees, both stores have bad. It doesn't matter if they're teenagers, it doesn't matter that it's Texas. You have about the same chance of an incident with either retailer. Except Fry's is better.  

As far as OSHA is concerned... I have no serious doubts that if they looked hard enough they would find several infractions, but the resulting fines would hardly be a dent in what a store pulls in annually, let alone what our company makes in a year. [Much higher than what analysts predict.] Besides, we're nothing but a blip on OSHA's radar. OSHA's focus is on hazardous industries, where their regulations can do some actual good. Chemical plants, farming, construction, et cetera. I believe most retailers over hype the dreaded, looming OSHA in order to prevent incidents at a store level, which helps keep productivity high, while minimizing legal/medical costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcl
    elusivententionz: "Gold Standard of Merchandising"!!! I have seen it all! I have seen stuff purposely damaged by associates, by supervisors and management. To be honest when a customer comes back with a big screen and the it is damaged I feel bad for them. Most of the time the larger items are carried out by our friendly non-speaking English associates. Before the carry-out is performed, a form needs to be filled out to the customer disclosing that we (Fry's) is not responsible for any damage that may be caused from Fry's assocaites handling the item during carry out. This needs to be done EACH AND EVERY time a carry-out is performed. Does it happen? I say 1% chance that it does! Why, because we never enforced the policy. We tried too, by no compliance from either LP or other management.  

If the TV is damaged, and was carried out by an associate, you can use that loop hole to make Fry's refund your money or replace/exchange the TV.  

Then Fry's will most likely fill out a Concealed Damage Form and send it back to the vendor. But it doesn't matter because AV is going to take a hit for it. But like it matters, the margin on audio/video items is so large, that a single TV won't hurt sales, let alone GP.:face-monkey:

>>the margin on audio/video items is so large  
    Whats the margin on a 32" Samsung HDTV currently selling for $798 w/out shipping on Frys.com? Do they pay $300 per unit or something like that? I'm just curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu

>>the margin on audio/video items is so large  
    Whats the margin on a 32" Samsung HDTV currently selling for $798 w/out shipping on Frys.com? Do they pay $300 per unit or something like that? I'm just curious.

Usually in retail and electronics a retailer (Like Frys) marks up 100% so 798 = 399  
    In other words, 50% off is wholesale.Superhero!
  4.  permalink
    Sasquatch:
    ObiWan:

Let me try and be more clear for you. Fry's is an electronics retailer. Best Buy is an electronics retailer. Both companies hire basically anybody. Both stores have good employees, both stores have bad. It doesn't matter if they're teenagers, it doesn't matter that it's Texas. You have about the same chance of an incident with either retailer. Except Fry's is better.  

As far as OSHA is concerned... I have no serious doubts that if they looked hard enough they would find several infractions, but the resulting fines would hardly be a dent in what a store pulls in annually, let alone what our company makes in a year. [Much higher than what analysts predict.] Besides, we're nothing but a blip on OSHA's radar. OSHA's focus is on hazardous industries, where their regulations can do some actual good. Chemical plants, farming, construction, et cetera. I believe most retailers over hype the dreaded, looming OSHA in order to prevent incidents at a store level, which helps keep productivity high, while minimizing legal/medical costs.

You have go to be kidding me! Fry's hires mostly immature irresponsible individuals who can't speak English. I personnally never hired anyone into my department even though I had nearly 50 applications monthly. My staff was based solely on work experience and recommendations. If I didn't know you, then chances of getting hired was slim to zero, however If i knew you and someone I could trust would vouch for you, then chances are better.  

All we need is a 60 inch TV stacked to the ceiling fall on an associate. I don't know if you guys ever heard about an employee at store seven i believe, that fell off a ladder. Well none of those ladders had the pads on the steps to prevent slips, nor did they function correctly. Most of the ladders we were using were missing wheels, leaning to one side, or were just plain crap. I remember having to drag a ladder from one side of the store to the other side with one wheel missing. It was funny because I had to hop and slide and push the whole way to the other side. you figure Randy Fry would order new ladders, but you know what he did instead, he sent a memo to the store to re-weld the ladders wheel back on, and go to home depot to find sand paper to attach to the ladder steps. Weeks later, that same ladder broke again, and again, and again.  

Funny as it may seem this is the reality of Fry's. The tools, mainly ladders, that are for us to use, are worthless. And this may be biased towards some of the old stores, as the new ones do have forklifts etc.,. to move there inventory. However, store 7 still heavily and mainly relies on manual lifting and tossing of merchandise to get it where it needs to go with crappy ladders.  

Margin on Audio Video is awesome
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    elusivetentionz: Before the carry-out is performed, a form needs to be filled out to the customer disclosing that we (Fry's) is not responsible for any damage that may be caused from Fry's assocaites handling the item during carry out. This needs to be done EACH AND EVERY time a carry-out is performed.

Being involved in the negotiation of contracts, this is one thing that I'd never agree to. If a Fry's lackey drops the TV, its their responsibility. I don't even think Best Buy has this type of requirement.  

AyaHu: I think you need to take reading comprehension again. I said it is better than the others and the only place with good customer service, Best Buy, has sh*tty prices.

Actually, my reading comprehension is quite good. I would just respectfully disagree with you. IMO, Fry's service is worse that Best Buy or other places. Additionally, overall, Best Buy's pricing is actually quite competative. Fry's may have an occasional item on sale, and if Best Buy carries it, they'll price match.
  5.  permalink
    Everyone is a bargain shopper, whether at Fry's, Best Buys, or any other retail store, they all have a Price Match Gurantee. So why does Fry's stand out from others. Well look at the merchandise, we carry tons of generic brand items that Best Buy's doesn't. Plus our return policy can't be beat. Who's going to beat a 30 day rental policy?  

Of course, if a Fry's associate drops the item, then we are definately responsible, but however, what happens if the carry out was done professionally and correct. The concealled damage could have came from the customer who decided to drive his new 40 inch LCD display in his back seat, and didn't realize that going over speed bumps at 40 mph is not so good for the new TV.  

I have seen tons of litigation between customers and Fry's. I have seen the, "Judge I am handicapp" and you should feel sorry for me! I have seen plenty of court cases for Fry's in which the customer won because of this.  

One time a customer came into the store with a Nintendo DS that had the screen cracked. She admitted that she dropped the item and the screen cracked and wanted a new one for exchange under the PSC. We declined her request due to the terms of the contract. She let out her steam and abandoned the item at our location.  

A few months go by, and we received correspondence from her regarding the issue, and she threatens to take us to court. So upper management from home office gets a hold of this information, and well, in the end we save ourselves the litigation, and replace the item for her. Why waste time and money for court, for something so easy to resolve.  

Another time, this gentleman and his son come in with a labtop that they purchased the night before and claimed that there was a crack on the screen when they purchased it. It was a completely brand new Toshiba labtop. He said that when he got it home, and opened it, that was how it was. But the funny thing was that he had installed plenty of personal applications, set up his profile in windows and played around with WM player as it had tons of his personal music etc. But the customer told us that he never used it. LOL!!! I then asked him how did you use the notebook with the cracked screen as the damage was as if someone had driven over it with a car. :face-devil-grin:I then proceeded to ask the customer why didnt he bring the item back or at least give us a call to notify us of the situation. He said that he was too busy. Well the customer abandons the item at our location, and then proceeds to take us to court.  

Well this case we decided to defend our position. We go to to court, the man pleads and begs the judge for mercy as he is handicapp and can't afford to have a new labtop in this condition. Well the judge orders Fry's to exchange the labtop for him. YIKES...! Looks to me you can get away with just about anything when it comes to litigation and Fry's as a customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I remember having to drag a ladder from one side of the store to the other side with one wheel missing. It was funny because I had to hop and slide and push the whole way to the other side.  

Lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    Sasquatch: I remember having to drag a ladder from one side of the store to the other side with one wheel missing. It was funny because I had to hop and slide and push the whole way to the other side.  

Lol.

How about a lopsided ladder that leaned to the right were you have lean it against the wall to use it? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    I hate customers who bitch. If they bitch enough it seems, they get their way. So lame.I shit trains, Now what?
  6.  permalink
    Its true as long as you bitch, you will get your way! If home office gets a COR, then the COR just gets sent back to the store level to handle the matter. And 99% of the time the customer will get what he/she wanted, PERIOD!  

It's amazing how these return policies are entrusted to us at store level to enforce, however each time that a COR gets sent to home office, they want us to make the customer happy even though they are wrong! They need to defend our position because it makes us look stupid when they do whatever the customer wants, even though we declined to do so. Happened to me so many times, that when it comes time to PIC, I run and hide. As far as my department goes, if a customer bitches enough, I just walk away with a smile!:face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    As I read some of these comments, I have to ask - what if the customer is RIGHT? i.e. as in one case that was posted on "Fry's Experiences" where the TV was delivered damaged, and Fry's refused to do even an exchange.  

I can numerous instances where friends, and myself, were given a hard time over an exchange/return where the Fry's Customer (dis)Service person refused the return for some inane reason. I can recall once where I purchased the full version of WinXP Home, and realized later that I should have gotten the Pro version. The box was unopened, but the dillweed refused to allow the exchange/upgrade from Home to Pro. He claimed that they never took returns on software. Funny, I was able to show him all of the return stickers on software.  

The reason Fry's may have so many bitchy customers is because Fry's is a pain in the a** to deal with. Just because Fry's carries "generic brands" doesn't mean that it's actually quality. Like I said, I'll take Best Buy and their lack of generic junk over Fry's any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    The customer is ALWAYS right.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Pfft. Blasphemy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    AyaHu: The customer is ALWAYS right.

The customer is ALWAYS dumb and don't know the difference between Memorex and GQ. Memorex doesnt stand for Quality like Great Quality does.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    worm:
    AyaHu: The customer is ALWAYS right.

The customer is ALWAYS dumb and don't know the difference between Memorex and GQ. Memorex doesnt stand for Quality like Great Quality does.

And you know anything named after its quality sucks.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    The Sass renames his business, from the former, "Sasquatch's Quality Woolen Rugs."
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    worm: The customer is ALWAYS dumb and don't know the difference between Memorex and GQ. Memorex doesnt stand for Quality like Great Quality does.

Great command of the english language there - I bet you work for Fry's (and yes, that's an insult). :face-monkey:  

Contrary to your view, there are many knowledgeable, smart customers. They're smart enough not to waste their money at Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgolgo 13
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    ObiWan:  

They're smart enough not to waste their money at Fry's.

only on sale items of course....:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    I wouldn't even go to Fry's for their "sale items"
    •  
      CommentAuthorgolgo 13
    ObiWan: I wouldn't even go to Fry's for their "sale items"

NO............but believe me alot of people that think like you do. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    ObiWan: I wouldn't even go to Fry's for their "sale items"

He was talking about the "Alot of customers" you spoke of, not just yourself. Reading.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    well considering gq is one of the worst brands ou there along with memorex ............. hmmm well my view is all brick and mortar stores are useless for anything but a thief so make sure you keep it up with those best buys that are "never" stolen from frys.Looking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorRawr Rawr
    Suzukiman: well considering gq is one of the worst brands ou there along with memorex ............. hmmm well my view is all brick and mortar stores are useless for anything but a thief so make sure you keep it up with those best buys that are "never" stolen from frys.

GQ is Fry's in house brand. Very similar to Best Buys Dynex.  

Also, a lot of problems that I see people bitching about on here is pretty much true for all retail businesses. I've worked at a few. I'm lucky enough to work at a Fry's with great associates, and a lot of problems that are described on here are very very minimal in my store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Suzukiman: well considering gq is one of the worst brands ou there along with memorex ............. hmmm well my view is all brick and mortar stores are useless for anything but a thief so make sure you keep it up with those best buys that are "never" stolen from frys.

I remember hearing of a story of someone stealing an emprex mp3 player once. Aren't you suppose to steal good stuff?  

Rawr Rawr:

GQ is Fry's in house brand. Very similar to Best Buys Dynex.  

Dynex is one of those brands that bring people into the store lol. I would love to see walmart put ads out on its Equate product line.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    hmmmmm equate i guess it is a statement to really see who is smart and "equates" thecost of replacing it in a couple monthsLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBizz
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    why would you buy a tv online...Collateral Damage
  7.  permalink
    they don't make GQ anymore...its all about RIDATA and Optimum :) lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSuzukiman
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    ??? what are thoseLooking for my head ............... yeah the eight valve one yeah ....